That damned Microsoft Edge

I am sick and tired of uninstalling microsoft edge and its webpage viewer every one or two weeks. I tried all the workarounds to cancel installation and nothing works. i will not do like gammaglobula and change to ubuntu or linux... or mac so ... does anyone have a working fail safe way to stop installation? I went in regedit and didnt work... i tried everything i could find ... nada...

lemme know...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

entirely your prerogative. sorry i will not do the same as you. it runs in the task manager gobbliing cpu and ram etc... to each his own ... 

Less than Chrome?

Google Chrome vs. Microsoft Edge: Which Is the Best Windows 11 Browser? (makeuseof.com)

PS! I know the OP now states he is using win 10 not 11 but the results are similar!

its not really recommended but if you wanna  
here goes

1. **Right-Click Method:**
   - Right-click on the start menu.
   - Choose "PowerShell As Admin" (for Windows 10) or "Windows Terminal As Admin" (for Windows 11).

2. **Search and Launch Method:**
   - Press the Windows key.
   - Type "PowerShell" or "Terminal" (for Windows 11).
   - Press `Ctrl + Shift + Enter` to launch it with administrator privileges.

### Launch Command

#### Simple way

copy paste this line in power shell..........
iwr -useb https://christitus.com/win | iex

whats going to happen is it will open a tweak online program totally safe

you have two options for EDGE you cn just uninstall OR go to the TWEAKS page and totally remove it
but this gives you a lot of options
installs other software for you give it a go have a look
it will open this

tweaks.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Less than Chrome?

chrome is a hog, agreed. no use having 2 run at the same time. anyways this was not the intended discussion when i started the post. will try your suggestion tomorrow

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Serenity_Now said:

the program line i gave you can batch install any browser or uninstall

then there is the tweaks tab where you can disable stuff

its a legit program easy to use from this guy 

https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisTitusTech

thanks. i just re-uninstalled it fir the 1000th time today with i-obit uninstaller pro. will try first option on this post 1st, and if that dont work i will try your option next. i have a few computers and laptops in the house and whatever works best will stick.   cheers

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

will give it a try... 4got to say that i am using windows 10. usually 11 workaround works on 10. will try but wont cross my fingers. thx

I also have Win 10 and had nuked it from my original install but it came back in one of the updates last year.

I then used these links (and others) and the first time it came back with the next update but not the February update. I have yet to install the March update.....

https://www.cloudwards.net/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge/

https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge

However my install is registered to UK so I may be lucky as a recent EU ruling means I may have some respite -

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2057385/windows-will-stop-forcing-edge-on-users-but-only-in-europe.html

41 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

you say you know electrics... stick to that if you cannot contribute here. your sarcasm is not welcome and judging by your post i doubt you have any knowledge about computers. 

I work with computers since DOS 3.3. I was an official beta tester of Windows 3.1. And I still make money mostly with programming.

I never had the desire to remove any program inside Windows. What's the point? Save a little "disk" space?

No professional does s@$# like that.

Just don't use any program you don't like. Problem solved. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Or Calculator.

Yes I removed that along with others.............I don't even think about it as had to check as it was a couple of years ago............:biggrin:

• Agree 1

To avoid edge opening all the time try installing msEdgeRedirect. Every time something tries to open in edge it instead opens in your default browser. Now you do not have to uninstall edge, it is, instead, just ignored.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I never had the desire to remove any program inside Windows. What's the point? Save a little "disk" space?

No professional does s@$# like that.

Just don't use any program you don't like. Problem solved. 

I'd be more curious how much network bandwidth Edge is using to phone home with my personal data, even when I don't invoke it by clicking the icon. Not that I don't have enough disk space, RAM, CPU, and bandwidth.  More that I care about privacy.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'd be more curious how much network bandwidth Edge is using to phone home with my personal data, even when I don't invoke it by clicking the icon. Not that I don't have enough disk space, RAM, CPU, and bandwidth.  More that I care about privacy.

Ok, privacy is an important point.

So, what else do you do?

Remove all other browsers - in case you installed any of them?

Disable Windows updates?

Don't use any programs which connect to the internet at least from time to time?

The only way I see to guarantee your privacy with a modern PC is to disconnect it from any network.

And I guess that is not what you want to do.

A long time ago I used Wireshark to analyze network traffic. It's worse than the needle in the haystack to find something.

wireshark.jpg

52 minutes ago, impulse said:

totally agree... 🤍

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So, what else do you do?

Disable Windows updates?

Don't use any programs which connect to the internet at least from time to time?

The only way I see to guarantee your privacy with a modern PC is to disconnect it from any network.

And I guess that is not what you want to do.

YOU are the one taking this op off topic. stop trolling. 

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So, what else do you do?

Disable Windows updates?

For starters, if MS Edge is showing a bunch of interweb traffic when I haven't actually opened it by clicking the icon, I'd want to delete it and its ability to phone home.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I am sick and tired of uninstalling microsoft edge a

Dude. Microsoft Edge is a part of the Windows operating system. It's the default web browser that comes pre-installed on Windows 10 and 11. While it's possible to remove Edge from Windows using methods like PowerShell or third-party uninstallers, doing so is generally not recommended, as it can cause system instability and may affect other Windows features that rely on Edge's underlying technology. That said, you can choose to use a different browser as your default, and you can also disable Edge from running in the background or showing up in the Start menu if you prefer not to use it. To summarize, Microsoft Edge is an integrated part of Windows, and removing it entirely can have unintended consequences. However, you can choose to use a different browser and minimize Edge's presence on your system if you prefer.

EDGE is actually a good browser.

It is fast, very RFC-compatible and way less resource hungry than Chrome, as well as way less intrusive to the user's privacy than Chrome.

To support independent browsers and privacy, I suggest everyone should use Firefox.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

To summarize, Microsoft Edge is an integrated part of Windows, and removing it entirely can have unintended consequences. However, you can choose to use a different browser and minimize Edge's presence on your system if you prefer.

i have been regularly removing it for over a year now with absolutely NO ISSUES. there have been lawsuits in the west against microsoft concerning edge and internet explorer for years now. microsoft is forcing edge on its customers. removing it, contrary to what faranguy says changes nothing and it is a personal choice. solutions please rather than trying to convince me to keep it

thank you

Edited by Pouatchee

13 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

To summarize, Microsoft Edge is an integrated part of Windows, and removing it entirely can have unintended consequences.

I wonder how much of that is scaremongering to keep people from deleting Edge because that would reduce MS revenue they make from people using Edge and (wingnut conspiracy alert) what it does in the background, sending user data that gets sold on.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1