Restaurant Reviews in Chiang Mai.

SamSanuk

I’m not out to bring damage to any particular restaurant but I have to wonder about food reviews on social media here in Chiang Mai.

In my case, a restaurant popped up on my Facebook page and looked great. I never heard of this place, so I went to Google Maps and as I normally do, read the reviews. Well, the last ten reviews were horrible. Mostly 1 star, some with comments and pictures. Everything from food had no taste, was overpriced, and the owner was rude. Even a photo of the bathroom urinal with a cockroach in it. Yikes!

So I went back to Facebook and left a comment about the plethora of bad reviews. I imagine the owner himself read my comment and immediately replied, suggesting I ignore the reviews as they were written by a competitor. He suggested I visit and would even not charge me if I felt the food was that bad.

I know restaurants are in a tough spot, especially with thin margins, and generally I get recommendations verbally from friends. However, on places I know nothing about, reviews can help a decision. Either the fellow above has serious problems or one serious hater. 

Edited by SamSanuk
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

So you place no value in researching and knowing what others experience in life unless it's all good... 

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

So you place no value in researching and knowing what others experience in life unless it's all good... 

Most people that want to write bad about a business are not worth taking notice of.

WE have received bad reviews by people that have never used our business. Any attempt to have the reviews removed has been futile.

• Haha 1

There are restaurants and eateries that I love and where I am a frequent flyer, and yet I never ever write reviews about them. In fact, the less people go there the better for me. I also never ever write bad reviews about places where I was disappointed. I simply tell my friends.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

I’m not out to bring damage to any particular restaurant but I have to wonder about food reviews on social media here in Chiang Mai.

In my case, a restaurant popped up on my Facebook page and looked great. I never heard of this place, so I went to Google Maps and as I normally do, read the reviews. Well, the last ten reviews were horrible. Mostly 1 star, some with comments and pictures. Everything from food had no taste, was overpriced, and the owner was rude. Even a photo of the bathroom urinal with a cockroach in it. Yikes!

So I went back to Facebook and left a comment about the plethora of bad reviews. I imagine the owner himself read my comment and immediately replied, suggesting I ignore the reviews as they were written by a competitor. He suggested I visit and would even not charge me if I felt the food was that bad.

I know restaurants are in a tough spot, especially with thin margins, and generally I get recommendations verbally from friends. However, on places I know nothing about, reviews can help a decision. Either the fellow above has serious problems or one serious hater. 

Defamation laws be careful writing refiews. I just look at the average score on google and normally accurate

We like Khua Lek for informal Thai, nicely located on the river.

We also like The House and We La Dee for upmarket Thai food

Salsa Kitchen does excellent Mexican food

Beast Burger does a good burger

Bake and Bite for Breakfast

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Rajdarbar Indian restaurant on loi Kroh.

Au Der auf German buffet 230bht.

They are the only 2 restaurants in CM with visiting.

Almost forgot Khualek cafe near the iron bridge is perfect for a riverside lunch. Sit at the tables right beside the river.

Au Der auf German buffet - I'd be interested, but, no place to park that I can see.

18 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

So you wrote about a consensus of the reviews about a restaurant you have no first hand experience about.  you definitely have too much free time on your hands

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Its called Auf Der Au

Like the Oasis song

Auf Der Au , you're my Wonderwall 

He must have been only once or twice.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

I have not read through the comments. My first reaction, having lived in Thailand going on 13 years is that there is a substantial difference between western nations and Thailand as regards slander/libel law. In the west ... if I call someone a thief and they are, in fact a thief, the person cannot charge me with slander/ libel. Here if you state or print that a business or person has done something, even if true ... you can be sued for damages (yes, sometimes cited as loss of face). In my experience, I vote with my feet, never dealing with that business again and, in private, would warn folks off out of regard for others.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do notpost online reviews in Thailand unless they are very positive

If you do not like the food you get for lunch pay and go somewhere else

How broke are you?

For Buddha sake you risk would risk legal actions  and jail to get another Trip Advisor rating?

The mind boggles

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How many restaurants have you visited in CM to make that claim ?

The three restaurants you you mention were all located in the red light street , there are more pick up bars than restaurants there .

Is that the only street  that you have been to ?

Au Der Auf and Khualek Cafe are on the road of rubber trees running next to the Ping river.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Au Der Auf and Khualek Cafe are on the road of rubber trees running next to the Ping river.

Auf Der Au was previously located in Loi Kroh before it recently  moved location and the Khualek Cage is a few seconds walk from Loi Kroh , 50 meters or so away 

25 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Auf Der Au was previously located in Loi Kroh before it recently  moved location and the Khualek Cage is a few seconds walk from Loi Kroh , 50 meters or so away 

The bottom end of Loi Kroh is not a red light area. 

Down under pub is near the iron bridge too and that's some hike if you want to get to the girly bars. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

The bottom end of Loi Kroh is not a red light area. 

Down under pub is near the iron bridge too and that's some hike if you want to get to the girly bars. 

Its down the other end of the road , a few minutes walk 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Our experience is that at least 50% of restaurants self promote and whilst having excellent reviews, many are often rubbish.

I know this for a fact. In my hotel there is a coffeeshop that uses Grab. The owner (farang) has himself left glowing 5 star comments, as well as his friends. This especially happens after a real 1 or 2 star review shows up. 

Edited by SamSanuk

1 hour ago, Wrwest said:

I have not read through the comments. My first reaction, having lived in Thailand going on 13 years is that there is a substantial difference between western nations and Thailand as regards slander/libel law. In the west ... if I call someone a thief and they are, in fact a thief, the person cannot charge me with slander/ libel. Here if you state or print that a business or person has done something, even if true ... you can be sued for damages (yes, sometimes cited as loss of face). In my experience, I vote with my feet, never dealing with that business again and, in private, would warn folks off out of regard for others.

Yes, that’s why I didn’t mention the name of the restaurant.

However, I did go back and looked at a full years reviews on Google Maps, and its amazing how they ping pong between 5 star and 1 star reviews. Either it’s a tremendous meal with a lovely owner… or someone got sick, the food is disgusting and the owner is arrogant. To be honest, I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

• Thumbs Up 1