How to use Siam Commercial Bank app from UK

I am going to UK very soon at short notice, and when I am there I will need to use the SCB app on my smartphone. I have been told that it's possible if I use the phone with my Thai AIS pre paid SIM card. That throws up some questions from me:

I assume that I will need to have credit on my SIM. Should I top up before I go, and if so how much is recommended? I'm guessing that my use of the app will be about 10 minutes.

Do I need to have Roaming enabled?

Any other recommendations please.

Not SCB but I use the Kasikorn app in the UK.  I have a True SIM in the phone and roaming enabled but NOT data roaming - that's spoils money incredibly fast.   Data is either WiFi or the UK SIM.  No problems using the app at all.  I would hope/expect that SCB will work similarly.  No special amount of credit is needed for enabling roaming, as long as you don't answer the phone or make calls/texts.  It will receive text messages free of charge.

Presumably the app is up and running on the phone already?  I mention this because at least in the case of Kasikorn the initial setup has to be done while  connected to data on a Thai cell network, not WiFi.

• Like 1

Basically, yes, yes and yes.

The app works fine on WiFi provided you've already installed and activated it via mobile data (whilst in Thailand).

But it's always best to be safe rather than be stuck without access to your bank.

I have a dual-SIM phone so I'm not sure if you actually need the Thai SIM in the phone when using the app.

6 minutes ago, thoengthaied said:

I cannot remember whether I installed the app on wifi or on a data connection. I think it's better to uninstall and reconnect using data.

Does it work?  If it does there is no need to reinstall it.  You will have used data as you cant install the app on WiFi.

Edited by Upnotover

Posted (edited)

Yes, the app works fine now, and I am such a dinasoar when it comes to IT that I'm scared to uninstall and reinstall...something will go wrong for sure. Thank you Upnotover.

Edited by thoengthaied

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

I have a dual-SIM phone so I'm not sure if you actually need the Thai SIM in the phone when using the app.

You don't. I have a separate phone for SCB app banking and it has no sim in it at all.........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...