Americans -- did you know that Albania wants us? (Another Plan B alternative to Thailand)

50 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No and no.

I did see that there are a few decent Chinese restaurants in Tirana though. 

And, by decent, what is it you mean by this, EXACTLY?

Do you even know what decent Chinese cuisine tastes like, outside of Philly's Chinese cuisine, which is mostly garbage?

image.png.c19bd10865c54edddb8bbbbb238f2527.png

Snow covered rocky crags, across the water, as the Brindisi Corfu ferry traced the isles east coast prior to arrival. Really beautiful. Early April, and cold in Greece that spring.

May till mid October. That leaves six and a half months of b-tt cheek numbing weather. REI, LL BEAN, PATAGONIA have good cold weather gear and online ordering (F--- Amazon) BTW Merino wool long underwear is great, make it your friend. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not to be Islamophobic but it's a heavily Muslim country and dangerous for gay people but better in Tirana.

It all sounds great on paper but after having done a quick Google search as well as the ISG forum, it seems that err......female company, be it p4p or casual/easy, is basically non-existent or at least super difficult.

So, hard pass (for me). For now.

But interesting nevertheless.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Heckling not appreciated.

Sorry, didn't think you were serious when you were saying "it's best in the country of Albania, therefore it's equivalent to BKK".

Kind of like saying New York City is the same as Majuro (capital of Marshall Islands) because Majuro has the most people in the Marshall Islands.

I really thought it was humor, like "Hey, the capital of Albania has the best garbage disposal in all of Albania!".

Edited by QuantumQuandry

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Do the women appreciate older men  similarly to “some Thai Girls”?

I can’t say enough about hospitality.Im often treated with dignity , respect and worth , here.

I especially like the bowing & complimentary , Thank you to love me.

No snow is a plus too.

Yeah...give it a go.

https://exit.al/en/albanian-blood-feuds-more-than-10000-revenge-killings-in-30-years/

19 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

It all sounds great on paper but after having done a quick Google search as well as the ISG forum, it seems that err......female company, be it p4p or casual/easy, is basically non-existent or at least super difficult.

So, hard pass (for me). For now.

But interesting nevertheless.

One thing I noticed in Albania is that there are almost no female waitresses in the restaurants.

The families are protecting a lot their women, if you mess with a wrong family you'll wonder in which part of the world to hide.

Wonderful country for short visit, but it is the most criminal infested nation in Europe, tons of brutal gangs controlling drugs and sex trafficking across Europe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you even know what decent Chinese cuisine tastes like, outside of Philly's Chinese cuisine, which is mostly garbage?

image.png.c19bd10865c54edddb8bbbbb238f2527.png

Yes I know. 

I enjoyed traveling around the country way back in 2013. Did not think about it being a long term place for me at the time. I was more interested in exploring the world before getting a retirement visa for Thailand.  Maybe now would be a good time to go check it out for a month if you are not a fan of Songkran.

Such a tolerant country.

They slowly occupied Kosovo by raping Serbian women and procreating. Then Serbs revolted and got bombed by NATO. Now NATO countries can enjoy all the cultural enrichers that come by the boatload. 

Yea.... I suggest you go to Albania.

Enjoy.

• Sad 1

The word 'Albanians' in the UK essentially means violent criminal gangs. That's one of the reasons the government stopped Albanian migration to the UK. 

That doesn't fill me with confidence that Albania would be a nice place to live. 

I actually hadn't realised they were mostly Muslims. Figures...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The word 'Albanians' in the UK essentially means violent criminal gangs. That's one of the reasons the government stopped Albanian migration to the UK. 

That doesn't fill me with confidence that Albania would be a nice place to live. 

I actually hadn't realised they were mostly Muslims. Figures...

So far the information I have is that Tirana is a safe place to live.

Often long standing reputations about places becomes dated.

Safety and security - Albania travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Crime

Public security is generally good, particularly in Tirana, and Albanians are very hospitable to visitors. Crime and violence does happen in some areas, but reports of crime targeting foreigners are rare. There have been occasional shootings and small explosions related to internal disputes over criminal, business or political interests.

As this topic is targetted specifically to Americans, compare to the baseline of crime there and it definitely doesn't sound bad at all. 

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:24 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

For those who may want some decent (very basic/boring) Chinese, without going to China, here a few recipes to drool over.  Vid, as always, is more about cooking technique 👍

DISCLAIMER:  probably voted by non Chinese from the take out circuit.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I found out if you enter on the one year visa free Americans only thing that you can't renew with a visa run. But you can start over by staying away three months. That might work for some people who like to mix things up. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 3/30/2024 at 8:11 AM, Jingthing said:

Yeah if you can find the docs you can get Italian citizenship.

If you're serious maybe an Italian immigration lawyer could help find another way to prove it. 

Albania has a citizenship by descent option as well. 

Anecdotal but one of my best friends growing up moved to Rome because of his father's Italian background. I had a chance to visit him at age 15 and see how he had become a Euro trash boy. Unfortunately later his mother was found dead in the Tiber river and his father was charged with murder. Go figure. 

Italy does have a dark side. Mafia is still going strong there. 

I wouldn't necessarily stay in Italy if I was able to get that passport. You can live anywhere in the EU. 

Also check out Vagabond Awake channel. He interviews expats living abroad.

This guy is in Sri Lanka. Cost of living is way lower than Thailand, it seems.

Jared Kushner is coming to Albania. I would expect the cost of expat living to go up.

Kushner's plans, which locals call the "Trump villas", are already making waves.

Real estate agent Flori Brahimaj said prices for apartments with a potential view over the planned project site have already shot up between 100-200 euros per square metre.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/jared-kushners-planned-albania-resort-stokes-fear-and-hope-in-coastal-town?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-organic&utm_keyword=dlvr.it

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

Well for real estate investors it's no.secret that there are some incredible opportunities on the Albanian riviera. Some of the most beautiful coastline in the world.