The UK also needs to confront the costs of Public Sector pensions . . .

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Thanks for the reply Eddie. You are right, there's much anger amongst working taxpayers about those on benefits, the costs of immigration and the high level of taxes producing a poor level of services.

You seem nearer to retirement but think how working youngsters feel as they contemplate a lifetime of work, (probably unable to buy a house), with uncertainty about what their own State pension might be later as demographic trends impact.

Taking away the triple lock would be perceived as an injustice by Pensioners, but if it remains and say, RPI is 2% and wage growth 5%, workers burdened with higher ever taxes will perceive injustice if Pensioners receive a 5% hike.

On balance we need to save the dosh and get working taxes down by this smidgeon and every other smidgeon that we can. It's those in work now we all depend on.

Totally agree and I see no answer to resolve the situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Eddie - re. your last - of course you do get something back but what you will get back hasn't been sitting in an Eddie bucket, it will come from the current tax take.

What "you've been paying" has been paid into the current tax take.

I understand how it works. Also, how many pensioners are receiving, and how much less is being contributed. Triple lock unsustainable too. Something's going to have to give. I saw a article a few years ago that said if pensions were to be on same scale of affordability as when conceived, they wouldn't be paid out until age 80yrs! We're all living too long these days compared to the 1950's.

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I understand how it works. Also, how many pensioners are receiving, and how much less is being contributed. Triple lock unsustainable too. Something's going to have to give. I saw a article a few years ago that said if pensions were to be on same scale of affordability as when conceived, they wouldn't be paid out until age 80yrs! We're all living too long these days compared to the 1950's.

The ‘war babies’ raised on rationing are living longer.

You can see them in the UK, while old and naturally frail, they are still not over weight, still active in their lives.

Not so later generations.

The argument that people are living longer based on the evidence of the ‘war babies’ while ignoring the obese generations that followed is very clearly flawed.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You can see them in the UK, while old and naturally frail, they are still not over weight, still active in their lives.

The argument that people are living longer based on the evidence of the ‘war babies’ while ignoring the obese generations that followed is very clearly flawed.

Yes was tough then, making up for it now.  "living longer"? I guess, came back from Thailand for "making me live longer mode" (cancer)  guess it worked.

I agree tho, public sector pensions out of control  ,play the system,26 and half years, obtain full  30 year pension, out at 45  years of age, start paying full NI stamp ,obtain full OAP, plus pre 97 ,grad pension, plus serps  whatever else was bundled up into final,  throw in criminal injury claim that finished career,gawd forgive me,it came to £000000s,then DWP benefits ,shovelling it out like going out of fashion,all tax free

Now 'ere I am UK  still dumping money on me like its going out of fashion £200 a week mostly tax free

Never to bite the hands that feed me, but I do send money to ex there in TH,so all forgiven I hope? No?  well I do try  lol

May come back,who knows?  There were loads of public uniformed at it  ,should say were,mostly fin now

4 minutes ago, Tiber said:

Yes was tough then, making up for it now.  "living longer"? I guess, came back from Thailand for "making me live longer mode" (cancer)  guess it worked.

I agree tho, public sector pensions out of control  ,play the system,26 and half years, obtain full  30 year pension, out at 45  years of age, start paying full NI stamp ,obtain full OAP, plus pre 97 ,grad pension, plus serps  whatever else was bundled up into final,  throw in criminal injury claim that finished career,gawd forgive me,it came to £000000s,then DWP benefits ,shovelling it out like going out of fashion,all tax free

Now 'ere I am UK  still dumping money on me like its going out of fashion £200 a week mostly tax free

Never to bite the hands that feed me, but I do send money to ex there in TH,so all forgiven I hope? No?  well I do try  lol

May come back,who knows?  There were loads of public uniformed at it  ,should say were,mostly fin now

Plus, I lived there with unfrozen pension,check A1  its all legal

4 hours ago, Tiber said:

In the interest of being fair minded I’ll read that again tomorrow  morning after breakfast and a strong coffee to see if it makes any more sense than it does now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

In the interest of being fair minded I’ll read that again tomorrow  morning after breakfast and a strong coffee to see if it makes any more sense than it does now.

As its public sector,you would have to have to have belonged to understand it

On 4/2/2024 at 12:48 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

As is not recognising major advances in medical science and medications.

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I read that multiple times, still non the wiser on what it was meant to say.

If its the "26 and a half years" bit?.   public sector pensions, as mine that was,30 years for max pension in that employment  Pension was divided in 5 year  segments, leave earlier obv lower pension depending why you left.  Injured however moved the individual into the next highest segment ,instead of 30/60s moved to 40/60s as was my case. Worse thing I ever did commute, tax free obv,but 25% less, after all these years would be hell of a difference

Anyway its all there in A1,got the hang of that ages ago Co-pilot for one, there are many. That's why I lived there in TH unfrozen.  Have to hang my hat to A1 though, ask a Q,if it does not know it backs itself into a position that discovers, took a couple of hours to go thru DWP files to find no fraud/crime,   good eh!

Edited by Tiber

2 minutes ago, Tiber said:

If its the "26 and a half years" bit?.   public sector pensions, as mine that was,30 years for max pension in that employment  Pension was divided in 5 year  segments, leave earlier obv lower pension depending why you left.  Injured however moved the individual into the next highest segment ,instead of 30/60s moved to 40/60s as was my case. Worse thing I ever did commute, tax free obv,but 25% less, after all these years would be hell of a difference

Remind me.

Amongst the reasons to leave is criminal conviction of certain crimes while  in office (not that this applies to you) but when it does what happens to the Civil Servant’s/Police Officer’s pension?

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

As is not recognising major advances in medical science and medications.

Its not just that but the time it takes to receive them. Before joining the public sector,I wore a tin 'at ,the ex military have worked wonders in pushing me thru hoops I could never have achieved, even now "need to see a GP"?  there  same day

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Remind me.

Amongst the reasons to leave is criminal conviction of certain crimes while  in office (not that this applies to you) but when it does what happens to the Civil Servant’s/Police Officer’s pension?

Ask an ex copper  (or A1)

Edited by Tiber
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Tiber said:

Ask an ex copper  (or A1)

You know the answer, and so do I, otherwise I would not have asked.

The pensions of civil servants, police officers and others in public office are subject to forfeiture in the event of certain criminal convictions relating to their duties in office, chiefly corruption.

It’s a big stick to keep these people on the right side of the law as they climb the career ladder, gain more power and more to lose - we can thank Samuel Peeps for that.

It’s also a glaring example of precisely why there is no equivalence to be drawn between public and private sector pension schemes.

They come with completely different rules, one can be forfeited for behavior in office, the other cannot.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You know the answer, and so do I, otherwise I would not have asked.

The pensions of civil servants, police officers and others in public office are subject to forfeiture in the event of certain criminal convictions relating to their duties in office, chiefly corruption.

It’s a big stick to keep these people on the right side of the law as they climb the career ladder, gain more power and more to lose - we can thank Samuel Peeps for that.

It’s also a glaring example of precisely why there is no equivalence to be drawn between public and private sector pension schemes.

They come with completely different rules, one can be forfeited for behavior in office, the other cannot.

I was a copper for short time before switching jobs

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Thank you for your service.

Thanks,Id hate to go through that all again in present day, fact is Id run a mile!

Here is one answer from A1
"You"
is it illegal to receive an unfrozen oap in Thailand

Copilot
Explore

In Thailand, receiving an unfrozen OAP (Old Age Pension) is not illegal.

1 hour ago, Tiber said:

Its not just that but the time it takes to receive them. Before joining the public sector,I wore a tin 'at ,the ex military have worked wonders in pushing me thru hoops I could never have achieved, even now "need to see a GP"?  there  same day

I've never served in the military. I can see a GP next day too.