Driving help BKK to Udon Thani

Hello.  Any tips or what to look out for?  I have a friend renting a suv from Suvarnabhumi International Airport BKK and will be driving his family to Udon Thani.  It will be her first time driving in Thailand.  She'll start out around 7:30 am.  They'll need a lunch stop and a break.  Any place that's good for a lunch stop break?

1 hour ago, ilikethai said:

Hello.  Any tips or what to look out for?  I have a friend renting a suv from Suvarnabhumi International Airport BKK and will be driving his family to Udon Thani.  It will be her first time driving in Thailand.  She'll start out around 7:30 am.  They'll need a lunch stop and a break.  Any place that's good for a lunch stop break?

His or her? They changed gender in one sentence

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ilikethai said:

It will be her first time driving in Thailand.

About 580 km for a first drive?

With breaks and stops about 9 hours.

Quite courageous.

She is Thai citizen?

Have you decided on the route?

Realistically there are two routes that join at Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat).

The "fastest" route via M9, HW 1 and M6 is fairly exhausting with dense traffic and quite boring in terms of the views.

The other route leads through Khao Yai (HW 304) which I would prefer.

Khao Yai worth a stop but too early for lunch.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's a fair distance for lunch (340 km).

To be honest Udon is dull. Go to Phanom Rung then overnight Buriram. Then Phimai next day.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty straight forward drive, from airport, hop on hwy #9, then hwy #1, then hwy # 2 to the NE / Udon Thani.  Mostly divided highway all the way, though very slow going, considering how long to get there for so few kms.

Don't know if wanting to play tourist, as it's a long drive by itself.  An overnight in PhiMai is a good idea, and peek at Khmer  ruins & museum, next day if that interest.

At about Pak Chong, may want a break, after collecting car, and negotiating traffic after few hours, before hitting the long boring part of the drive.   Some fast food places there, if a McD fan, one of the only ones on the highway.  Then a decent coffee shop there, if just something lite and get hell out of the car, or a Lotus's for the vendors there, if wanting more substance, S&P/YaYoi, etc, and all close, no U-turns involved.

image.png.003a6b8fd4ea393eccf786a187f4e2ad.png

Most PTT Park petrol station will have a food court, KFC & 7-11, along with vendors and probably a 5 Star chicken.

If needing a break in Khon Kaen area, then highly recommend Greenleaf Hydrofarm & restaurant, near KK airport, about 7 kms off main road.

Also, unless at KK during rush hour, don't bother with the KK bypass, as a lot of driving, that doesn't save any time.  Drive the speed limit as leaving north end of town, as lots of speed cameras.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

Thankyou all, especially khunla and khunbenq.  she's here to visit her Thai inlaws in Udon and Nong Khai.  I'll be helping her out taking turn driving.  She's used driving on the left lane and sitting on the right.  I didn't know thrrr are so many speed cameras nowadays.  I'll have to drive slow and hope no one tailgates us. 

We drove Korat to Udon yesterday and the traffic was horrendous. Take your time and overnight if you have to. We left at 5am therefore far less traffic to start our with.

Make sure your destination has liquor available when you arrive

Good luck

• Confused 1

On 4/3/2024 at 5:44 AM, ilikethai said:

A great Tip would be to forget the drive and get the plane.   Safer, Quicker & Safer!!

More than likely plenty of PTT stations along the route to stop at for a 7-11, amazon, KFC , and Thai food no need to go looking for a place to eat as PTT has everything to provide the driver. When I was touring around on my scooter i would always stop at a PTT station best facilities usually clean toilets and handicap if needed. The only time none were around would be really off the beaten path.

^ Exactly. You don’t plan stops for that trip. Having done that particular road trip numerous times, you stop as required at any of the many PTT stations along the way. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Start 7.30am into the daily BKK Rushhour! I would get a Breakfast first in Novotel Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, is located just a 5 Min. walk from the airport through an air-conditioned underground walkway. Then start 9am and drive to UT with stops as required. Enjoy the Trip!🚗

Edited by ujayujay

They are either brave or stupid.  That's a hell of a drive for a first timer in a country that has some of the craziest drivers on the planet.  They'll certainly get a good introduction as to just how crazy things can be on that route.

Please ask them to make a video going up the hill past the cement works, going towards Muak Lek on Highway 2 and post it here.  Its really good fun when your hiking up that hill at 120 kph in lane 4 and an artic pulls all the way over from lane 1, straight into your path.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Nemises said:

^ Exactly. You don’t plan stops for that trip. Having done that particular road trip numerous times, you stop as required at any of the many PTT stations along the way. 

Can't beat those PTT stops with Nescafe at 15 baht.

• Agree 1

No need to worry about stops there are plenty of places along the highway1 and highway2 to rest and eat refuel.

Just stop when you need to.

Edited by Andycoops
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Andycoops said:

No need to worry about stops there are plenty of places along the highway1 and highway2 to rest and eat refuel.

Just stop when you need to.

You leave Highway 1 just over an hour from Suvarnabhumi. If you're going to stop on Highway 1, with stops of that frequency its going to take an awful long time to get to Udon.

OP, when are they planning to do this journey by the way?  As of Thursday/Friday Highway 1 and Mitraphap (Highway 2) will pretty much be a car park due to the Songkran Exodus from Bangkok.  I once made the mistake of arriving at the airport on New Year's Eve (much the same as Songkran traffic wise).  My journey to Khao Yai took me 9.5 hours instead of the usual 2 to 2.5.

Edited by MangoKorat