An advice needed - buying a used car

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What's so hard to understand.   I could top up the EV at Lotus's on my weekly Swensen's visit.   Really don't need to charge at home.   If living in Krung Thep, who doesn't hit a mall once a week.   You all do go food shopping once a week.   There's more than enough CS conveniently located in most areas.   

I haven't been to a shopping mall in years and the place I do grocery shopping does not have charge stations for sewing machines.

16 hours ago, Hellfire said:

I have one more question. Do foreigners get any car loans in Thailand? Are there strict requirements?

Yes they can but most finance companies will want either a very high deposit or employee payslips.

Find a Company Directors 10 year old car = good buy...

Eg Audi A6  New 3.6 million.......... 1 owner 10 year old Company Directors car around 550,000 baht at todays prices

mine had 110,000 km, it was perfect condition + very little problem in the following 10 years I owned it + lost 100.000 baht in the 10 years I owned it.

• Agree 1

On 3/15/2024 at 12:48 PM, Hellfire said:
On 3/15/2024 at 12:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

which brand ??

i.e. BMW premium selection.

https://promotion-bmw.com/bmw-used-cars/

The prices seem to be 10-20% higher than on one2car website. Is it worth it?

That depends how much 'deal assurance' and warranty is worth it to you. 

The vast majority of cars on one2car are from the 'tents' (private dealerships) - so you are taking of a chance, as someone who is 'not mechanically minded' (and really, who is with modern cars)... dealership warranty can mean a lot to us. 

Audi does have a clearance sale each year

Q2 35 TFSI (white label) special price 750,000 baht, only one car. Installments start at just 9,700 baht/month.

A4 40 TFSI S line (white label) special price 899,000 from the price of 2,699,000 baht, reduced by almost 2 million baht.

Every car reserved at the event will receive a guarantee of continued after-sales service like new cars. With a continuous vehicle quality guarantee for 5 years or a distance of 150,000 kilometers, along with emergency Roadside Assistance service nationwide 24 hours a day from the date the warranty begins.

https://www.autospinn.com/2024/01/audi-clearance-sale-2024-134953

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ignis said:

Find a Company Directors 10 year old car = good buy...

Eg Audi A6  New 3.6 million.......... 1 owner 10 year old Company Directors car around 550,000 baht at todays prices

mine had 110,000 km, it was perfect condition + very little problem in the following 10 years I owned it + lost 100.000 baht in the 10 years I owned it.

Being a senior executive does not guarantee a car will be driven sensibly.

I knew a plant manager who cooked the engine of his luxury car when he ignored a temperature gauge.

8 hours ago, Lee65 said:

Think we've all been there at some point.  Firmly believing we have answers or insights that we later see to be ridiculous.

I actually don't think KhunLA believes EVs are as convenient and free of downsides as he argues.  Certainly they are not for most people - and he knows that.  

Actually I do, and would never own another ICEV.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't MG make them, then.......?

You know they do, and yep, our ZS ICE version was the best car I owned in TH at that price point.  We bit more than Vios & Mazda 2, but so much better.  

Would recommend to OP but he's looking for something more higher end, and don't think SUV is on his list.  Actually the OP is kind of hard to take serious.  As if he never bought a car before and hasn't a clue.

As a few pointed out, including myself, with his auto skill set ... buy new.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:17 PM, KhunLA said:

Charging at home a plus, though not a complete necessity

This is terrible advise, do not get an EV unless you can charge at home and you don't plan on making any trips beyond 50% of the promised range (including return).

This is bases on real experience relying on my car 24/7. Don't listen to the EV Sunday drivers. Also be prepared that your EV will be worthless in 4-6 years.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jake72 said:

This is terrible advise, do not get an EV unless you can charge at home and you don't plan on making any trips beyond 50% of the promised range (including return).

This is bases on real experience relying on my car 24/7. Don't listen to the EV Sunday drivers. Also be prepared that your EV will be worthless in 4-6 years.

Might want to try a different EV, as those #s suck.  Our MG ZS's WLTP range is 320, and we exceed that knocking around town (360 +/-), and meet or exceed on the highway, at 90 kph +/-

Example of that, O&A now, and home to first unscheduled 'P' break, and while there, a quick munch, and topped up, since didn't need much, and hate to waste a stop.  That at only about 165 kms from home, as usually don't think about charging till 225 kms, then hit one before 250 kms, as that's 3+ hrs on the road.

But that first stop was a bit early, and we averaged 83 kph, actually good for TH.  Using 14.2 kWh/100 kms = 326 kms range on full battery.  Based on real life experience, yesterday.

By your estimate, I shouldn't go further than 160 kms round trip, and I we have no problem going  250, with nice reserve when back home.  We pop up to Hua Hin quite a bit, and it's 200 kms r/t, and we always return with at least 1/3 battery/100+ kms remaining range.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:36 PM, Hellfire said:

I plan to buy a used car for around 50 k usd. A new one will cost at least 100 k and that is amount I don’t wish to pay for a car. I would definitely go for a new one if I wanted to buy a less luxurious brand.

You should take a test drive in a BYD Seal before you make your mind up. 8 years free servicing, 8 years warranty.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You should take a test drive in a BYD Seal before you make your mind up. 8 years free servicing, 8 years warranty.

And in 8 years worth  ????

The issue with EV's is not their performance, range or any practicality etc - its that as soon as their warranty ends (particularly the battery warranty), the value will drop off a cliff. 

This is going to be the same for all EV's until they have modular batteries which can be interchanged, or extended manufacturer warranties. 

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The issue with EV's is not their performance, range or any practicality etc - its that as soon as their warranty ends (particularly the battery warranty), the value will drop off a cliff. 

This is going to be the same for all EV's until they have modular batteries which can be interchanged, or extended manufacturer warranties. 

Why should that be true for a battery? It doesn’t happen when the warranty runs out on an ICEngine?

Both are expensive to replace and last decades longer than the warranty.  With an EV you can read the battery SoH (state of health) directly from the OBD port, you can’t do that with an ICE.

Yes the SoH will influence the sales price, but battery deterioration after 15 years is not dissimilar from an ICE drop in power.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Why should that be true for a battery? It doesn’t happen when the warranty runs out on an ICEngine?

Both are expensive to replace and last decades longer than the warranty.  With an EV you can read the battery SoH (state of health) directly from the OBD port, you can’t do that with an ICE.

Yes the SoH will influence the sales price, but battery deterioration after 15 years is not dissimilar from an ICE drop in power.

I suspect this has more to do with 'general impression' than anything else...    something is only worth what people are prepared to pay and if the general idea.

If 'something goes' on an ICE the part can be replaced unless the engine is completely shot. 

If the 'battery' has a problem, thats the end of the car, unless the battery is replaced and at the moment a replacement battery is more expensive than the value of a car (once its aged)... 

Hence, why the value will drop off a cliff - will anyone want to buy a 7year old second hand EV ???? 

Whereas there is a strong second hand market for ICE's.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/20/2024 at 12:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The other issue for older EV's is insurance

If you unlucky and the battery needs replacing due to an accident new insurance rules kick in from January 2024

Battery life not exceeding 4 years, 70% of the battery price will be paid from the vendor.

Battery life up to 5 years, 60% of the battery price will be paid from the vendor.

Battery life exceeding 5 years will pay a 50% battery compensation charge against the battery price from the vendor.

https://www.amarintv.com/spotlight/business-marketing/detail/56923

So if EV is over 5 years old insurance will pay  50% battery compensation charge the owner has to stump up the other 50% 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect this has more to do with 'general impression' than anything else...    something is only worth what people are prepared to pay and if the general idea.

If 'something goes' on an ICE the part can be replaced unless the engine is completely shot. 

If the 'battery' has a problem, thats the end of the car, unless the battery is replaced and at the moment a replacement battery is more expensive than the value of a car (once its aged)... 

Hence, why the value will drop off a cliff - will anyone want to buy a 7year old second hand EV ???? 

Whereas there is a strong second hand market for ICE's.

They said that about Tesla, however, now there are lots of little companies in America that are repairing the batteries, I’m sure exactly the same will happen here.

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The other issue for older EV's is insurance

If you unlucky and the battery needs replacing due to an accident new insurance rules kick in from January 2024

Battery life not exceeding 4 years, 70% of the battery price will be paid from the vendor.

Battery life up to 5 years, 60% of the battery price will be paid from the vendor.

Battery life exceeding 5 years will pay a 50% battery compensation charge against the battery price from the vendor.

So if EV is over 5 years old insurance will pay  50% battery compensation charge the owner has to stump up the other 50% 

Well, it depends how you look at it, another way of looking at it is you can have cheaper insurance if you accept those conditions, or you can pay the full price and have the battery covered as well, just like now.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

They said that about Tesla, however, now there are lots of little companies in America that are repairing the batteries, I’m sure exactly the same will happen here.

Well, it depends how you look at it, another way of looking at it is you can have cheaper insurance if you accept those conditions, or you can pay the full price and have the battery covered as well, just like now.

Only if you pay an additional premium for additional battery coverage so that the insurance company will cover the battery 100%.

12 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Only if you pay an additional premium for additional battery coverage so that the insurance company will cover the battery 100%.

Or, if you pay the normal premium instead of having the reduced premium for less battery coverage

39 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Or, if you pay the normal premium instead of having the reduced premium for less battery coverage

That doesn't appear to be an option it stated in the article

"Importantly, if the car owner does not want to use the criteria in the table above. You can purchase additional battery coverage or Battery Replacement so that the insurance company will cover the battery 100%."

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

That doesn't appear to be an option it stated in the article

"Importantly, if the car owner does not want to use the criteria in the table above. You can purchase additional battery coverage or Battery Replacement so that the insurance company will cover the battery 100%."

I don’t read it that way, the full battery coverage that we get now is going to continue, or there will be a cheaper option to cover the battery on a sliding scale.

Covering the full battery will cost more than not covering it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don’t read it that way, the full battery coverage that we get now is going to continue, or there will be a cheaper option to cover the battery on a sliding scale.

Covering the full battery will cost more than not covering it.

It does read the only battery coverage that is going to continue as is , is any car that uses battery modular

As the table only applies to non-battery modular so no change for MG ZS EV and MG EP+

Battery protection that changes according to lifespan 

From this new EV car insurance criteria, it will directly affect the coverage of High-Voltage batteries of EV cars. From 100% coverage, there will be less and less coverage. According to the lifespan of the EV vehicle *This criterion is used in the case of replacing the entire set of High Voltage batteries with the following conditions:

Edited by vinny41
typo

15 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It does read the only battery coverage that is going to continue as is , is any car that uses battery modular

As the table only applies to non-battery modular so no change for MG ZS EV and MG EP+

Battery protection that changes according to lifespan 

From this new EV car insurance criteria, it will directly affect the coverage of High-Voltage batteries of EV cars. From 100% coverage, there will be less and less coverage. According to the lifespan of the EV vehicle *This criterion is used in the case of replacing the entire set of High Voltage batteries with the following conditions:

Yes, I understand that, there will be a cheaper option of insurance if you decide not to cover the battery for the full 100%.

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, I understand that, there will be a cheaper option of insurance if you decide not to cover the battery for the full 100%.

I don't think the OIC mentioned cheaper option they  realized in 2023 that EV repair costs were 30% more expensive than their ICE counterparts and EV insurance premiums would need to increase to cover that shortfall    and in the 2023 policies there wasn't a mandate for ev owner's to have a share in the proceeds of damaged batteries

Car owners and insurance companies will own the remains of electric vehicle batteries in the same proportion as the basis for compensation. When damaged batteries are sold insurance company The money must be divided among the car owners according to this proportion.

There will be discounts for named drivers that have made no claims