So what is going on with recent 'Russian bashing' on this site?

7 minutes ago, eumenades said:

My thoughts are the Russians have such a dreadful history, it is little surprise that they produce a higher percentage of nasty people. But, having said that, there are a good percentage of young people there that want change and are courageous enough to risk imprisonment to voice that. Unfortunately, it looks like Thailand is a niche for the rich who would not act against Putin.

We all got it in us to be nasty, and every culture have been nasty at one point in history. The British empire didnt come without raw brutality and bloodthirsty Kings, politicians and willing men to go to war. Germans, Mongols, Danish, Norwegians, we all got it in us if the right buttons is pushed

On 3/25/2024 at 5:58 PM, mfd101 said:

My only encounter ever with Russians was in late 2011 and then again several years later, staying both times at the Avalon on the beach at Pattaya.

Lovely big swimming pool and each morning, as my b/f (Khmer - darkish skin in the sun) & I issued forth for a swim, Russians had 'occupied' (towel only) every deckchair round the pool. But as we appeared and dived in, every Russian in the pool immediately got out of the pool and sat there glowering at us. So we had the pool entirely to ourselves.

This happened every day, on both occasions 3 or 4 years apart that we were there. You can draw your own conclusions.

Sorry to laugh, but even how bad it must have felt for you guys, it is a funny story. Its a Europeen thing, put towels in the morning and then go for breakfest. I useally trow them away if nobody there. 

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2024 at 10:36 PM, spidermike007 said:

Well let's see, they have a serial killing dictator whose silences his critics with assassination, they declare war on neighboring countries and Putin seems to make a hobby out of killing women and children, Russians themselves are some of the most unpleasant people on earth, they have absolutely no social skills, and they don't even seem to even care about expressing any degree of politeness. Do I need to go on, I could go on all day. 

As previously mentioned, 'They don't appreciate life'.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, eumenades said:
On 3/22/2024 at 9:04 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Doncha just love people who refer to themselves in the third person?

Why not refer to yourself in the first?

I do, you should try it.  When have I ever referred to myself in the third person?

On 3/22/2024 at 8:27 PM, eumenades said:

Unlike some, I am lucky in my marriage to a Thai national - we look after each other in many ways and I am glad to contribute financially.

Beta provider spotted.

Zml0PWZpbGw

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, eumenades said:

So what are you accomplishments in life, Coco? Swilling down aluminum kegs in Nana Plaza, or what?

What kind of rude troll reply is that? I critized you for opening a thread with the intent of posting links to your socials and publications. Nobody else does that on this forum. It had a clear intent of self promotion under the guise of wanting to discuss something. But your reply shows us how "classy" you are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Sorry to laugh, but even how bad it must have felt for you guys, it is a funny story. Its a Europeen thing, put towels in the morning and then go for breakfest. I useally trow them away if nobody there. 

Well, except that the point of my story wasn't really about the towels. It was about the fact that they couldn't cope with sharing the pool itself with a male couple, and one of whom was a local native. (Poofters! and one of them's a darky!)

On 3/27/2024 at 7:17 AM, sirineou said:

Is it a wonder , that they are given the attitude towards them ? Would you happily associate with people that have such attitude towards you?

Many western Europeans and Americans commit appalling acts every day , and we make fun of them , "Boys will be boys" , when something bad is done a Russian it's because Russians ar A-holes. 

If I was a Russian I would want nothing to do with any of us, In fact I am not a Russian and still my involvement with the expat Community is very limited. 

Because of some social situations I have had the pleasure to have met many Russians , and I will tell you this,

They were all very nice people. 

Not to mention their writers - but a bit too complex for a site like this one (?)

• Sad 2

On 3/27/2024 at 7:32 AM, sirineou said:

I am  just re-reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn. I read it in my youth and did not get as much out of it as I am getting out of it now that I am older. 

Also true with many  of the classics I read in my youth. 

On 3/27/2024 at 7:32 AM, sirineou said:

I am  just re-reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn. I read it in my youth and did not get as much out of it as I am getting out of it now that I am older. 

Also true with many  of the classics I read in my youth. 

Yes. Solzhenitsyn told me most of what I know about Soviet Russia. A terrific guy! And , it is eerie how much of them apply to Russian society today.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:38 AM, Hummin said:

We all got it in us to be nasty, and every culture have been nasty at one point in history. The British empire didnt come without raw brutality and bloodthirsty Kings, politicians and willing men to go to war. Germans, Mongols, Danish, Norwegians, we all got it in us if the right buttons is pushed

Sure. That is called 'moral relativity'. But right now we are focusing on Russia. Not a bad Idea since Putin keeps threatening us with nuclear war.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eumenades said:

Sure. That is called 'moral relativity'. But right now we are focusing on Russia. Not a bad Idea since Putin keeps threatening us with nuclear war.

Single minded policies and thinking. Understand humanities greatness and fauls, you understand Russian actions. We are not allowed to talk about invasions and interventions done by us, because it doesnt suit us. But, everyone Putin allies with, remember. They see the falsely two faced double morality we carry! 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2024 at 1:31 PM, mfd101 said:

Well, except that the point of my story wasn't really about the towels. It was about the fact that they couldn't cope with sharing the pool itself with a male couple, and one of whom was a local native. (Poofters! and one of them's a darky!)

I know, reminds me of a story about an black american, who jumped the fence and took a swim in a pool for white people only. The pool was closed,  was cleaned and disinfected. Thats how it was, and thats how people are, when allowed to be. 

Edited by Hummin

6 hours ago, eumenades said:

Does anyone know how the f-ing buttons work on this site? (Sorry about this.)

Maybe the site is a bit too complex for this "intellectual" poster.

• Haha 2