Phuket tourism boss concerned that the 'feelings' of locals may be provoked by foreigners

webfact

On 3/27/2024 at 3:39 AM, ukrules said:

Local outrage - what nonsense, now national action?

What is a crackdown on foreigners? Are they going to hassle us in the malls? 🤣

Possibly. Unless you're wearing a mask. Masks are a sort of "get out of jail free" card in Thailand and Anutin can't accuse you of being a "dirty farang" if you're wearing one.

On 3/27/2024 at 3:39 AM, ukrules said:

Local outrage - what nonsense, now national action?

What is a crackdown on foreigners? Are they going to hassle us in the malls? 🤣

Possibly. Unless you're wearing a mask. Masks are a sort of "get out of jail free" card in Thailand and Anutin can't accuse you of being a "dirty farang" if you're wearing one.

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2024 at 4:50 AM, spidermike007 said:

Everything in life comes with the trade-off. Nothing in life is free, if you're going to invite tens of millions of tourists in your country you're going to have a few bad apples, you're going to have some idiots that don't behave properly. Same applies to expats, a small percentage are going to misbehave, so you treat them just like anybody else, you discipline them, you fine them, you arrest them, you jail them, whatever is appropriate.

But you don't just complain that foreigners are misbehaving, it's just gets to the point where it's just boring, and very old after a while. Stop with the nonsense, deal with it like adults, do what adults do, which is to face problems and they deal with them. Children moan and groan and show outrage online. 

On 3/27/2024 at 6:41 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

They should be concerned of what normal tourists think about these razzia's instead, as we all know the locals will be going to temples if we suddenly left like during covid. They even relied on foreigners handing out food and meals but that seems all forgotten already, over a few minor and common tourist crimes.

Essentially the locals are showing their true colors, they do not respect us at all, just want our money and bye bye. Same locals now want to know how some foreigners can own company's or land, while they were the ones profiting from the sales 5-10-15 years ago themselves. But I guess that money is now already spent, so it would be ideal to just steal it from the foreigners, to sell it again.

While I fully agree with your point, I don't think any locals relied on handouts of food from foreigners during Covid, except in tourist areas such as Samui, Phuket and Pattaya. 

Also, I recall most foreigners being told to stop food handouts as it was considered as "work" so such actions couldn't have sustained a Thai for very long, given Covid shutdowns including effective border closures lasted for well over 2 years. 

The ones asking how foreigners can own land and/or businesses are either ignorant of reality (I can see this when Thais on Facebook make up facts to suit their narrative, such as going on a rant about there being "too many" Laotian vehicles coming over and claiming it's "way more difficult" for Thais to drive into Laos or other neighbors, which isn't true at all, but facts don't matter to a triggered Thai) or they weren't the ones selling land to foreigners to begin with.

Middle class Bangkok locals with way too much time on their hands and who've never dealt with a foreigner in any capacity before don't have the slightest clue of how things work for us here or what the law is like. They're good at generating online drama though. See the Swiss kicking incident for example. Way overblown. 

Edited by Highlandman

7 hours ago, Highlandman said:

While I fully agree with your point, I don't think any locals relied on handouts of food from foreigners during Covid, except in tourist areas such as Samui, Phuket and Pattaya. 

Also, I recall most foreigners being told to stop food handouts as it was considered as "work" so such actions couldn't have sustained a Thai for very long, given Covid shutdowns including effective border closures lasted for well over 2 years. 

The ones asking how foreigners can own land and/or businesses are either ignorant of reality (I can see this when Thais on Facebook make up facts to suit their narrative, such as going on a rant about there being "too many" Laotian vehicles coming over and claiming it's "way more difficult" for Thais to drive into Laos or other neighbors, which isn't true at all, but facts don't matter to a triggered Thai) or they weren't the ones selling land to foreigners to begin with.

Middle class Bangkok locals with way too much time on their hands and who've never dealt with a foreigner in any capacity before don't have the slightest clue of how things work for us here or what the law is like. They're good at generating online drama though. See the Swiss kicking incident for example. Way overblown. 

You're certainly right about the generation of online drama, this netizen thing is so silly, and juvenile and the outrage is so fake and so phony, and so soft.

If you're going to show outrage, save the outrage for something real, save the outrage for something that warrants outrage. How about saving the outrage for this ridiculous non-democratic, self appointed government, and continued army control? 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 7:38 AM, arithai12 said:

Since you seem to be the one who can do the thinking, please be informed that "young Russians escaping the war" have many other options apart from Thailand. And if someone is escaping mandatory draft it's the Ukrainians, not the Russians. But apart from that, do you have any statistics to prove that, after normalization, Russians and Chinese behave worse than say Brits or Kiwis? Only difference is that Russian and Chinese bring in far more money than, say, Brits or Kiwis.

A massive difference between well-healed Russians who made money in post-Soviet times, with Yeltsin's blessing, and the current young dissidents forced to escape Putin in Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland. Thailand may be unfortunate in that respect but it helps everyone to note the difference. However, churlish Russians deserve the bad press they get, and they will sure get to hear about it - as time will tell