Fiber Optic Internet

jaywalker2

I was wondering what the internet situation is in Pattaya and especially Jomtien. Do most condo buildings offer fiber optic internet? What about the View Talay condos, such as View Talay 2A and 5C. Are you able to connect fiber optic internet?

View Talay 5D only has VDSL, which I think is the equivalent of fibre-to-the-node in Australia, ie fibre to an equipment room on the ground floor of the building, and copper to each individual condo. Although it would be great to have fibre all the way, I was impressed with the speed when I was there last month - enough to stream 4K from Amazon Prime to my 4K TV with no interruptions. Amazing what can be done with copper.

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

View Talay 5D only has VDSL, which I think is the equivalent of fibre-to-the-node in Australia, ie fibre to an equipment room on the ground floor of the building, and copper to each individual condo. Although it would be great to have fibre all the way, I was impressed with the speed when I was there last month - enough to stream 4K from Amazon Prime to my 4K TV with no interruptions. Amazing what can be done with copper.

The speed is capped at 20mbs though, isn't it?

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Pattaya/Jomtien have had digital dial for some time now.  :sorry:

Modem - Wikipedia

I heard from more than one person that VT8 and maybe VT5 only have ADSL, which I found hard to believe. Also,  I have heard that many buildings only have 3bb as a provider. What happened to True and AIS?

6 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I heard from more than one person that VT8 and maybe VT5 only have ADSL, which I found hard to believe. Also,  I have heard that many buildings only have 3bb as a provider. What happened to True and AIS?

3BB is AIS and DTAC is True.  Not a lot of competition.  Condos may indeed have a set provider and as said final path may not be fiber.  But believe for most people service is fine for needs.  But something to check upfront before renting if speed is required.  Another option is SIM card wifi modem.

35 minutes ago, Henryford said:

In my condo i had to pay, 4000 baht, to run a 3BB fibre into my 5th floor condo. Well worth it get the 500-1000 speeds.

Presuming you own not rent then.

They made a right mess at the pole near my gate and the cable has since dropped onto a roof......

23 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

The speed is capped at 20mbs though, isn't it?

Apologies for delayed reply. I ran a couple of speed tests, and they showed nearly 50 mbs over WiFi. I’m anything but a computer expert, so maybe I misunderstood something about the test. 3BB is the provider.

I also have an AIS 5G SIM card, but was only getting 2 or 3 mbs with it. I’ve been told that mobile phone transmissions are aimed towards the ground, so if you’re on a high floor, reception will be poor. Not claiming this is true, it’s just something I’ve been told.

On fiber optic, of course, typical speeds for uploads and downloads are 500 mbs and in Bangkok most buildings are wired as far as I can tell. I know my building in Bangkok has TOT, True, and AIS. What surprised me is that ADSL appears to be common in Pattaya and/or many people are using sim cards for Internet access. It made me wonder about the discrepency between the two places and why 3bb is so popular there while it's the number 3 Internet provider in Bangkok, way behind AIS, which is way behind True (yes, I know 3bb was bought by AIS but it's still operating under its own brand for the time being).

On 3/29/2024 at 6:23 AM, jaywalker2 said:

Is this true?  I was seriously looking at VT5D instead of VT2A but no fiber would be a deal breaker for me.

Edited by shdmn

3 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Is this true?  I was looking at VT5D instead of VT2A but no fiber to the room would be a deal breaker for me.

Me too. That's why I was trying to get clarity on the issue. I wonder if  you could get fiber optic if you paid for the installation yourself.

7 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

(yes, I know 3bb was bought by AIS but it's still operating under its own brand for the time being

Actually both 3BB and DTAC names are still used - but they are effectively joint operations with AIS and True now.  Here in Latphao have 3 AIS installation trucks on my Soi and they are labeled as AIS - 3BB.

https%3A%2F%2Fcms-image-bucket-production-ap-northeast-1-a7d2.s3.ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fimages%2F0%2F3%2F9%2F1%2F41171930-1-eng-GB%2F%E5%90%8D%E7%A7%B0%E6%9C%AA%E8%A8%AD%E5%AE%9A+1.jpg?width=700&fit=cover&gravity=faces&dpr=2&quality=medium&source=nar-cms

2 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I wonder if  you could get fiber optic if you paid for the installation yourself.

Do not believe that is generally an option due to Condo management rules.

Are you kidding us you are proud because you pay for optic fiber TBHT 4000 equivalent to €102 per month for internet access? (yearly €1.224 or TBHT48.102)

Come on be serious because in Athens /Greece Ι pay €20 (ΤΒΗΤ 785) per month and I work in internet for my company -make phone-video calls and beside of that I watch on line TVNews and movies almost every day /night.

The problem with the fiber optic connection is that the ground line goes all the way to the nearest splitter in your home.
From there on, are you sure enouth that the structured cable from the apartment building to your house  have fiber optic installation? (inside the walls)

If yes then we are talking about house construction at least 2015 until today......Live smart -buy and pay fair prices in your daily life and do not leave your fantasy orgies to disrupt your daily life.

Friendy from Greece/Athens !

Edited by Paris333

16 minutes ago, Paris333 said:

you pay for optic fiber TBHT 4000 equivalent to €102 per month for internet access? (yearly €1.224 or TBHT48.102)

I'm pretty sure he paid a one time installation fee of 4,000 baht to run fiber to his unit from the main telecom closet, which is quite the bargain if his building does not have existing structured cabling.

Edited by spongeworthy

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Do not believe that is generally an option due to Condo management rules.

Only in Thailand could you find a condo association / board that would restrict a telco, which already has fiber to the building, from building out the structured cabling to each unit adding huge value to their asset. In 2024 no less.

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

Is this true?  I was seriously looking at VT5D instead of VT2A but no fiber would be a deal breaker for me.

Don't know about VT2A, my  condo is in VT5D. I paid 2500B to run fiber optic cable from the utility room to my unit in 2021. TOT, which is now NT is the only choice. Once you have fiber optic cable connected to your unit, you can pay yearly for the service.

Edited by Thailand J

In general Thailand has pretty good infrastructure, the fiber optic here is fantastic, it's very consistent, and it's relatively inexpensive. 

On a slightly different topic where Thailand really needs to work on its infrastructure is in high speed trains, for both people and cargo, and small regional airports like Hua Hin, which should be handling 40 flights a day. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Don't know about VT2A, my  condo is in VT5D. I paid 2500B to run fiber optic cable from the utility room to my unit in 2021. TOT, which is now NT is the only choice. Once you have fiber optic cable connected to your unit, you can pay yearly for the service.

As a fellow owner in VT5D, that’s super interesting for me! Are you on a high floor?

4 hours ago, spongeworthy said:

I'm pretty sure he paid a one time installation fee of 4,000 baht to run fiber to his unit from the main telecom closet, which is quite the bargain if his building does not have existing structured cabling.

I have heard of this being done, but under the proviso that the building management permit it, and that the ISP has lines suitably placed to then jump towards your balcony. 

2 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

As a fellow owner in VT5D, that’s super interesting for me! Are you on a high floor?

There is a utility room or meter room on every floor next to the elevators. TOT tech ran fiber optic cable above the ceiling along the hallway from that room to my condo. 2500B was paid to the front desk, receipt issued by VT. The fee is the same no matter which floor you are on.

I've just checked my record , it was in August 2020 when I was remodeling my condo. My crew worked with TOT tech to have the fiber optic cable run into my unit , and have the cable in the wall (not on the wall) of my living room. I have double units at the corner.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, SportRider said:

For 300b a month I get reliable 50mbps speed from an AIS sim card.  Usually much higher...

100mbps today.

Screenshot_20240330_062836_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.9a2679510da3d2586a43c6ad3b8e8a90.jpg

Trouble is with 5G is when you have a busy weekend and lots of tourists phones are hitting your tower the speed drops consideraby.

People appear to be a bit confused, fiber in a condo has nothing to do with condo rules, it comes down to whether fiber is in the building, or can be installed in the building. Usually, only one internet provider has run cables into a condo building, usually when it was built. Some buildings the cables can be upgraded with no problems, others, its almost impossible.

Even in a building with fiber, the owner will still have to pay for the installation from the basement/risers into the condo, and retro fitting cables can be expensive, often using the existing phone cable to pull through the fiber, breaking into and repairing roof cavities etc. Once connected, its like your electricity, you pay a monthly bill to the telephone company, not the condo block.

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

There is a utility room or meter room on every floor next to the elevators. TOT tech ran fiber optic cable above the ceiling along the hallway from that room to my condo. 2500B was paid to the front desk, receipt issued by VT. The fee is the same no matter which floor you are on.

I've just checked my record , it was in August 2020 when I was remodeling my condo. My crew worked with TOT tech to have the fiber optic cable run into my unit , and have the cable in the wall (not on the wall) of my living room. I have double units at the corner.

Thanks so much for that. Although I’m happy for now with VDSL, that’s great to know for the future, and your corner unit would have required the greatest length of cable.

After checking on 3BB’s website that fibre wasn’t available for VT5D, and confirming this with them at their shop, I just assumed this would be the case for all providers, as in Australia. I suppose 3BB weren’t about to volunteer the information that TOT could do it.

2 hours ago, Thailand J said:

That means the building is wired for fiber optical then. They just don't offer it to the tenants?

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

People appear to be a bit confused, fiber in a condo has nothing to do with condo rules, it comes down to whether fiber is in the building, or can be installed in the building. Usually, only one internet provider has run cables into a condo building, usually when it was built. Some buildings the cables can be upgraded with no problems, others, its almost impossible.

Even in a building with fiber, the owner will still have to pay for the installation from the basement/risers into the condo, and retro fitting cables can be expensive, often using the existing phone cable to pull through the fiber, breaking into and repairing roof cavities etc. Once connected, its like your electricity, you pay a monthly bill to the telephone company, not the condo block.

That's not true. Many buildings in Bangkok have multiple providers. My building was built in 1997, and you can get fiber optical service through True, AIS, or TOT (whatever they're calling themselves now(.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Thanks so much for that. Although I’m happy for now with VDSL, that’s great to know for the future, and your corner unit would have required the greatest length of cable.

After checking on 3BB’s website that fibre wasn’t available for VT5D, and confirming this with them at their shop, I just assumed this would be the case for all providers, as in Australia. I suppose 3BB weren’t about to volunteer the information that TOT could do it.

The problem I always had with VDSL was reliability. I was getting it through True and it would cut out several times a day. I had the technician here and he tried to fix it, but they finally told just to put in the optical fiber.

Edited by jaywalker2
spelling mistake

2 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

That's not true. Many buildings in Bangkok have multiple providers. My building was built in 1997, and you can get fiber optical service through True, AIS, or TOT (whatever they're calling themselves now(.

I should add that installation and the router are free. Despite this buidling being old, the providers seemed to have no trouble adding the fiber optic cables.