Polar ice is melting and changing Earth’s rotation. It’s messing with time itself

Social Media

11 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

particularly how few are capable of subtracting a second

Leap seconds do cause issues with software that expects a minute to always have 60 seconds indeed. It's sad because that stuff is nothing new just usually works in the other direction 😕

12 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Read what I already wrote. You'll have your answer 👍

You said it's governed by human imagination which is a weird claim. We defined terms like Days in relation to the day and night cycle which depends on earths rotational speed. Claiming that's just imagination... well I'll call that imaginative.

14 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You said it's governed by human imagination which is a weird claim. We defined terms like Days in relation to the day and night cycle which depends on earths rotational speed. Claiming that's just imagination... well I'll call that imaginative.

And that's your right.

Science hasn't find the answer yet.

Some scientists think that time is an illusion and other don't...

SO logically it is time to increase people on this planet, that is the main cause of all.

This year Tsingtao virus? Last virus we also named after a beer.

image.thumb.png.53bc5b4db0c3b74b09c008fcaedab693.png

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Time is how much a clock proceeds. A very precise clock would be a light clock for example. Time on the farther edge of our spinning ball proceeds at a different speed to some place with less rotational speed as observed by that person. Our relationship to time does not change for ourselves, that is always constant. But we observe the speed of time for others change. If the rotational speed of the earth changes then the difference of speed of time for people at different speeds relative to us changes as well.

Our relationship to time does not change for ourselves, that is always constant.

Not so, When I'm having a good time, time always goes faster for me than when I'm bored.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Our relationship to time does not change for ourselves, that is always constant.

Not so, When I'm having a good time, time always goes faster for me than when I'm bored.

There's also the effect that time seems to pass faster the older we get. When you are young a few months are an eternity but later you get thoughts like "another year passed?".

The article is pretty close to crap. Earths rotational speed only changes by about 2 milliseconds per century..... it does fluctuate, and did speed up a little bit, but is back to normal currently.

https://www.sciencealert.com/earth-s-days-are-suddenly-increasing-in-length-mystifying-scientists

And even that headline is not really accurate (read the article)