“Kaeng tai pla” rated the worst dish in the world by TasteAtlas

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The website described the dish as being a thick and aromatic fish curry, prepared with fermented fish entrails and a spicy curry paste, consisting of chili peppers, galangal, shrimp paste, turmeric, shallots, and lemongrass.

don't forget the 2 heaping spoons of sugar.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I do hear what you're saying. I was the same in regards to blue cheese. Hated the smell of it but once I got over it, then began to enjoy the flavor. 

I really like blue cheese now. 

It's gonna take some time for fermented fish tho... Maybe I'll be dead before that happens.  Probably just as well! 

surprisingly the nam Prik at 7/11 is really good and low level gapi ....  worth trying ..... often !!  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I do hear what you're saying. I was the same in regards to blue cheese. Hated the smell of it but once I got over it, then began to enjoy the flavor. 

I really like blue cheese now. 

It's gonna take some time for fermented fish tho... Maybe I'll be dead before that happens.  Probably just as well! 

I agree with this. Some foods such as venison, game birds, blue cheese etc have a brief period where their taste and your palette collide. The same goes with fermented fish, there's some I can tolerate and others are culinary catastrophes - the type of tase once it enters your mouth it never leaves your mind. For American members, that's how I feel about Chitlins. 33 years later and I'm still scarred.  

• Haha 1

Isn't fish sauce which is in the majority of Thai dishes made from fermented fish?

I like the very yellow southern Thai curry with chunks of fish and sour bamboo shoots?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

It's actually quite tasty if you're able to eat real Thai foods. Pad sator is another great southern dish.

image.jpeg.312380fc02e627d365b6e3623d629767.jpeg

Great dish but those stinky beans stay with you long time.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, theblether said:

Only an ignoramus who hasn't travelled the length of themselves believes UK food is the worst in the world. In a straight culinary fight of top class chefs using the best ingredients I'd group the following ten as the best - not in order. 

UK, USA, Australia, China, France, Italy, India, Thailand, Greece, Portugal - special mention, Japan

Most overrated - Morocco, Mexico, Thai street food 

Mexican food confuses people. A lot of times they think they are eating Mexican when its actually Tex-Mex, which is American. And the Mexicans need to apologize for the avocado craze, what a catastrophe, all those bearded halfwits wandering around comparing avocado toast recipes. 

ps - most important PEOPLE'S as a n originator of the food that developed to feed the world? Easily Native Americans. 

LOL

I knew a Brit would take exception to AN INTERNATIONAL POLL.

It wasn't me. I didn't get asked. It was people from around the world who said the UK has the World's Worst Cuisine.

Must be a lot of ignoramuses out there, eh?

The people have spoken.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

It's actually quite tasty if you're able to eat real Thai foods. Pad sator is another great southern dish.

image.jpeg.312380fc02e627d365b6e3623d629767.jpeg

Define "real Thai Foods"... Because I can assure you even "Thai tastes" aren't universal (in fact, no country or cuisine has "universal tastes"). If you're going to claim Som Tam with crab or fermented fish is "real Thai food" - meh, yeah it is, but so is "Som Tam Thai" - which has neither crab nor fermented fish.

Also, Mark is the last person to take food advice from - he says everything is amazing, and phenomenal, even when it isn't. Just hypes whatever he can shovel into his gullet for likes and views.

Edited by Aviatorhi
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, theblether said:

Only an ignoramus who hasn't travelled the length of themselves believes UK food is the worst in the world. In a straight culinary fight of top class chefs using the best ingredients I'd group the following ten as the best - not in order. 

UK, USA, Australia, China, France, Italy, India, Thailand, Greece, Portugal - special mention, Japan

Most overrated - Morocco, Mexico, Thai street food 

Mexican food confuses people. A lot of times they think they are eating Mexican when its actually Tex-Mex, which is American. And the Mexicans need to apologize for the avocado craze, what a catastrophe, all those bearded halfwits wandering around comparing avocado toast recipes. 

ps - most important PEOPLE'S as a n originator of the food that developed to feed the world? Easily Native Americans. 

Haven't been to Mexico, huh?

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Haven't been to Mexico, huh?

With such an insane statement I suspect he hasn't been past a local restaurant known as "Thai Street Food" 1 km from his block house, or his trailer down by the river.

Edited by Aviatorhi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, impulse said:

There's an evolutionary reason some stuff tastes nasty.  Ignore it at your peril.

A lot of truth in that statement.. if it smells nasty give it a miss, so many better things to eat

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Fermented fish is a taste I will never acquire.  I don't feel I've missed anything. If I was so inclined, I could always travel to Iceland and dine on fermented shark meat, which smells like the end of the world.

Another poster noted liver flukes...that is in Pla Rah, a dish common in Isaan.

One odd thing about Thailand is that personal things are shared that nobody back home would share except with the closest of friends. My female staff will always tell me when it's "Lady Day". They also will tell me when they are having bathroom troubles. About 50% of the time they eat Seafood Som Tam, the next day they tell me they have diarrhea. They still eat it.

The waters around Thailand are dirty. The seafood is not handled properly. The chance one gets a bad stomach or worse from Thai seafood is high. There's also the industrial chemicals, which have long term effects. When local women get diarrhea 50% of the time, that's enough for me to pass on most, if not all, local seafood. Others can knock themselves silly enjoying it; not for me.

One aside, since this thread notes a "Worst".....an international poll was taken about 10 years ago, which I remember reading. It asked people around the world which country has the worst cuisine. The top (bottom) 3 were:

1) UK

2) Russia

3) Philippines

Don't shoot the messenger.

you pass on most if not all seafood .......  more fool you I say .......  I eat it every day ..... from raw to crisp fried ....... 

As for Uk cuisine ..... that would rather depend on where you eat ...... urban high street ... awful ........ or rural retreat .... think pan fried Woodcock with Chantrells ..... some of the best Game in the world , to say nothing of the common wood pigeon lightly smoked and carved thin with a salad ......    Wild Sea trout ... the list is endless really if you know where to look ... or have deep pockets . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, theblether said:

Got to be honest, a lot of Thai food is off-the-scale dreadful. All these breathless-in-wonder vloggers spouting utter drivel about how good the street food is do my head in. No sane person travels 10,000 km to eat entrails on a stick, reconstituted cancer-causing chicken and pork balls, deep fried cr*p, diabetic-coma inducing sugar dished, washed down with gallons of msg. The fried chicken is spew-worthy, they can't even fry an egg with cremating the thing - the list goes on. 

Now, to be fair, restaurant quality Thai food can be different class - but the street food> Dear me, give it a rest. 

Agree totally.  Some Thai foods should be classed as contraceptives; necessitating different beds or a cheap single room in a nearby hotel.  Many a girl has gone without my company when I get a whiff of her two-day-old Somtam.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Agree totally.  Some Thai foods should be classed as contraceptives; necessitating different beds or a cheap single room in a nearby hotel.  Many a girl has gone without my company when I get a whiff of her two-day-old Somtam.

Tell her to go and wash her genitals! 

• Sad 1

Taste Asia : A bunch of idiots with a taste buds as sophisticated as a two year old fed exclusively on milk formula 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1