I am amazed

Just now, Georgealbert said:

So now being a pilot is just a sport? Can you tell me how the pilot wins and what the prizes are?

Here is a defintion of flying sports - Any activity involving aviation for recreation and competition. Flying sports include air racing, homebuilt aircraft, ultralight aviation, and hot-air ballooning.

Being the pilot of a commercial airline is a professional occupation, hot a sport.

Stop changing reality to suit yourself and post some real facts, for once.

Thanks for proving you have no idea.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198384/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Because flying is a sport. That's why there are few females in it. Men are superior at sport than women.

Amazing you don't know this.

Commercial flying is anything but a sport. 

15 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Does obtaining a commercial pilot's licence require parallel parking or reversing into a parking space?

My wife is an expert in reversing the truck into a parking space, but in saying that, back in the UK sometimes I would stand at a shopping centre car park and have a laugh at watching the female drivers trying to park their cars.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, mancub said:

Commercial flying is anything but a sport. 

Nonsense. All flying, driving etc is a sport. Reaction times and skills matter.

18 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Males have faster reaction times

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456887/

Why men make better pilots, drivers etc

Again nothing to do with the total skill base and knowledge needed to be a pilot.

You’re just cherry picking research to meet a perceived agenda.

Please show how these two research papers are relevant?

“A comparative study of visual and auditory reaction times on the basis of gender and physical activity levels of medical first year students.”

“On the Implications of a Sex Difference in the Reaction Times of Sprinters at the Beijing Olympics”

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, mancub said:

Sorry. but totally irrelevant !

The opposite is true. Skills matter more with 250 passengers. If a F1 driver dies it is 1 person.

Pilots should have the best skills.

Just now, Georgealbert said:

Again nothing to do with the total skill base and knowledge needed to be a pilot.

You’re just cherry picking research to meet a perceived agenda.

Please show how these two research papers are relevant?

“A comparative study of visual and auditory reaction times on the basis of gender and physical activity levels of medical first year students.”

“On the Implications of a Sex Difference in the Reaction Times of Sprinters at the Beijing Olympics”

It is like educating a 5yo. Reaction times can mean life or death in some circumstances.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Thanks for proving you have no idea.

555 This has to be the funniest most irrelevant post so far.

Can you please tell me which female pilot were sprinters at the Beijing Olympics, from your quoted reasearch paper, “ On the Implications of a Sex Difference in the Reaction Times of Sprinters at the Beijing Olympics”

Bye , I am out, you have gone past being unrealistic, with no facts, no knowledge, to being simply ridiculous.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Oh dear--a misogynist in our midst. I'd rather have a female pilot (or any pilot for that matter) than read ignorant posts like this.

Being that I see and read examples of misandry on an almost daily basis, I don't think men ought to be ashamed of being misogynistic, it tends to even things up a bit. Also, call me old-fashioned (I'm nearly 80 yoa), but as someone who never feels 100% comfortable in a car being driven by a woman, I'd much prefer it if the person flying my aircraft was male.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Oh dear--a misogynist in our midst. I'd rather have a female pilot (or any pilot for that matter) than read ignorant posts like this

way to seek offense where none is intended. 

I am very surprised how many female pilots we have now.

Don't get me wrong I am not against females in any profession but [not so long] ago it was just for men (maybe wrongly)

So how do you feel if your pilot is a female? 

Video | Facebook

show me the misogyny. I fail to see it. 

in fact the only intolerance i see comes directly from you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, n00dle said:

way to seek offense where none is intended. 

show me the misogyny. I fail to see it. 

in fact the only intolerance i see comes directly from you. 

Thank you for your insight..enlightening🤨

31 minutes ago, Dolf said:

The opposite is true. Skills matter more with 250 passengers. If a F1 driver dies it is 1 person.

Pilots should have the best skills.

Yet  you consider driving a bus with 50 passengers or piloting a commercial aircraft with 250 pax a..... "sport" !

37 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

555 This has to be the funniest most irrelevant post so far.

Can you please tell me which female pilot were sprinters at the Beijing Olympics, from your quoted reasearch paper, “ On the Implications of a Sex Difference in the Reaction Times of Sprinters at the Beijing Olympics”

Bye , I am out, you have gone past being unrealistic, with no facts, no knowledge, to being simply ridiculous.

So why is alcohol banned for pilots if reaction times don't matter? 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, mancub said:

Yet  you consider driving a bus with 50 passengers or piloting a commercial aircraft with 250 pax a..... "sport" !

It is a sport but more important.

54 minutes ago, Dolf said:

1 hour ago, mancub said:

54 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Edited by mancub
posted in error

8 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

“Air India had the highest share of women amongst its pilots in 2021, with 12.7%. Next were Aer Lingus, with 9.9%, Hawaiian Airlines, with 9.3%, and United Airlines, with 7.7%.

Lufthansa, Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, UPS, Qantas and British Airways were also above the overall average of 5.8%.

At the lower end of the scale were Qatar Airways (2.4%), Emirates Airline (2.2%), Aeroflot Russian Airlines (2.2%), Japan Airlines (1.3%) and Singapore Airlines (0.4%)”

Interesting. When I cared about a Frequent Flyer program and earning "miles", I used to use United. Quite often there was a female pilot. Not 'amazing'. For long haul now, I use Qatar because I like the Q-Suites. I've never seen a female pilot on any QR flight.

Obviously there is zero difference in the skill level. When I was getting my pilot's license years ago, only rarely did I see a female at the flight school, but there were some, and they were as skilled as anyone (even at reading maps, Sparky).

Now I do recall an incident just after 9-11 when a male pilot for a major US airline was caught being drunk as he entered the flight deck. His explanation for drinking too much was that this would be the first day he was to be carrying a gun (pilots were allowed guns in the cockpit after 9-11), and he was so nervous he needed drinks to ease his nerves.

Oh, and as yet no female pilot has 'suicided' the entire crew and passenger manifest, while at least 4 male pilots have done that.

• Agree 1

I think it's because it's a major commitment/career path which men are more happy to follow than women .Harder for her to pursue that path if she wants a family etc, although more are seemingly taking up the challenge given better equal opportunity and changing family/social values .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

It's what he does best.

Pilots today 'hand-fly' maybe 5% of the entire flight. Peak human reaction time is .14 seconds, because that is as fast as a neuron can work. Perhaps a shorter person with shorter arms has a better chance of hitting peak, because the impulse has less distance to travel. (Bruce Lee might have been faster, though the ability to test him did not exist when Bruce existed.) Computers can be faster, because a charge can flow faster by wire than a human neuron can fire, and computers do most of the flying.

If it is true that female reaction time is slower, it would only be hundredths of a second, so unlikely to be consequential. How many pilot error commercial crashes have had a woman in the left seat?

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What difference does the pilot's sex make?

It would make a world of difference, if going out with her/him after landing! 555

6 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

It's what he does best.

Pilots today 'hand-fly' maybe 5% of the entire flight. Peak human reaction time is .14 seconds, because that is as fast as a neuron can work. Perhaps a shorter person with shorter arms has a better chance of hitting peak, because the impulse has less distance to travel. (Bruce Lee might have been faster, though the ability to test him did not exist when Bruce existed.) Computers can be faster, because a charge can flow faster by wire than a human neuron can fire, and computers do most of the flying.

If it is true that female reaction time is slower, it would only be hundredths of a second, so unlikely to be consequential. How many pilot error commercial crashes have had a woman in the left seat?

I did come across this quote, today, from a female pilot, when I was looking for information on any differences in safety records, based on gender.

I think she summed it up well.

IMG_2322.jpeg

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What difference does the pilot's sex make?

Well, maybe they got the job cos they were the best person for the job, or maybe they got the job to balance out the demographics. 

• Confused 1

I have read several times that on average women make better financial advisers than men because they are slightly more risk averse and  on average will admit and correct a mistake quicker than male counterparts..If this is indeed true as I believe it probably is,not bad qualities in a pilot as well.

23 hours ago, still kicking said:

Mods move it if it is not in the right subject.

I do follow views of air traffic not just Thailand but every country. But I am very surprised how many female pilots we have now. Don't get me wrong I am not against females in any profession but video | Facebook ago it was just for men (maybe wrongly) So how do you feel is your pilot is a female? Video | Facebook

Don't worry. Airplanes are almost full auto now. Women can manage that.