An advice needed - buying a used car

I want to buy a used car in Thailand. But, since I am completely incompetent when it comes to car motors and other parts, I am quite worried about being cheated and ending up buying some junk. What can I do to avoid this scenario? Can I hire somebody to help me with the process of choosing the right vehicle? Any other ways? Thank you!

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've fettled the topic title for a bit more clarity.

It's worth noting that used cars tend to hold their value here.

So, if you intend keeping it a long time, it may actually pay to buy new.

That would be my way ahead too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've fettled the topic title for a bit more clarity.

It's worth noting that used cars tend to hold their value here.

So, if you intend keeping it a long time, it may actually pay to buy new.

I plan to buy a used car for around 50 k usd. A new one will cost at least 100 k and that is amount I don’t wish to pay for a car. I would definitely go for a new one if I wanted to buy a less luxurious brand.

4 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

I plan to buy a used car for around 50 k usd. A new one will cost at least 100 k and that is amount I don’t wish to pay for a car. I would definitely go for a new one if I wanted to buy a less luxurious brand.

which brand ??

i.e. BMW premium selection.

https://promotion-bmw.com/bmw-used-cars/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Something to think about Thais don't like buying used cars.

There are so many accidents here a person would be fortunate to buy one that has not been crashed or have mechanical issues. I guess you can try to get historical information, but is it truly reliable?

Anyway, good luck on your purchase.  Toyota does seem to have a decent plan for their used cars. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hellfire said:

I want to buy a used car in Thailand. But, since I am completely incompetent when it comes to car motors and other parts, I am quite worried about being cheated and ending up buying some junk. What can I do to avoid this scenario? Can I hire somebody to help me with the process of choosing the right vehicle? Any other ways? Thank you!

You should checkout the cars for sale on this forum

Here is one example already sold

On 3/15/2024 at 11:33 AM, Hellfire said:

If I were in your situation I would ask a car repair mechanic whom I know to inspect the car. Pay him for the service and his time.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 12:36 PM, Hellfire said:

Such numbers!!!

• Agree 1

On 3/15/2024 at 11:33 AM, Hellfire said:

Is it the first time in your life that you buy a car?🙏

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Charging at home a plus, though not a complete necessity, since many malls and even Lotus's now have charging cable.  No more hassle than topping up at petrol station ...

:huh:  Earth to KhunLA ...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

:huh:  Earth to KhunLA ...

What's so hard to understand.   I could top up the EV at Lotus's on my weekly Swensen's visit.   Really don't need to charge at home.   If living in Krung Thep, who doesn't hit a mall once a week.   You all do go food shopping once a week.   There's more than enough CS conveniently located in most areas.   

When we're O&A, charging isn't an inconvenience at all.  Always one where we're stopping, or near where we're eating or shopping, and guarantees a parking spot ... that's a plus in itself.

Oh Ye' of Closed Minds :coffee1:

Y'all crack my up.   Even when O&A, if people are out as much as we are, there is no inconvenience owning an EV. 

Seriously ... after 3+ hrs on the road, just the same as when owning an ICEV, we're stopping at a PTT Park; for a 'P', for a dog walk, at least 'P'ing", then browse the vendors and get a munch.  That's a given and takes about 30 mins, at least.

Oh look at that ... there's a CS here, how convenient, so why not top up the car, while we're doing all the above ...

... same as owning an ICEV, just don't have to Q up and wait for them to top it up, just plug in ....

.... and .... cost a lot less :coffee1:

Y'all over thinking sh!t ... stop making life hard ...

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Is it the first time in your life that you buy a car?🙏

Yes. But I have a six years driving experience (driving rental cars and also my former gf’s car). 

• Thumbs Up 2

Have it checked out at a reputable, company,  ask for a complete safety check,  Tyreplus found worn rear hub bearings on a car I had, and that was just on an annual check, the main thing IMO is low mileage, not the year.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Have it checked out at a reputable, company,  ask for a complete safety check,  Tyreplus found worn rear hub bearings on a car I had, and that was just on an annual check, the main thing IMO is low mileage, not the year.

Can a car's true mileage be somehow compromised?  Same question about the car's history: can a serious accident be hidden from the car's official history? 

Edited by Hellfire

1 minute ago, Hellfire said:

Can the true car's mileage be somehow compromised? 

Yes but with newer digital ones not so easy, and service records will show mileage, I know with Nissan that all work done by them is on their central computer, showing job done and mileage, and what province. I even get an SMS saying a oil change is due as they go by the date not the Mileage. 

Even as me as a mechanic there is not much I can do to check out a car, on site, take it for a road test, floor it, see how it performs,  so it gets hot, idles ok no shaking of engine, temp gauge is on normal, go back and see if there are any oil leaks, check tyres for wear, To check Wheel/hub bearings then it would need to be jacked up, brake discs can be viewed for wear and scores, pads also can be seen. Even Car tents have a reputation to keep. I have brought 2 cars from Car2car site, 2014 build one I have had for 6 yrs and no problems outside of normal wear and that was just the brakes.. Engine is fine no oil needed between 10k oil changes. But both are very low kilometers for their year. The last one I brought the "tent" even went and put it in my name (pink ID card) and a new oil change, then delivered it to KC ferry the next day, as I didn't want Mrs. B driving it from Chonburi, she is a very slooow driver. (for what its worth the Tent from memory was called BestCars.)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Omg, don't even think about it, I would avoid buying a used car in Thailand with your skilset. 

Spend the extra, buy a new one, you're covered by manufacturers warrantee etc. 

I've always had "top of the range cars" in NZ, but when I came here I didn't think it was necessary what with all of the crazy drivers and potholes around, so I bought a second-hand car (private sale) for my own use pottering around the place.

A friend of mine came over from Oz and we went down to Rawai to have a look around and got stuck in a traffic jam on the way back and my friend noticed I was keeping an eye on the temperature gauge, and when I explained that it had overheated in the past, his answer was pretty straightforward – – – "look mate, you've always had good cars in the past, so why are you running around in this heap. Buy a new one and it will probably see you off this mortal coil, and you won't have any worries about breakdowns etc".

So I went out and bought a new Suzuki Swift in 2012 and it has been a great little car and very reliable, and the Suzuki service garage here is excellent.

So I will echo what others have said and encourage you to look at buying a new car. Also look at buying a car which has a service centre/garage near your home.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hellfire said:

Yes. But I have a six years driving experience (driving rental cars and also my former gf’s car). 

When we bought our second hand Fortuner the Toyota garage could follow the whole history. So I could see what was done the last 2 years. And after a test drive and inspection by the Toyota garage I bought it.

I would always prefer an authorised dealer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I've always had "top of the range cars" in NZ, but when I came here I didn't think it was necessary what with all of the crazy drivers and potholes around, so I bought a second-hand car (private sale) for my own use pottering around the place.

A friend of mine came over from Oz and we went down to Rawai to have a look around and got stuck in a traffic jam on the way back and my friend noticed I was keeping an eye on the temperature gauge, and when I explained that it had overheated in the past, his answer was pretty straightforward – – – "look mate, you've always had good cars in the past, so why are you running around in this heap. Buy a new one and it will probably see you off this mortal coil, and you won't have any worries about breakdowns etc".

So I went out and bought a new Suzuki Swift in 2012 and it has been a great little car and very reliable, and the Suzuki service garage here is excellent.

So I will echo what others have said and encourage you to look at buying a new car. Also look at buying a car which has a service centre/garage near your home.

Yep, for the money a Suzuki is hard to beat.......:clap2:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well, as I wrote above, I am interested in a flashy, expensive-looking car. And these, as you probably know, are especially expensive in Thailand. The idea of buying a car for 50k usd is quite idiotic by itself, but to buy it for 100k+ is beyond any adequacy limit (unless one is pretty rich, which I am, unfortunately, not).  So a used car is my only option. 

I have one more question. Do foreigners get any car loans in Thailand? Are there strict requirements?

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What's so hard to understand.   I could top up the EV at Lotus's on my weekly Swensen's visit.   Really don't need to charge at home.   If living in Krung Thep, who doesn't hit a mall once a week.   You all do go food shopping once a week.   There's more than enough CS conveniently located in most areas.   

When we're O&A, charging isn't an inconvenience at all.  Always one where we're stopping, or near where we're eating or shopping, and guarantees a parking spot ... that's a plus in itself.

Y'all crack my up.   Even when O&A, if people are out as much as we are, there is no inconvenience owning an EV. 

Seriously ... after 3+ hrs on the road, just the same as when owning an ICEV, we're stopping at a PTT Park; for a 'P', for a dog walk, at least 'P'ing", then browse the vendors and get a munch.  That's a given and takes about 30 mins, at least.

Oh look at that ... there's a CS here, how convenient, so why not top up the car, while we're doing all the above ...

... same as owning an ICEV, just don't have to Q up and wait for them to top it up, just plug in ....

A sure sign of mental illness is when one begins believing one's own bullsh¡t.

:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1