Navy stranded without submarine or frigate amid budget crunch

webfact

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

When asked if the Navy would have a chance to submit its proposal for consideration in the next fiscal year, Sutin said the Air Force had already submitted a proposal to procure 12 new fighter jets that might cost 19 billion baht.

I would take Air Force capabilities over Navy capabilities any day of the week.....

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Navy had sought a 17-billion-baht budget for five years to procure a 4,000-ton frigate that would have required a payment of 1.7 billion baht in the first year.

Savvy Admirals, taking all of the skim in the first year.

Will boost consumer spending.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A House of Representatives ad hoc committee on the budget rejected the Navy’s proposal to buy the warship, citing budget constraints and a poor procurement plan.

Boys without toys..... 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

They argued that it was necessary to ensure maritime security and ensure economic benefit for the country.

From whom? I think we all know who will benefit economically.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Sutin said the Air Force had already submitted a proposal to procure 12 new fighter jets that might cost 19 billion baht.

Absolute waste of money unless Thailand is proposing to invade someone.

Chopper are needed sooo much more, and can be adapted for a mirade of uses.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Well iof the TN were not so incapable they would not have lost a frigate in hugh seas, or even tried to blow one up with a stray shell from another ship. So theu have proven themselves incompetent, a fleet of smaller offshore patrol boats would be better suited in my book

ur 

Yes offshore high speed patrol boats, where would the submarine patrol, they do know I presume it goes under the water, 

8 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Well iof the TN were not so incapable they would not have lost a frigate in hugh seas, or even tried to blow one up with a stray shell from another ship. So theu have proven themselves incompetent, a fleet of smaller offshore patrol boats would be better suited in my book

ur 

Absolutely agree on all of your comments!

Quite honestly why does Thailand need a submarine and a Frigate with Stealth technology as well as 12 new fighter jets ? Spend the money on a few smaller coastal patrol boats that maybe they have a better chance of looking after, 3 modern jets and the balance of the money on projects that better the lives of the Thai people. Which country has been an enemy of Thailand since the 2nd world war, apart from some very minor skirmishes with Cambodia over a long standing border dispute there hasn't been any need for National Defense. 

Edited by paul1804
  • Agree 1