Rare Disorder Makes People Think They’re Seeing ‘Demonic’ Faces: 'Like a Horror Movie

Social Media

image.png

Prosopometamorphopsia, a rare disorder recently diagnosed in a 59-year-old man named Victor Sharrah, causes people's faces to appear distorted, resembling "demon-like" features. In Sharrah's case, the disorder manifested as grossly stretched-out facial features, deep grooves on the forehead, cheeks, and chin, and pointed ears, making individuals appear like creatures from a horror movie.

The disorder, described in a study published in The Lancet, is exceptionally rare, with only 81 recorded cases according to a 2021 report. Sharrah described the experience as akin to "staring at demons," where everyone he encountered appeared distorted in this manner, though he could still recognize them.

Interestingly, Sharrah only experienced these distortions when directly looking at a person, not when viewing photos or screens. Researchers utilized computer software to create photorealistic depictions of the distortions experienced by individuals with Prosopometamorphopsia.

Although the cause of Sharrah's disorder remains unclear, researchers noted an arachnoid cyst in his brain. Arachnoid cysts are noncancerous fluid-filled sacs that can grow on the brain or spinal cord and may lead to headaches or seizures. However, treatment is not always necessary unless complications arise.

While Sharrah had a history of bipolar affective disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and a significant head injury, as well as possible carbon monoxide poisoning, none of these factors were definitively linked to the Prosopometamorphopsia. Despite the uncertainty surrounding the cause, Sharrah hopes his diagnosis will help other individuals with the disorder avoid misdiagnosis and inappropriate treatment, such as being institutionalized or prescribed antipsychotic medications.

Source

image.png

I had a similar experience in my youth after taking a certain substance at an outdoor rave in Bath. The Beatles sang about the effects in Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. My friend Dean's face formed pointy ears and a pointed chin so he resembled a cross between a gnome and an elf. Everything around me was pulsing, like the trees and the cars were breathing deeply. The ground was rippling like surf before the wave breaks. 

Terrifying. I reverted to beer shortly afterwards. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I had a similar experience in my youth after taking a certain substance at an outdoor rave in Bath. The Beatles sang about the effects in Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. My friend Dean's face formed pointy ears and a pointed chin so he resembled a cross between a gnome and an elf. Everything around me was pulsing, like the trees and the cars were breathing deeply. The ground was rippling like surf before the wave breaks. 

Terrifying. I reverted to beer shortly afterwards. 

Yes, you learn very quick, to never stare in the mirror too long at your face when 'zooming' on some chemicals.   it was actually my drug of choice for a few years, and probably explains a lot.   Talk about expanding you mind .... :coffee1:

The 60s & 70s ... what a trip ... literally :cheesy:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, you learn very quick, to never stare in the mirror too long at your face when 'zooming' on some chemicals.   it was actually my drug of choice for a few years, and probably explains a lot.   Talk about expanding you mind .... :coffee1:

The 60s & 70s ... what a trip ... literally :cheesy:

Honestly , I agree . I have no business being alive.

Trips &…

• Thumbs Up 1