So what is going on with recent 'Russian bashing' on this site?

4 minutes ago, ancharee said:

Last year myself and family stayed in jomtien for 1 week, was spoiled due to a mass of rowdy Russians, any recommendations for family resorts even satahip close to nice beach, have tried the usual sites book.com and Agoda, thanks 

Cha Am or if you like spending hours in traffic ..Hua Hin.

30 minutes ago, ancharee said:

Last year myself and family stayed in jomtien for 1 week, was spoiled due to a mass of rowdy Russians, any recommendations for family resorts even satahip close to nice beach, have tried the usual sites book.com and Agoda, thanks 

Ban Amphur or Bang Saray

The Russians in Hua Hin are generally polite,  friendly and family oriented. Yes,  they are not running around trying to make friends with me but neither am I!  They are like the rest of us; just trying to live their lives in the relative calm of Thailand. They can't really do anything about their despotic government just like I can't about mine. Let them be I say. 

On 3/23/2024 at 2:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

I told you I could go on all day I was just starting that was just the first four out of 30 or so qualities that these ancestors of the murderous, rampaging Cossack people have. 

And it was not just the ancient Cossacks that had this tendency, the history is as recently as the early 20th century. 

Thus, the Red Army became an instrument of mass theft. The call to steal and loot attracted the dregs of society to the ranks of the Red Army. In fact, many criminals volunteered to join not because they believed in Lenin’s revolutionary ideas, but in order to get weapons and have the right to pillage and plunder.

https://euromaidanpress.com/2022/06/28/army-of-marauders-the-long-history-of-russian-military-looting-pillaging-and-stealing/

If you want to blame people for their bloody history let's talk about the evils of the European empires or twentieth century US foreign policy shall we? People don't choose where they are born. Most people are apathetic towards history and politics. They just want to get on with their lives. Your hatred just leads to further polarisation and hatred. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Well, Linkedin seems to suggest that he is a real person living in Bangkok, (unless he is the Tour Guide with the same name living in South Africa).

He has various endorsements from colleagues, but I especially note 4 endorsements for fiction! 🙂

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:29 PM, Denim said:

Bob doesn't do the night shift.

Must be Dan having a quiet night at home .

Far too erudite and polysyllabic for Dan

[quote]

Last island trip, we where among a larger group of russians at a bungalow resort, and they where loud, shouting from one bungalow to another, talking laud on phone in the dining area, more louder discussions/talking the more they drank, and had their own bbq party with music with no respect for others. 

[/quote]

Well, to be honest, that sounds just like Thais, sorry I mean Brits, no actually I mean Ozzies, sorry I mean...

Anyone here from Greenland?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, claffey said:

If you want to blame people for their bloody history let's talk about the evils of the European empires or twentieth century US foreign policy shall we? People don't choose where they are born. Most people are apathetic towards history and politics. They just want to get on with their lives. Your hatred just leads to further polarisation and hatred. 

Well if you want to examine historical hatred and bloodshed the UK probably tops the list and the East India Trading Company was like the most evil corporation in the history of mankind. You say this kind of discussion crates further polarization, I say a certain amount of consciousness and awareness is a positive thing, just depends on your perspective I suppose. 

People seem to be very confused about why the Russians have the kind of attitudes that they have, but the answer is really quite simple, even if you just look at the recent Leninist and Stalinist history, it's all written right on the wall. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Well if you want to examine historical hatred and bloodshed the UK probably tops the list and the East India Trading Company was like the most evil corporation in the history of mankind. You say this kind of discussion crates further polarization, I say a certain amount of consciousness and awareness is a positive thing, just depends on your perspective I suppose. 

People seem to be very confused about why the Russians have the kind of attitudes that they have, but the answer is really quite simple, even if you just look at the recent Leninist and Stalinist history, it's all written right on the wall. 

Normaly people get they idea's/ ideology from parent's . Of course learn from school and elsewhere. I am FIN and i have "hate" Russians all my life. Maybe coz hearing story's from 2 world war. If most of RUS people get teaching that every other nation and western world is bad, what you can assume about them. System there mind control all of them, in news , education and every place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/23/2024 at 3:07 PM, Keeps said:

I just left Jomtien yesterday after a week there. Absolutely swarming with them. Each and every one with a face like a smacked ar$e.

So similar to Brits then

My only encounter ever with Russians was in late 2011 and then again several years later, staying both times at the Avalon on the beach at Pattaya.

Lovely big swimming pool and each morning, as my b/f (Khmer - darkish skin in the sun) & I issued forth for a swim, Russians had 'occupied' (towel only) every deckchair round the pool. But as we appeared and dived in, every Russian in the pool immediately got out of the pool and sat there glowering at us. So we had the pool entirely to ourselves.

This happened every day, on both occasions 3 or 4 years apart that we were there. You can draw your own conclusions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:09 AM, claffey said:

Hard to take in our own history, but we are living now, and we need to pretect everything we have to conserve what we have. 

It could help little bit if we understood why things are how it is, but we shouldnt give up. Its in our nature to conquer, capture and control as much we can. 

If it was not us, somebody else would have done it, and history will repeat itself, again, and again.

Human nature is self destructive and ignorant 

On 3/22/2024 at 8:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"So what is going on with recent 'Russian bashing' on this site?"

You mean the Russian-bashing that you're part of, Professor?...

"The recent scurrilous-provoking behaviour by a peroxide blond..."

What has her hair colour (and whether it is natural or not) got to do with anything?

Sorry. Just a bit of facetiousness..

On 3/23/2024 at 11:37 AM, ancharee said:

Yep. They certainly do little to encourage a welcome.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:16 PM, Hummin said:

No matter where people comes from, when to many at one pace they useally stand out, and if to noisy, do stupid things, the bashing starts as should be and well deserved.

Last island trip, we where among a larger group of russians at a bungalow resort, and they where loud, shouting from one bungalow to another, talking laud on phone in the dining area, more louder discussions/talking the more they drank, and had their own bbq party with music with no respect for others. 

Repetitive experiences like this from all over Thailand, creates the bashing. 

Good point. But we might be sure this kind of thing will get around  - and provoke a lot of bad press.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:13 PM, eisfeld said:

That and the fact of opening a thread disguised as being interested in some discussion just to promote his own publications and social media profile.

So what are you accomplishments in life, Coco? Swilling down aluminum kegs in Nana Plaza, or what?

On 3/22/2024 at 8:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"So what is going on with recent 'Russian bashing' on this site?"

You mean the Russian-bashing that you're part of, Professor?...

"The recent scurrilous-provoking behaviour by a peroxide blond..."

What has her hair colour (and whether it is natural or not) got to do with anything?

Impression management.

On 3/22/2024 at 8:27 PM, eumenades said:

Some posters are quite right when they say the new Russians here are sullen and reserved - a nice way of saying they might turn out to be isolationists, amidst our mixed farang community of British, Americans, Germans, Swedish, Chinese, Singaporeans and others eager to get cheap street food and take inexpensive holidays when the occasion arises.

Is it a wonder , that they are given the attitude towards them ? Would you happily associate with people that have such attitude towards you?

Many western Europeans and Americans commit appalling acts every day , and we make fun of them , "Boys will be boys" , when something bad is done a Russian it's because Russians ar A-holes. 

If I was a Russian I would want nothing to do with any of us, In fact I am not a Russian and still my involvement with the expat Community is very limited. 

Because of some social situations I have had the pleasure to have met many Russians , and I will tell you this,

They were all very nice people. 

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:16 PM, Hummin said:

No matter where people comes from, when to many at one pace they useally stand out, and if to noisy, do stupid things, the bashing starts as should be and well deserved.

Repetitive experiences like this from all over Thailand, creates the bashing. 

Sounds fair enough.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Is it a wonder , that they are given the attitude towards them ? Would you happily associate with people that have such attitude towards you?

Many western Europeans and Americans commit appalling acts every day , and we make fun of them , "Boys will be boys" , when something bad is done a Russian it's because Russians ar A-holes. 

If I was a Russian I would want nothing to do with any of us, In fact I am not a Russian and still my involvement with the expat Community is very limited. 

Because of some social situations I have had the pleasure to have met many Russians , and I will tell you this,

They were all very nice people. 

Not to mention their history of producing good writers. I travelled on a Russian ship once and everyone was nice to me. 

21 hours ago, Hummin said:

Hard to take in our own history, but we are living now, and we need to pretect everything we have to conserve what we have. 

It could help little bit if we understood why things are how it is, but we shouldnt give up. Its in our nature to conquer, capture and control as much we can. 

If it was not us, somebody else would have done it, and history will repeat itself, again, and again.

Human nature is self destructive and ignorant 

My thoughts are the Russians have such a dreadful history, it is little surprise that they produce a higher percentage of nasty people. But, having said that, there are a good percentage of young people there that want change and are courageous enough to risk imprisonment to voice that. Unfortunately, it looks like Thailand is a niche for the rich who would not act against Putin.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:04 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Doncha just love people who refer to themselves in the third person?

Why not refer to yourself in the first?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:14 PM, TorquayFan said:

JGW. I'm sure there are many decent Russians in Thailand and some are not unreasonably, wishing to escape patriotic military loyalties at home.

I also get the feeling that there are many other Russians of a different kind.

This comment of yours, "Supporters of democracy and Navalny they are not". How would you know that? An unfounded assumption ?

Russians are prominent in Phuket and Pattaya with sordid looking Russian clubs here and there and it feels to me like an established network of gangsters rather than something else.

Just MHO but given the terrible crimes and destruction Russia has wreaked in Ukraine, I think some bashing here is the least of Russians problems. You will create some debate but you have said nothing.

Just looking around. Okay, let's have a bit more debate. And make it better than the usual cynical one-liners.

1 minute ago, eumenades said:

Not to mention their history of producing good writers. I travelled on a Russian ship once and everyone was nice to me. 

I am  just re-reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn. I read it in my youth and did not get as much out of it as I am getting out of it now that I am older. 

Also true with many  of the classics I read in my youth.