Samsonite luggage

PJ71

Does anyone know if there's a store that stocks a good selection of Samsonite luggage in BKK, looking for Ecodiver 67cm item.

Looked online but a lot of outdated info unfortunately.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Does anyone know if there's a store that stocks a good selection of Samsonite luggage in BKK, looking for Ecodiver 67cm item.

Looked online but a lot of outdated info unfortunately.

Thanks

MBK would. Lots of luggage there.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Marin is correct. If you want real Samsonite, Central Department Store is the place to look.

The branch in Seacon Square on Srinakarin Road has a large selection and we were referred there from the branch in Mega Bang-Na where the stock was limited. The main store on Chidlom probably carries a large selection, too.

• Thanks 1

If you looking at decent quality and price, easier to find American traveller in Thailand

"In 1993, American Tourister was acquired by Astrum International, which also owns Samsonite. Astrum was renamed as the Samsonite Corporation two years later. Their products include backpacks, suitcases and wallets. Today, the American Tourister brand is sold as a more affordable brand in the Samsonite portfolio"

I just got back from Mega Bang Na, and by coincidence I went into the stand-alone Samsonite store there. Maybe it's new, as I don't think I had seen it before. It had quite a large selection of suitcases on display.

From the Samsonite Thailand website:

https://www.samsonite.co.th/th/stores

SHOP MEGA BANGNA

ROOM 1338, 1ST FLOOR, MEGA BANGNA 38, 38/1-3, 39, MOO 6, BANG NA-TRAT FRONTAGE ROAD, BANG KAEO, BANG PHLI,SAMUT PRAKARN,10540

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Don’t know Tumo at all

Well, Samsonite is as good as Tumo, it is all down to your own preferences and your wallet, and as well what is available. I just had a look around, and choosed American Traveller this time, because the prices in Thailand is higher than home. 

Had numerous samsonites, some of them lasted 20+ years, and now on my second American traveller, and I have travelled all my life for sport, work and holidays. Suitcases, duffelbags, carry on/hand luggage, camera/computer bags. So I had myeperience and preferences. Cant go wrong with either Tumo or Samsonite. Amercan traveller not so many years experience yet, but so far looking promizing compared to the price.

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

My 2 cents.

I travel 80% of my time in APAC & EMEA for business.

For carry-on luggage, I use Tumi (briefcase, shoulder bag) and Rimowa (trolley)

For checked-in luggage, i use a low-cost brand. These luggage are badly treated by baggage handlers and thieves will look for the most expensive brands.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the all the replies and input, unfortunately they don't have the model i'd like ( Ecodiver 67cm 71litre ), i have this laptop bag.

Tumi is better but that comes with quite a difference in price.

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Thanks for the all the replies and input, unfortunately they don't have the model i'd like ( Ecodiver 67cm 71litre ), i have this laptop bag.

Tumi is better but that comes with quite a difference in price.

Try Delsey

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

After years of seeing this I chose for myself non rigid shell luggage.

the rigid luggage tends to have better wheel construction and are more comfortable to wheel around.

most people take way too much stuff with them when they travel.

for most trips, a carry on is all you need. try to avoid checking baggage.  

and a hard shell carry on won't get damaged, usually has better wheels, and protects cameras, backup drives, etc... 

I used to travel a great deal and after several years of using 'mid range' luggage brands I decided to buy myself a nice quality Samsonite wheeled suitcase.  On the VERY FIRST TRIP it arrived in Dubai with a couple of wheels smashed off and the handle damaged.  Basically it was unusable. Bad luck probably...   Anyway, Emirates wouldn't compensate me (wheels not covered apparently).  I took lots of photos of the damage and got a copy of the damage report from Emirates but Samsonite knocked it back - 'not covered by guarantee'.  I was bitterly disappointed and out of pocket. I bought a cheap replacement ('Tripp' - a UK brand I think) still using it today although its very knocked about and on its last legs.

7 hours ago, retarius said:

Is Samsonite good? as good as, say, Tumi?

I had 2 Samsonite hard shells crack. One of the times was on Airasia. Airasia offered a maximum of 500 baht.

I switched to the Osprey Sojourn 80L. No problems so far.

Edited by zakalwe

The best luggage you can buy is Briggs & Riley, available in Thailand? don't know

Lived out of my suitcases for 30+ years in the oil patch, replace luggage every 2 years minimum,

My Briggs and Riley is 20 years old and looks like new.

If it gets damaged you send it to a repair depot (I have) they fix it free of charge OR if it's not fixable they will replace it with a new one.

Tumi is overpriced 'name' luggage

Samsonite will fall apart

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Tumi is overpriced 'name' luggage

Samsonite will fall apart

Have 4 samsonite and 1 carlton (3 suitcases and 2 hand luggage) bought them circa 1996 and after extensive travels all over the planet the exterior shows some small scars but they are overall still in good condition.

Over the years, I've had great luck with Samsonite suitcases and (especially) briefcases.  But I wonder if they've hopped on the corporate bandwagon and a) started "taking cost out of the product" and/or b) launching a line of low cost garbage to leverage the name recognition for the mass market.

For the past 20 years, my luggage has gradually gotten cheaper and more disposable, and I can't say I regret that decision.  And, the older I get, the more of my luggage has wheels.  Right now, I'm traveling with a BigC wheeled suitcase that I bought for some unplanned goodies that caught my eye, an American Tourister wheeled carry on (excellent and has lasted 15+ years of heavy use) and a Decathlon backpack for my laptop.  After about 10 CN-TH trips with the BigC cheapo, if I have to bin it, I'd still be happy with the purchase.  But it still looks new and the wheels are still quiet.  Same with the Decathlon backpack.  Excellent value.  

Rant over...  Where are the Samsonites currently made?  Staying up here in China, that's not a China bash.  They are very capable of making excellent stuff here, if you pay attention to quality that you buy.

14 hours ago, Denim said:

The problem with all ' solid ' type luggage ( many brands ) is that their rigid construction has no play in it. Many times I saw this type of case pop open ( even when locked ) If dropped vertically on one of its corners.

Dropping a case, vertically on to one of its corners, would be a problem with the @rsehole baggage handlers, wouldn't it, not with the case, surely?  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1