I am going Full Bore, Full Steam Ahead, teaching on Linux, on my new box!

GammaGlobulin

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Perhaps.

But, in the end, Microsoft knows what you are doing.

And then, it comes back to bite you.

[...]

Why should we be slaves to some lousy software company?

No, it will never come back to bite you, because the license is not pirated. It's most probably a disused OEM license from the EU market where reselling transferable licenses is a right that nobody can take from people.

Microsoft is also one of the most straightforward and fair software companies I know when it comes to software licenses, especially for private persons. Their strategy has always been to be lax with private persons/ personal use because they want to hook as many people as possible to their product, as they will then also use it at their company.

And while Microsoft had some weak moments, such as Win Vista, sigh... it certainly isn't lousy.

Windows can just do so much more things for versatile power users such as myself that it's a no brainer to choose it as a personal OS.

I like Linux, I use it on my file/media server, on my webservers, and I would also use Linux for basic office environment tasks, but not for my personal computer, because I want to do more with it.

Ideally, I could imagine going dual boot to be able to use something like docker, NPM tools, compilers, etc. but current adequate laptops are rather pricey.

Edited by tgw

11 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Ask nicely and I will.

Why bother? The new PC may just be imaginary or a wind up. If he wants to use Linux, he could just install it on his old computer and it'll probably run like new.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1