Thai Partner's Employer Requires My ID

I'm happy to oblige if the need is genuine, but nobody seems willing to convey or pre-empt my instinctive response: "why?"
Obviously wifey just wants to get on with it, and (like many Thais) doesn't share my natural skepticism about surrendering ID without at least a good reason.

Any ideas? 😶

47 minutes ago, digbeth said:

unless they're filing her tax returns for her, or has some benefits for you like insurance of registering you as recipient in some funeral scheme, they absolutely don't need the detail 

almost verbatim what i said

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

my reply was based on very little information in an attempt to give something for the op to have his wife ask her employers. when i do my taxes here if i claim my wife as a dependent i have to give her personal information... ergo, based on the op she might be in a position to claim her hubby as a dependent. so, understand now lou?

I understand how unlikely your bizarre suggestion was, you seriously think that he's a dependent of hers?   Even if he was what business would his passport be of her employer (unless her employer is the Revenue Department!)?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?   What have his passport details got to do with her tax liability?

Husband and wife can use each others tax allowance.

That would be the Revenue Department's business, why would the employer need his passport details?              

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, digbeth said:

unless they're filing her tax returns for her, or has some benefits for you like insurance of registering you as recipient in some funeral scheme, they absolutely don't need the detail 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Husband and wife can use each others tax allowance.

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That would be the Revenue Department's business, why would the employer need his passport details?              

only bizarre thing here is you not getting it. past your bedtime hit the hay... everyone else here seems to get it.

hint... see 2 posts above your own

Edited by Pouatchee

apart from filing tax returns on the behalf of the employee, employer might need all the details of what their employee's tax allowance are for the year ahead to put into their payroll system in order to make appropriate tax withholding, otherwise they could over/under pay the tax  

Just a copy should be sufficient, and you can cross it as for example;

"Use Only for .....give reason.....and sign it".  I do that with all copies of my passport like LTO.  

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

If it's a government position you are entitled to certain benefits as her spouse.

I'm not sure it's really that much of a security risk, after all, how many zillion paper copies of your PP are circulating pretty much any Thai institution you've dealt with?

Immigration have even been known to re-use copies as scrap paper! (which does make you wonder why they needed them in the first place).

They don't need the copies they have everything on your file on computer.

They only need new information /changes to add.

They do that because they are in Power/charge/Standover  .

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because the employer uploads these documents to the site of the revenue department as they can help employees with their tax filings. Companies use a different department of the revenue service as individuals.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Let you wife ask why they need it.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Because the employer uploads these documents to the site of the revenue department... 

Which is it, then?  "Ask his wife to find the reason" or "this is the reason"...  make up your mind! 

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which is it, then?  "Ask his wife to find the reason" or "this is the reason"...  make up your mind! 

There could be another reason such as joining a company health insurance policy.

The previous answer explained your question about the revenue department.

Stop trolling.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

There could be another reason such as joining a company health insurance policy.

The previous answer explained your question about the revenue department.

Stop trolling.

asking him to stop trolling is like asking fish to live on land. its been clear for quite a few posts now but he is still at it. now, he is taking you on...