Krungsri Auto predicts minimal growth in new auto loans despite EV boom

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The sales are probably closely related to population at each town, your post means nothing

I disagree and if my post meant nothing why do you bother to reply 

if you want to read a post that means nothing I suggest you re-read your own post

I think all the ICE vehicle dealerships are worried.

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

It’s a pointless post. If want a Tesla, you have to go to BKK. There are only 2 dealerships in Isaan for BMWs. A list of where is where EVs are registered tells us nothing. 

It tells us  that 

69% of all EV's sold last year was sold in the  Bangkok area

31% were sold in the rest of the country

and this post indicates that EV's have a long way to go to crush the legacy auto brands

Number of cumulative sales of each brand, January - December 2023

Number 1: Toyota, sales of 265,949 vehicles Market share 34.3%

Number 2: Isuzu, sales of 151,935 units Market share 19.6%

Number 3: Honda, sales of 94,336 units Market share 12.2%

Number 4: Ford, sales of 36,483 units Market share 4.7%

Number 5: Mitsubishi, sales of 32,668 units Market share 4.2%

https://www.headlightmag.com/2024-01-10-sales-report-2023/

Number 6: BYD, sales of 30,432 vehicles Market share 3.9%

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Meanwhile in China limited placed on % of new energy vehicles on ferries

Myriad of issues for NEV owners

The difficulty in securing ferry tickets for NEVs leaving the island is mainly due to Hainan’s Department of Transportation rule that the number of NEVs carried on a ship must not exceed 10% of the ship’s vehicle quota, and the total number of vehicles must not exceed 18. This is because the environment of a passenger ferry could compromise the safety of electric vehicle (EV) batteries — NEVs are prone to fire in high temperatures or when they are not charged properly.

https://www.thinkchina.sg/more-chinese-ev-brands-falter-market-realigns

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

my statement is supported by a media link your statement is supported by empty nothing

highest number of registrations is Bangkok, with 52,751 vehicles,

which means 69% of all EV's sold last year was sold in the  Bangkok area

31% were sold in the rest of the country

Chiang Mai, with 3,083 vehicles, and in third place is Chonburi, with 2,392 vehicles.

Number 4 is Songkhla Province with 1,614 cars, Khon Kaen 1,409 cars, Rayong 1,283 cars, Ubon Ratchathani 1,190 cars, Surat Thani 1,177 cars, Phuket 1,039 cars and Udon Thani 965 cars

https://www.newsdirectory3.com/analysis-of-electric-vehicle-registrations-in-thailand-and-expansion-of-charging-stations/

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

You mean Chiang Mai and Chonburi are sparsely populated provinces?

Bangkok has approximately 10 times the population of Chonburi, it is also a lot more densely populated which lends itself to EV's.

Chonburi has approximately half the volume of EV's per capita, which is not unreasonable considering it is much more sparsely populated and many of the sales shown as Bangkok were people from Chonburi because their province's dealerships were in the process of opening up.  All your post proves is that you are a bigot.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spellong
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

69% of all EV's sold last year was sold in the  Bangkok area

Any vehicles we see up here in Surin that are the least bit unusual or expensive have BKK plates on. All the Tesla I've seen here have BKK plates on them  - so what? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's a totally untrue statement.

Chiang Rai town sports 2 MG dealerships, 2 BYD dealerships, 1 ORA dealership, 1 Deepal dealership and a NETA dealership.

Those dealers have done their research and they totally disagree with your statement.

You are absolutely 💯 right, electric is the way of the future. Let's hold hands and start the journey in small 4,000 HP steps at the time.

This way we can produce more jurassic bio-fuel faster and better, to enjoy 😉 our ICE vehicles. 

• Confused 2

Back to the OP, I'm surprised anyone thinks the take up of EV's isn't going to cannibalize sales of ICE's.  With the Thai population apparently shrinking, I'd expect the entire auto market to shrink some. 

Unless, of course, gub'ment policies actually increase wages so more Thais can afford to buy a 4 wheeler instead of a scooter.  Then the auto market may grow.  But that ain't gonna happen.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Back to the OP, I'm surprised anyone thinks the take up of EV's isn't going to cannibalize sales of ICE's.  With the Thai population apparently shrinking, I'd expect the entire auto market to shrink some. 

Unless, of course, gub'ment policies actually increase wages so more Thais can afford to buy a 4 wheeler instead of a scooter.  Then the auto market may grow.  But that ain't gonna happen.

I agree 100%, the overall car market is not going to grow significantly, the market share of EV's as new sales is going to increase, that can only mean legacy ICE vehicle share is going to drop.

We can all extrapolate from there what that means, dealerships closing or consolidating, range of ICE models decreasing, price war on ICE vehicles which is great for the consumer, etc etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We can all extrapolate from there what that means, dealerships closing or consolidating, range of ICE models decreasing, price war on ICE vehicles which is great for the consumer, etc etc

When I was a kid in the USA of the '60s, we had Chevy dealers, Ford dealers, Buick dealers, etc.  Nowadays, we have dealers who sell Fords and Toyotas and whatever, off the same patch of asphalt.  I don't know what dynamic drove that consolidation, whether it was a change in the balance of power between dealers and mfg's or what. 

But I anticipate we'll see the same thing where the ICE dealers also sell EV's of a different brand off the same piece of asphalt.  (Not the same lot, mind you.  They usually seem to be separated by a row of flags.  But the same asphalt and the same dealer's name.)

On 3/13/2024 at 7:19 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

You are absolutely 💯 right, electric is the way of the future. Let's hold hands and start the journey in small 4,000 HP steps at the time.

This way we can produce more jurassic bio-fuel faster and better, to enjoy 😉 our ICE vehicles. 

Oil

Dinosaurs pumping dead Dinosaurs out the ground for Dinosaurs driving ancient technology exploding dead Dinosaurs to move their vehicle forwards before it goes the way of the...you guessed it...Dinosaurs.

• Like 1