“Kaeng tai pla” rated the worst dish in the world by TasteAtlas

snoop1130

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Haven't been to Mexico, huh?

I've lived there, Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara. It was Mexicans that informed me of the Tex-Mex issue. Maybe you should go over and correct them , huh? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Walker88 said:

LOL

I knew a Brit would take exception to AN INTERNATIONAL POLL.

It wasn't me. I didn't get asked. It was people from around the world who said the UK has the World's Worst Cuisine.

Must be a lot of ignoramuses out there, eh?

The people have spoken.

*The ignoramus have spoken. 

Fixed it for you. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, theblether said:

that's how I feel about Chitlins. 33 years later and I'm still scarred.  

I had a friend from Arkansas and she told me exactly how chitlins were made.  I had a "stomach ache" for a week just thinking about it.  ugh.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

has been rated the worst dish in the world,

I am not surprised:- 

" fermented fish entrails and a spicy curry paste, consisting of chili peppers" 

I hate chilli peppers and always have to tell the waiting staff "mai pedt krap"!

I'd say there are more disgusting examples of Thai food, mostly involving chicken feet, duck lips and varieties of offal and entrails.  Not to mention the ubiquitous 'pla-rah' and other horrors.   Probably one of the most over-rated cuisines in the world, unless you stick to the delicious touristy stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Thai PM hooked on Kaeng Tai Pla despite TasteAtlas critique

2012-2024-04-04T145225.png

Kaeng Tai Pla may not have tickled the taste buds of international food critics on the TasteAtlas platform but it still won the hearts of the Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin and many locals in Thailand. Surprisingly, its title as the world’s worst food sparked a surge in sales of the dish, particularly in Thailand’s southern provinces, proving that even in the culinary world, there’s no such thing as bad publicity.

Food guide platform TasteAtlas launched its 100 Worst Rated Foods in the World and listed Kaeng Tai Pla, or fish entrails sour curry, as the worst dish in the world.

PM Srettha expressed his opinion on the ranking in an interview with several media outlets today, April 4, saying food preferences are subjective and everyone has the right to critique each dish. Despite this, he said personally loved it but respected to opinions of others.

The 62 year old Thai prime minister acknowledged that Kaeng Tai Pla might be too spicy and possess a strong aroma that is not favoured or familiar to foreigners. These factors have contributed to the dish being classified as the worst food in the world.

PM Srettha pointed out that while Kaeng Tai Pla may not appeal to foreigners, several other Thai dishes have earned top spots in various rankings, such as massaman curry, kanom krok, tom yum, pad thai, and phad kaprao.

The Thai PM also mentioned that the National Soft Power Strategy Committee continues its efforts to promote Thai cuisine internationally but admits that certain Thai dishes may not resonate with global food lovers.

Sales soar in south

Aside from the support by the PM, other Thai people also came forward to support their beloved dish, causing its sales to soar and making the worst food for foreigners but best dish for locals in Thailand.

One popular restaurant in the southern province of Satun, Nong Beer Reatuarant, reported receiving over 40 orders of Kaeng Tai Pla this morning, April 4.

Restaurant owner Orragee Thachaphan made known to media outlets that foreigners may not be familiar with the dish and might consume it differently, similar to how they approach cream soup. However, the dish is best enjoyed with rice, vegetables, and other dishes with sweet notes, such as red braised pork belly, known as Moo Hong.

Despite its ranking, Orragee is confident that Kaeng Tai Pla will always remain a favorite among locals.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Facebook/ เศรษฐา ทวีสิน - Srettha Thavisin and ThaiRath

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'd say there are more disgusting examples of Thai food, mostly involving chicken feet, duck lips and varieties of offal and entrails.  Not to mention the ubiquitous 'pla-rah' and other horrors.   Probably one of the most over-rated cuisines in the world, unless you stick to the delicious touristy stuff.

Had a photo of the wife........ as a kid......tucking into a rat on a stick.

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Had a photo of the wife........ as a kid......tucking into a rat on a stick.

I still see it now but the one that repulses me are the frogs on a stick. Even worse, deep fried whole frog, with the oil seeping out across the plate. Horrendous. 

I have had rat on a stick its like chicken or rabbit but its not sewer rats . They  are field rats that gobble rice etc so I have watched  my wifes family set bamboo traps in the dykes to catch the critters and snakes to eat  also tasty

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/3/2024 at 6:38 AM, Chetzee said:

surprisingly the nam Prik at 7/11 is really good and low level gapi ....  worth trying ..... often !!  

Somebody said "once you get past the smell you have it licked", maybe they were talking about something else?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

If you want gross food , go to phillipines, china, Africa , even some parts of Europe , but some stuff Thais eat is disgusting

Philippines has some great food, and some iffy stuff... just like Thailand.

as the saying goes " one mans food is another mans poison"

So the leader of the country saw or heard about the news of this particular foods ratings worldwide and ventured out for a photo op showing he ordered it. Although, from the looks of the photo he never actually ate it. Just an opportunity to convince people it was ok to eat by him. Only in Thailand would the leader be so concerned about such a small thing as one type of food other people reported as being so bad. Is his life so empty or his fear of losing tourists for that one report so bad that he has time to do this?

Although, I have never tried this dish and never will, my wife raves about it but says its only good if there are veggies in it also. 

I wonder what would happen if a report came out that the spaghetti dish in Italy was the worst in the world? Do you think the leader would be worried enough to make a show like this? 

• Agree 1

The worst thing in the world is anything you used to eat 10 years ago by itself but now has to be served with a god-damn egg on it for some reason. Like a hamburger with a fried egg. 

When did this madness start?