Polar ice is melting and changing Earth’s rotation. It’s messing with time itself

Social Media

20 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Propaganda you say.

Then immediately launch into rightwing conspiracy nonsense.

You can tell when it is BS because they state no actual facts, no reference to a real scientific study or paper.  Just saying it is so, doesn't make it true.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, RPCVguy said:

What is happening is that the mass of ice at the poles that melts ends up becoming part of the water bulge of oceans at the equator. Just like a figure skater can slow a spin by extending arms outward, the added mass at the equator means the Earth spins slightly slower.

Another theory says the planet is swelling a little and becoming rounder because the surface pressure of the ice from the ice age has been removed. 

53 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Time is esential for all technology we are depending on our daily lives, and are influenced by earths change in rotation 🤓

Galilean Relativity maybe but Einstein said that time is relative

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Another theory says the planet is swelling a little and becoming rounder because the surface pressure of the ice from the ice age has been removed. 

That's just another aspect of geophysics relating to glacial ice melt. It is not related to the latitude but rather to the specific mountains or land mass that is losing glacial ice. Post-glacial rebound or isostatic adjustment is the rise of land masses that were depressed by the huge weight of ice sheets during the last ice age.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, parallelman said:

Galilean Relativity maybe but Einstein said that time is relative

In a frame of reference

Everything have an time stamp on it, and for sure the observable universe. Whats outside, we do not know, and our observations is limited by the universe horizon where we have no data. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

In a frame of reference

Everything have an time stamp on it, and for sure the observable universe. Whats outside, we do not know, and our observations is limited by the universe horizon where we have no data. 

We stamp a time, but to a light beam time does not exist...according to Lorentz frames of reference.

19 minutes ago, RPCVguy said:

That's just another aspect of geophysics relating to glacial ice melt.

Yes but slightly older than "since 1990's" so not related to the human timescale.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, parallelman said:

We stamp a time, but to a light beam time does not exist...according to Lorentz frames of reference.

If speed of ligth is infinite, but it is not! Just a matter of Time 

They forgot to factor in the claim that the magnetic pole is apparently moving too.

I feel better now I have been given a reason to think time was accelerating as I got older !

My birthdays seem to get closer together every year!

On 3/28/2024 at 9:08 AM, Social Media said:

the melting of polar ice caps is not only altering the Earth's climate but also influencing its rotation, ultimately affecting the very essence of time itself.

Time, as interpreted by humans, is measured at its most accurate by atomic clocks monitoring the resonant frequency of atoms. This is not influenced by Earth's climate.

However, my 90 day reporting interval is influenced by Earth's rotation, and therefore could very well be affected...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If speed of ligth is infinite, but it is not! Just a matter of Time 

No, that is Galilean thinking. In SR the the limit is 3x108 m/s and where both the time and space axis meet.

However we are going off topic a bit. What meant originally is that while many things could affect the Earth's rotation and thus our clocks, it won't matter to other planets. So in that sense Earth's rotation does not govern 'time'. Indeed the rotation of the Earth was much faster in the past that it is now.

3 minutes ago, parallelman said:

No, that is Galilean thinking. In SR the the limit is 3x108 m/s and where both the time and space axis meet.

However we are going off topic a bit. What meant originally is that while many things could affect the Earth's rotation and thus our clocks, it won't matter to other planets. So in that sense Earth's rotation does not govern 'time'. Indeed the rotation of the Earth was much faster in the past that it is now.

At one time it was 12 hour days, not so good for advanced lifeforms 😁

The whole galaxy is involved loking big on it, there will always be shifting forces involved somehow, and constant changes, but for now, we are good for awhile

On 3/28/2024 at 9:08 AM, Social Media said:

The inexorable march of time, governed by the Earth's rotation

Nope. Earth's rotation doesn't govern time.

Time is a human construct and is governed by human imagination.

(not to be confused with time as understood in "space-time")

Time has been measured using the properties of an chemical element called caesium.

It has been so since the sixties and the first caesium clocks.

Before that, time was measured using pendulums.

If earth's rotation governed the march of time, then spinning earth the other way around would make us travel back in time and spinning it faster would propel us to the future...

spacer.png

• Love It 1

I think time is of the essence. It plays a very important part in the core of my existence. On many occasions I have deeply considered the effect on my life if it were possible to alter time, either way, negatively or positively.

And I think I am not alone. People all around the world are troubled by the obtruding value of time itself, as it so frequently appears when one least expects it to. This seems to be a most regular occurrence that can be observed at or near 1100 pm on most days in the Western World.

The Cry goes up "TIME PLEASE" in hundreds of thousands of public houses and ones life instantly changes. A tinge of sadness creeps in, along with a steady reduction of fluid intake, and an immediate dispersal of like minded human beings to God knows where.

Time is not an unknown factor to many of us.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, pelagicpete said:

I think time is of the essence. It plays a very important part in the core of my existence. On many occasions I have deeply considered the effect on my life if it were possible to alter time, either way, negatively or positively.

And I think I am not alone. People all around the world are troubled by the obtruding value of time itself, as it so frequently appears when one least expects it to. This seems to be a most regular occurrence that can be observed at or near 1100 pm on most days in the Western World.

The Cry goes up "TIME PLEASE" in hundreds of thousands of public houses and ones life instantly changes. A tinge of sadness creeps in, along with a steady reduction of fluid intake, and an immediate dispersal of like minded human beings to God knows where.

Time is not an unknown factor to many of us.

Yes, it does seem very difficult to accept that 'time' may not actually exist especially when there are numerous hypotheses and ideas about 'time travel'.  I mean, although the Special and General Theories of Relativity tells us that 'time' is not a constant they don't actually deny its existence. However, there are researchers who say that the change that happens from one point to another is just that, a change from one situation/condition to the next. We give this a name, Interval, and we also add another property, a count. which we call time. So we have 'time interval'. An Artificial Emergent property.The idea of 60 seconds has its roots from thousands of years ago first written by the ancient Sumerians but since calendar agriculture was well established before then the root may go back much further. At daily level it suits us well. It gives us an order of things happening but when you go outside this 'daily box' either on the quantum level of the cosmological  high velocity level, 'time' loses that neat definition we have for daily life.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Isostatic rebound of the lithosphere will occur near the poles if a significant amount of polar ice cap melts away and that would make the earth "rounder" (in an all round way of course).

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

That would depend on the definition of time,

If time is the delineation of one event from another, then since these processes have not changed , time has also not changed. 

What has changed is  our relationship to it.  

Time is how much a clock proceeds. A very precise clock would be a light clock for example. Time on the farther edge of our spinning ball proceeds at a different speed to some place with less rotational speed as observed by that person. Our relationship to time does not change for ourselves, that is always constant. But we observe the speed of time for others change. If the rotational speed of the earth changes then the difference of speed of time for people at different speeds relative to us changes as well.

4 hours ago, MrPancake said:

If earth's rotation governed the march of time, then spinning earth the other way around would make us travel back in time and spinning it faster would propel us to the future...

Nonsense. Time (as in space-time) is influenced by the speed between two observers. The direction of that speed does not change the direction of time which has only one direction - forward. Only the absolute value of the speed matters. No direction in "km/s".

22 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I love when you post these silly one word retorts. Good to see you found a new one though, "Pinned" was getting boring. 

It just proves to me you have nothing intelligent to say that disproves my points.

Thanks again for confirming that fact. 

He posts left wing opinions. Far left actually. Never any facts.

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Nonsense. Time (as in space-time) is influenced by the speed between two observers. The direction of that speed does not change the direction of time which has only one direction - forward. Only the absolute value of the speed matters. No direction in "km/s".

The article talks about time as in "time passing by" not as in "space-time".

Edited by MrPancake

16 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

The article talks about time as in "time passing by" not as in "space-time".

I posted in relation to your "if the earth spun the the way" post. The article indeed talks about time as in calendar or time of day.

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I posted in relation to your "if the earth spun the the way" post. The article indeed talks about time as in calendar or time of day.

Problem is I don't think you actually understood the covert ironic meaning of my post.

I was extrapolating from the dumb logic underlying the article's statement "earth rotation governs time".

44 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Problem is I don't think you actually understood the covert ironic meaning of my post.

I was extrapolating from the dumb logic underlying the article's statement "earth rotation governs time".

It clearly does govern (influence) time. Both in the sense of wall-time as well as space-time as percieved by us. It's not dumb logic.

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

It clearly does govern (influence) time. Both in the sense of wall-time as well as space-time as percieved by us. It's not dumb logic.

Govern and influence are two different things.

23 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well it is just past 18:00hrs, so I guess that makes sense.

As I'm sure you have already learned, the more 'poorly educated' the poster, the more sure they are of all their scientific "theorems".

Some are saying a second here or there won't affect them, but apparently they missed the part about computer systems, particularly how few are capable of subtracting a second. Of course such things would only matter in the modern world, and many choose to live in the Dark Ages, when computers didn't drive everything from air traffic control to power systems to nuclear reactors to street lights to......

If any problems arise from this rotational and tangential momentum changes, the usual suspects will blame "woke libtards" or maybe vaccines.