Phuket tourism boss concerned that the 'feelings' of locals may be provoked by foreigners

webfact

1 hour ago, Funkymover said:

so whats the stats, 2 criminals for every 1000 foreigner , but hey , lets clamp down on them all,,  yet the thousands of thai criminals, does not seem to be a problem for them 

The grumpy simplifications are often mutual.

1 hour ago, Funkymover said:

so whats the stats, 2 criminals for every 1000 foreigner , but hey , lets clamp down on them all,,  yet the thousands of thai criminals, does not seem to be a problem for them 

That photo of a bound Thai cop still bothers me, as it may many others.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

a local tourism industry boss in Phuket has expressed concern about the feelings of local people following several high-profile criminal acts by foreigners

All this started in Phuket .

But Phuket is too packed with foreigners , tourists and longer staying Russians .

There is no place left on the island .

Sure , the locals want to earn money , they do this in the moment .

Too many different nationalities and cultures packed together in a tight space creates tensions , that's clear ...

So , who is at fault ?

The politicians who welcomed tourists after locals complained about not earning enough money after Covid ?

Or the locals who got much more farangs than they wanted ...?

Be careful what you wish for .

The Sri Lankan way to get rid of ( russian ) people is becoming more plausible every day ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-ukraine-tourists-sri-lanka-visas-whites-only-event-2024-2?op=1

Be careful what you wish for .

Too many foreigners ... stress for locals , but enough money to be made .

Much less foreigners ... not enough money , people will complain again ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The Phuket tourism boss is trying to raise his profile. Thailand hasn't any greater problems with foreigners than other countries. Considering the number of tourists, the relaxed drinking laws, the sex industry and the laziness and corruption in the RTP, the criminal activities of foreigners seems statistically low. It's pretty obvious that tourist centers are going to be a hub of a few undesirables  both Thai and foreigners which is why Phuket seems to get mentioned a lot but rarely Isaan where I live which seems to be an island of peace and relaxed attitude by the authorities, Bangkok could be a foreign country as far as the locals are concerned, at any rate I haven't seen any change in attitude towards me which has always been friendly and welcoming.

This is why I'm considering a move from Samui to somewhere without so many foreigners, I live in a Thai area so don't have anything to do with authorities really on the day-to-day, but I can see the IO becoming a little bit more annoying to deal with down here plus the rents are just going through the roof due to Israeli, Ukrainian and Russians (some others too but mostly seem to be these nations for the obvious reasons) operating subletting businesses 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Do you think they’d be concerned about corrupt politicians, returning after years away the sister, who leaves somehow the day before sentencing the cops, here are corrupt the governors of the provinces who are corrupt the principal and the teachers, and they’re more worried about a few foreigners, who caused a very limited amount of actual damage to the country. Go figure TIT.

Full marks for shoehorning an anti Shin comment into the subject of badly behaved foreigners.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

The Thais only 'think' short term as usual.

Allow thousands of Russians in, then go visa free for the Chinese, for short term gain, but don't think ahead?

Didn't they think, all these, relatively young, Russians escaping the war, will run out of money at some point?

Since you seem to be the one who can do the thinking, please be informed that "young Russians escaping the war" have many other options apart from Thailand. And if someone is escaping mandatory draft it's the Ukrainians, not the Russians. But apart from that, do you have any statistics to prove that, after normalization, Russians and Chinese behave worse than say Brits or Kiwis? Only difference is that Russian and Chinese bring in far more money than, say, Brits or Kiwis.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1