Bringing Diazepam 2 mg and Paracetamol 500mg /Codeine 30mg thru Immigation

Any issues bringing diazepam 2 mg and paracetamol 500mg /codeine 30mg thru Immigration?

Any limitations on quantity and is prescription/letter from western prescribing doctor required?

Is it difficult to get these locally in Thailand?

Edited by LosLobo

3 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Any issues bringing diazepam 2 mg and paracetamol 500mg /codeine 30mg thru Immigration?

Any limitations on quantity and is prescription/letter from western prescribing doctor required?

Is it difficult to get these locally in Thailand?

This might give a clue: 

The OP doesn't state how he/she will be arriving in Thailand.  One should be extremely concerned if transiting through a Muslim country such as Dubai or Saudi Arabia.  The codeine would definitely be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Whilst @Sherylis 100% correct it all depends on you. I am prescribed from my UK doctor 200 paracetamol and Codeine 500/30mg. I regularly bring 7 months supply into Thailand, I have been doing this for over 10 years. Not once have I been questioned on entry. I carry my monthly prescription with me. Customs at Suvarnabhumi airport very rarely scan or even rarer search anyone's luggage. When they do its normally a Thai person and they are looking for designer goods.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, jimn said:

Whilst @Sherylis 100% correct it all depends on you. I am prescribed from my UK doctor 200 paracetamol and Codeine 500/30mg. I regularly bring 7 months supply into Thailand, I have been doing this for over 10 years. Not once have I been questioned on entry. I carry my monthly prescription with me. Customs at Suvarnabhumi airport very rarely scan or even rarer search anyone's luggage. When they do its normally a Thai person and they are looking for designer goods.

Obviously if not checked (usually the case), no issue but OP may not want to risk that. At best, the meds would be altogether confiscated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is just my experience. I have been bringing in meds, 6 month's supply, twice a year for over ten years. Carry on, never have checked baggage. Have never been stopped or asked  anything. In my opinion you could bring in a corpse, as long as you don't declare it !

On 4/4/2024 at 9:25 PM, Sheryl said:

For diazepam just needs to be in labelled prescription bottle. But the limit is 30 day supply. 

For para/codeine, due to the codeine, you need a narcotic import permit from the FDA . Not as hard to get as it may sound. https://permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th/nct_permit_main/

The quantity  limit is for this is  90 day supply.

While both drugs are available in Thailand, only from a hospital as both diazepam and codeine are controlled drugs here. Doctors can be reluctant to prescribe, esp the codeine.

I suggest you bring with you a doctor's letter stating these have been prescribed and why. 

every pharmacy has Diazepam ( Valium) 2, 5, 10 mgs
1 10 mgs cost an average of 10 baht

10 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Perhaps some pharmacies where you are. But it is illegal for this to be sold over the counter (and enforced) and most pharmacies definitely do not.

11 hours ago, zzzzz said:

These pharmacy's often sell UGL underground illegal laboratoriums produced steroids as well. Not vise to buy illegal fake substances 

Edited by Hummin

On 4/5/2024 at 3:52 PM, zzzzz said:

i asked at about 10 different pharmacies in thailand from big to mom and pop til i found one that sold Diazepam with no prescriptons but they were more like 50 baht each.

3 hours ago, pomchop said:

i asked at about 10 different pharmacies in thailand from big to mom and pop til i found one that sold Diazepam with no prescriptons but they were more like 50 baht each.

i have brought from 2 dif Pharmacies in Phuket, ( they were NOT fake)  never paid more than 10 baht
many times then wont sell to tourists
BUT 
stopped since i can buy a box of 40 in Cambodian, for under $4

Edited by zzzzz

Bring a doctor's letter from your home country and make sure the medicine has the script label and/or copy of prescription.  

In Oz, I get them from my doctor (docs here are free at bulk billing centres) .  About $9 (AUD) or about 215 Baht for x50 tablets in Oz.  In Thailand the Diazepam tablets are around 15 to 20 Baht each at a doctor's clinic!!!  Hospitals likely a lot more, plus you have to pay a consultation fee to the doctor.  Just saying.  

Edited by aussienam

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

i have brought from 2 dif Pharmacies in Phuket, ( they were NOT fake)  never paid more than 10 baht
many times then wont sell to tourists
BUT 
stopped since i can buy a box of 40 in Cambodian, for under $4

How do you know they where not fake? Which pharmacy's carry legal prescription medicines suchas diazepam? 

Do you smuggling back from cambodia, or do you have prescription?

At hospitals, you pay high price, but you know for sure you get what you pay for. 

On 4/7/2024 at 8:24 AM, Deserted said:

You should cover yourself with a letter from the hospital and doctor.

That is fine for the diazepam but will not suffice for the codeine, that is  classed as a narcotic so  requires FDA import license (easily obtained)

Diazepam, or similar,  can be bought at some pharmacies.  You would need to ask around, possible asking some of the younger people, about the diazepam.   No pharmacies' will sell you codeine but there some clinics that have it.  My Thai lady was given a smaller amount of codeine pills when she  did her breast implants.  Another option for the codeine is to buy some poppy seeds at Friendship market in Pattaya.  Easy to make the tea  and Google can show you how.  You need to VERY careful as you sip the tea  as it contains both codeine and morphine.  Highly addictive as you might imagine.  You will have all the usual side effects of codeine and morphine. Poppy seeds are expensive.