Vitamins, Supplements

Getting older and slowly adding various things into my daily intake.  Currently taking Zinc Picolinate, D3, Omega 3, B Complex, and C.  I don't have any known health issues worth mentioning and don't really have much insight on my body as I've never had any serious problems to look into.  I eat healthy and stay in shape.

Any recommendations of what I should add to my daily vitamin / supplement routine? 

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jaymatheson said:

Getting older and slowly adding various things into my daily intake.  Currently taking Zinc Picolinate, D3, Omega 3, B Complex, and C.  I don't have any known health issues worth mentioning and don't really have much insight on my body as I've never had any serious problems to look into.  I eat healthy and stay in shape.

Any recommendations of what I should add to my daily vitamin / supplement routine? 

Thanks

Do you need anymore? 

Check your B12 levels.

Sometimes necessary to add sublingual B12 as older people may gave trouble absorbing it orally (but if your levels are normal, no need)

• Agree 1

A true superfood, Tastes putrid.
50-100g a day or every other day over time will be beneficial to your nutrients stores.

if you want to take it raw, as I done at one point for a few months make sure its Grass fed Aus or NZ beef.

Can by it online in Thailand.

Screenshot2024-03-18at14_01_25.png.cef7af70b69366583315bbeb62fa12d6.pngScreenshot2024-03-18at14_02_05.thumb.png.f76d1e8cc7eebd1ba69bbbbd67442529.png

Edited by Startmeup
  • Thanks 2

Might just want to skip all the individual ones, and just take a multivitamin.  I take Kirkland multi-vit, as when tested, they actually contain what they state.   Fairly healthy, but diet lacks the amount I used to eat, along with enough servings of veggies & fruits, I think.   So the vit should fill in all the blanks.

You state fairly health, eat decent, and get a bit of exercise, so all sounded good, and not really seeing the need to supplement the assortment of individual ones you're taking.   And too much of one, may interfere with another, hence why I just take the multi-vit, as fairly balanced.

• Agree 2

You need supplements only if you have a deficiency in them. Your body ( liver) will excrete any excess.

For instance if you take iron, your body will only accept 1mg per day, the rest will be excreted, sometimes in your stools, black color. You might find this after a lot of Guinness!

The suggestion of a full blood test is a good idea. Go from there. But in general we do need supplements as we age and in particular if vegan or vegetarian, but not strictly so, if you eat the right foods or smoothies.

I take berocca , cod liver oil capsule and centrum advance daily. 

Never unwell and at recent health check was told was in great shape and all results were perfect or below average general level. Drink around 3-4 litres of water a day though also.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ronster said:

I take berocca , cod liver oil capsule and centrum advance daily. 

Never unwell and at recent health check was told was in great shape and all results were perfect or below average general level. Drink around 3-4 litres of water a day though also.

You look great at  81 , last time I saw you mate

But with respect probably waste of money taking vitamins at that age 

All the best 

Regards 

George 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

You should take Vit D3 with Vit K2 (Mk7). There are combo tablets available

Thorne do a great drop bottle vitamin D/K2 combined

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

All the best 

Regards 

George 

as you age one of the most overlooked and beneficial things is to have a high protein intake, as you age you need more protein not less, very very few people adhere to this. Some form of resistance training to keep bones strong with a high protein diet is huge. Bones are mostly made of protein/collagen

2 hours ago, Tazmo said:

You need supplements only if you have a deficiency in them. Your body ( liver) will excrete any excess.

For instance if you take iron, your body will only accept 1mg per day, the rest will be excreted, sometimes in your stools, black color. You might find this after a lot of Guinness!

There are different types of iron in meat and non meat sources. Heme iron is by far the most bioavailable, up to 30% and is only found in meat. Non-heme iron thats found in fruits, vegetable and nuts can have as low as 2% bioavailability. Beef liver for the win again

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 1:37 PM, Jaymatheson said:

Thanks

Vitamin and mineral supplements are mostly scams. It probably won't hurt you to eat them, but you usually don't need any, either. I'm currently taking B12 and zinc citrate, but expect to stop when I've finished these bottles. I admit I'm not consistent.

• Agree 1

I have never taken supplements in my life - why?

Because I am perfectly 100% healthy and I don't need them!

Why, because I always have a balanced diet and a great deal of exercise - that includes my brain.

I am 79!

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

All the best 

Regards 

George 

Why should an 81yo save money? Can't spend it when dead.

• Agree 1

On 3/18/2024 at 1:51 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I went to a endocrinology last year 

That doctor was shocked at my vitamin regime

Cut back he shouted ,no wonder would liver results are high he shouted banging his fists ..

I now just take one Berocca a day 

Berocca, that is the one that has SUCRALOSE or is it aspartame ?....   

I almost bought for my kids years ago, till I red the label

Berocca Plus effervescent tablets contains sweetenersThis medicine contains 25 mg aspartame per effervescent tablet. Aspartame is a source of phenylalanine. This can be harmful if you have phenylketonuria, a rare genetic disorder in which phenylalanine is not broken down and builds up in the body.

Edited by john donson
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I have never taken supplements in my life - why?

Because I am perfectly 100% healthy and I don't need them!

Why, because I always have a balanced diet and a great deal of exercise - that includes my brain.

I am 79!

79 isn't that old. If you said I'm 102 and never taken supplements then your story would be worth something.

2 hours ago, Acharn said:

Vitamin and mineral supplements are mostly scams. It probably won't hurt you to eat them, but you usually don't need any, either. I'm currently taking B12 and zinc citrate, but expect to stop when I've finished these bottles. I admit I'm not consistent.

Why are they scams? Most athletes take them and they know better than most.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Dolf said:

79 isn't that old. If you said I'm 102 and never taken supplements then your story would be worth something.

32 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I will take a pinch of salt with that silly remark!

Just now, ChrisKC said:

I will take a pinch of salt with that silly remark!

How is it silly? I've spoken to people who are older than you and probably more fit than you. They take supplements.

Humans can live to 120. Making it to 79 is no big deal.

Runners over 90yo doing marathons.

If you diet works for you great but it does not prove anything. Sample size of 1.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why are they scams? Most athletes take them and they know better than most.

Yes most are scams.

Athletes are not normal people and have to perform at very high levels.

They are usually tested for all kinds of things weekly or at least monthly.

People who live a normal lifestyle and who eat a normal diet do not need supplements.

I know it is a very big money maker.

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

Yes most are scams.

Athletes are not normal people and have to perform at very high levels.

They are usually tested for all kinds of things weekly or at least monthly.

People who live a normal lifestyle and who eat a normal diet do not need supplements.

I know it is a very big money maker.

What is a normal diet?