Lack Of Thai Male Friends

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

vietnamese blokes are OK.

i think its the fact they have been colonized before and dont have any superiority complex like the thais do. Vietnamese people are generally warm and hospitable.

bob.

Date them then

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure Thais have friends as we know it.

They have people they borrow money from, and they have family.

Mostly they have family in place of friends.

Not suitable friends for us anyway, too lacking in education and general knowledge of the world while thinking they are much better/important than they really are, and at the same time being extremely sensitive and touchy, likely to try and kill you at any moment.

Just my opinion, maybe they aren't like that at all and the problem is me.

you’ve pretty much nailed it on the head there mate!

bob.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I have often thought about this, and it's one of the few areas about being an expat in Thailand that I find frustrating. I know a number of Thai men, and we are acquaintances but I would not consider any of them to be true friends. I am not of the opinion that many have about most Thai men, I know a lot of very good, relatively honorable, hard-working Thais, but they don't seem to have any interest in really getting to know us or hanging out, which is very unfortunate.

I know if I lived in the Philippines, Vietnam, Mexico or many other countries I would have a lot of local friends, but that's not the case here, and it's probably due to quite a number of factors. Very sad indeed. 

Phils sounds like good fun.

I bet if you get in with a decent crowd there life would probably be a lot more fulfilling than it is here.

bob.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stoner said:

i had but both died. one took me under his arm and showed me thailand. we often shared bamboo together. it's what brought us together in the first place. 

Only under his arm?

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

2.  The visa system is something that some think is simpler. You do need to have money on deposit, and unlike Thailand it remains on deposit the entire time you live there. A minimum of $20,000 for the SRRV Smile visa, unless that has changed.

You can just turn up and stay in PI for around $300/year at any age, no requirement for any money or income.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I know if I lived in the Philippines, Vietnam, Mexico or many other countries I would have a lot of local friends, but that's not the case here, and it's probably due to quite a number of factors. Very sad indeed. 

One of my friends from college (in California) retired in Mexico. He knows all kinds of people there now. They go back and forth and visit, party, etc. It's become a bigger and bigger circle of friends. It's a big difference from my situation in Thailand.

40 minutes ago, rexpotter said:
12 hours ago, stoner said:

i had but both died. one took me under his arm and showed me thailand. we often shared bamboo together. it's what brought us together in the first place. 

Only under his arm?

In a Headlock ?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I have been in Thailand over 10 years and just realized I have had zero Thai male friends the whole time.

Do other expats here have Thai male friends? If so, what are their ages, how old are you and where did you meet?
I'm talking about friends like I had in the USA where you call each other, hang out, go out to sporting events and concerts & drinking of course. Not guys you would know through a female or her relatives, but just guy friends you would meet while out and about.

Nah, I thought I had one,  but he was just a leech.

Typical. 

12 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I have been in Thailand over 10 years and just realized I have had zero Thai male friends the whole time.

Do other expats here have Thai male friends? If so, what are their ages, how old are you and where did you meet?
I'm talking about friends like I had in the USA where you call each other, hang out, go out to sporting events and concerts & drinking of course. Not guys you would know through a female or her relatives, but just guy friends you would meet while out and about.

Have you tried searching out ladyboys  for friends? . They are actually guys wearing lipstick. Please give feedback.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, actonion said:

Better or worse than  them?... A Thai lady school teacher I  once knew told me that  Thai kids are taught in school that Thai's  are a superior race, superior to whom I  did'nt ask,  but  she was not pleased when I  laughed...

Yeah, the longer you stay here, the harder it is to respect them.

• Sad 1