Lack Of Thai Male Friends

You are right in 20 years in Thailand we don't have male or even female friends to hang around with, Some reasons are that they can't /don't like to speak English and they are not willing to teach you Thai, There is a class system in Thailand and some Thais think that we are different class lower or higher than they are. And the definition of friendship is something different than we are used in our homecountry.. We have given up already a long time ago.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

You are right in 20 years in Thailand we don't have male or even female friends to hang around with, Some reasons are that they can't /don't like to speak English and they are not willing to teach you Thai, There is a class system in Thailand and some Thais think that we are different class lower or higher than they are. And the definition of friendship is something different than we are used in our homecountry.. We have given up already a long time ago.

in your experience, would you say that the majority of Thais think we are better or worse than them?

over the years i have had thai people tell me that they tend to think that farang are smarter and better than them, but this could of course be a smokescreen. 

bob.

European and Thai culture is as distant as the earth from the moon. So, it is difficult to find common topics other than the usual trivial things. I don't even understand their sense of humour honestly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

I would say that it is pretty much impossible for a farang man to have a true male thai friend.

We value honesty and integrity, they value face and deference.

I have tried, many times.

I now don't have real friends here but acquaintances.

it is the way it is.

bob.

Bob is right.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

in your experience, would you say that the majority of Thais think we are better or worse than them?

over the years i have had thai people tell me that they tend to think that farang are smarter and better than them, but this could of course be a smokescreen. 

bob.

indeed... maybe they feel ashamed to be friends with us...so they keep distance