Car Number Plate letters and numbers faded

Anyone have experience of this and what you did to get new licence plates? 

I am aware there is the option to paint over the letters and numbers but have been advised this is actually illegal. 

Do you have to go to a Department of Land Transport (DLT) Office in the Province the car is registered in to get replacement licence plates?

I understand I need to take the car’s blue book and my passport. 

Anything else?

What is the timescale and cost for replacement licence plates?

Do the DLT offer a service for fitting the new licence plates or will the car testing centres used for annual inspections do this?

Thanks for any experiences you can share with me. 

We had to replace our license plates for this reason.

We took the car to the DLT with the blue registration book and registered to get the replacement plates. We were contacted a few weeks later to come back to the DLT to get the replacement plates. We went back  with the car and removed and turned in the faded plates and were given the new ones to affix to the car.

I don't think there was a charge for this because the fading was due to defective paint and not damage to the plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably a dumb question, but what's the story with the shops in Bangkok Chinatown making license plates right out in the open?  I always figured they were making replacements for people whose plates wore out, because I couldn't imagine the local cops letting them make fake plates. 

But discretion has kept me from inquiring when I pass by.  Several shops around Klong Thom market...  First time I saw them was 2011 and they're still there, still banging out license plates in 2024.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe a loophole in the law. Not a crime to make them, but it is a crime to use them on a car. I have always wondered why people don't get pulled over for having their plates whited out so they can't be read by the traffic cameras,

Definitely do NOT try to fix the plates yourself!

Personally, I'd wait until a cop tells you to get them sorted, after all, if the camera can't read the plate... :whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Yes painting them yourself or someone other than official ( prison inmates ? ) is not allowed.

My wife got a letter from the DLT  saying that her number plate was in a batch  with "bad paint"  and that a replacement could be had at the DLT office...   it has faded quite a bit but is still legible  so she decided not to waste time going to the office...to exchange the old plates they wont send new ones in the post...why they don't have a system like the UK is beyond me   over there as long as the plates conform to size and colour then anyone can make/sell them you can have them made while you wait or sent in the mail  change the old one out and just throw it away  much simpler  + I never heard of any paint problem with UK plates...just the "normal"  falling off  being smashed in an accident or stolen   never the paint fading away.

• Thanks 1