Overstay and new passport

Good morning to everyone on the Forum.

I'm ready to hear all your negative comments and judgments because I deserve it, but I need to ask for information regarding the renewal of my passport: I've been overstaying for years and now it's time to go home, because the only people that kept me in Thailand (my wife and son) died in a car accident. I have to renew my passport: does the renewal at my Embassy have anything to do with the fact that I am overstayed? Could they check and not issue the passport? Thanks to anyone who wants to respond and I want to apologize to everyone.

Your Embassy can't refuse to issue a new Passport, may be you can get an emergency travel Document from your Embassy to leave Thailand a.s.a.p.  to avoid being arrested and deported.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You say it is time to go home and exactly what you should do ASAP. Getting picked up on leaving carries a lesser penalty than getting caught out.

Think it is 20K to be paid and deported, should be able to travel to home country on an expired passport.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

You better research how you would deal with the situation should you be apprehended while waiting for your passport in order to not be sent to immigration detention center ie, have fine ready and ticket out, otherwise if you didn't surrender on your own terms, it could be expensive and inconvenient for you, from arranging for a ticket out while being detained mean going through their 'approved' travel agents and airlines and maybe limited destination you could exit to like passport country only

OP, passport country?  Assume current pp is expired?

asap obtain new pp or emergency travel doc.

Pay 20k at airport and be given a ban according to length of overstay.

image.png.616c8210033af73c5c3b1c2d339f68db.png

• Agree 2

OP, I recommend calling your Embassy for some advice on the matter.
Theoretically, you can return to your home Country on an expired Passport if it's a direct flight, in which case, if not, an emergency travel document may be simpler to obtain.
Your overstay will be none of their concern.

Sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

I would be attending your embassy in person and speaking directly to the consulate section.

Clearly you dont want to be inadvertantly picked up in the interim with no valid visa or passport but Embassies are not in the business of making further problems for themselves

Sorry for your loss but am not being harsh when I say whats thats got to do with being frankly an illegal in the first place for years...thats clearly deliberate

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Disagree, my embassy (european) does not do passport renewals if you are not on a valid visa in the country.

His visa expired years ago, as did mine and probably yours, but let's not get off-topic.

Not all Embassies issue passports, they outsource to the VFS.
His Embassy is there to give him advice in just such situations, that would be my first port of call.

20 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

His visa expired years ago, as did mine and probably yours, but let's not get off-topic.

Not all Embassies issue passports, they outsource to the VFS.
His Embassy is there to give him advice in just such situations, that would be my first port of call.

We not deal with VFS at all, i do not get your reply at all, zero relevance to my comment. What i stated was very clear; many embassies do not renew when your status here is not legal, so that could require you to first need to give up to authorities, in order to have the paperwork satisfying them to get you a new emergency passport. That could also mean detention in the meanwhile. 

To overstay is not a big thing at all, to actually let ones passport expire and ignore it, is very unwise, let alone if your doing both...

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

We not deal with VFS at all, i do not get your reply at all, zero relevance to my comment. What i stated was very clear; many embassies do not renew when your status here is not legal, so that could require you to first need to give up to authorities, in order to have the paperwork satisfying them to get you a new emergency passport. That could also mean detention in the meanwhile. 

To overstay is not a big thing at all, to actually let ones passport expire and ignore it, is very unwise, let alone if your doing both...

No, a long overstay could land you in detention, an expired passport isn't an offence.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

an expired passport isn't an offence.

It is a breach of the Immigration Act, unless you are in one of the 3 groups of aliens allowed to be in Thailand without a valid passport.

Somehow I doubt that woud apply to anyone on this forum.

33 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Do give a clue.

I think the poster is getting confused with the requirements of Section 12 and 13 of the Act, but these only apply when entering the country

.I could be wrong and open to be educated on what section applies to not having a passport, is covered in the immigration act..

IMG_2325.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Theoretically, you can return to your home Country on an expired Passport

No, you cannot, because Thai immigration won't put the exit stamp you require into an expired passport. You might not need a valid travel document to enter your home country, but you do definitely need one to leave Thailand.

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

No, a long overstay could land you in detention, an expired passport isn't an offence.

That's a somewhat theoretical distinction in the case that is being discussed here, as Thai immigration doesn't give extensions that go beyond the expiration date of the applicant's passport.

But remaining in Thailand on a passport that is no longer valid, in itself, does violate Thai immigration law. For example, if your home country revokes your passport, the Thai authorities don't need any additional reason to deport you - just the fact that the passport you entered with is no longer valid suffices. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

...my embassy (european) does not do passport renewals...

Every member country of the European Union (EU) issues is own passports and has its own rules for it.

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Might be worthwhile putting your expired passport through the washing machine to remove any history regarding visas etc. 

I think that this is bad advice.  The authorities (on either/both side) might easily catch on to why it is damaged given the OP's situation.   Defacing/destroying a passport creates it's own penalties.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, tjintx said:

I think that this is bad advice.  The authorities (on either/both side) might easily catch on to why it is damaged given the OP's situation.   Defacing/destroying a passport creates it's own penalties.

To each their own. 

Came to mind, thought I'd throw it out there. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think your embassy would issue a renewal passport without any mention of your current immigration status. If the person you talk with at the embassy notices your overstay they might explain what you need to do to handle it. I highly doubt they'd "tip off" Thai immigration.

As others have mentioned, after you renew you're now just a typical case of an overstay, which Thailand is quite efficient at handling. Bring your 20k to the airport and go. They'll stamp your passport, ban you for a while, and you'll be home free.

In summary seems common advice is to discuss with embassy new passport or emergency travel doc and go to airport with funds for fine and air ticket to home country. 

While the OP, may have serious overstay, he has understay in this thread and nothing to post since starting the thread.

Some have asked pp country etc. 

11 minutes ago, Mui8899 said:

Italian, not expired yet

No offense OP but that's significant info.

If pp is not expired the solution is simple. 

Obtain a flight out and go to airport.

Pay 20k baht and immigration will stamp your pp with overstay and you will be given a ban according to the list I posted.

Good luck 

• Agree 1