Where to get USA coins in Bangkok?

ibjoe

Hi all. My Thai wife wants some USA coins for a ceremony. Any suggestions where I can get these in Bangkok? A few rolls of Quarters, Nickles, Dollar coins, etc would be good. I know local money changers will have a few, but for larger quantities? Thank you.

If I were you, I would just go to the BKK airports, and ask anyone that appears to be an American,...

For spare change.

Most Americans will be happy to provide you with any USA coins in their pockets.

But, if your Thai wife is hoping for any special American coins, then this might not work.

Who knows...

Someone might even give you a Buffalo Nickel....

image.png.016097b957948c34bc912ad464e05ca1.png

I used to collect these when I was very young, and when they were  still in circulation.

You might also ask for a silver dollar, too....

image.png.bb2bd82f24eade672664635ccba03a0b.png

I also collected these Liberty silver dollars when they were in circulation, a long time ago.

I would say that the more recent American coinage is of little interest.

There is no doubt that you can buy American coins for cheap, in BKK, if the coins are of low quality, and not in mint condition.

Or, maybe you can check Amazon.

Amazon has rolls of coins, probably.

Or, Ebay.

image.png.f63bcaefc6d6d3396fbc0ee3618bd07d.png

So, as you can see, the much cheaper way is to just go the BKK airport, and ask a few Americans for spare change:

Americans are used to being asked for money from almost anyone on the street in America....

If I were you, I would go to the BKK airport, and hold a large sign in my hand which states:

"I WILL PAY YOU DOUBLE THE EXCHANGE-RATE FOR ANY and ALL AMERICAN COINS"

Just take a very large bucket with you.

My guess is that, within a 24 hour period, you will be able to fill up you bucket.

If one bucket of American Coinage is not sufficient, ....

Then just go back the next day.

You will be able to get over a ton of American coins within one month, is my guess.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If I were you, I would just go to the BKK airports, and ask anyone that appears to be an American,...

For spare change.

Most Americans will be happy to provide you with any USA coins in their pockets.

But, if your Thai wife is hoping for any special American coins, then this might not work.

Who knows...

Someone might even give you a Buffalo Nickel....

Thanks. I used to collect coins too, when I was a child. They are gone now.. I have a bucket full of loose change in the states, that doesn't help now. I will try to convince her that Thai coins are sufficient..

10 hours ago, marty147 said:

Do they have to be American coins?

I have a large selection from numerous countries that I use when teaching.

I'm sure I could spare a few.

Thank you @marty147 ! That is kind of you to offer! 😊 We are actually flying out of Bangkok this morning, back to Ubon Ratchitani / Yasothon, so connecting might be difficult. I think I am successful in convincing my wife to use Thai coins, which are readily available! So, no longer an issue...

Good job that you managed to convince a Thai woman to change her mind.  😄

I'm actually not a million miles away here in Roi Et so if your needs change, i can chuck a few coins in the mail.

15 hours ago, marty147 said:

Good job that you managed to convince a Thai woman to change her mind.  😄

I'm actually not a million miles away here in Roi Et so if your needs change, i can chuck a few coins in the mail.

She is actually very reasonable with me, we may disagree sometimes but are always very calm with each other and resolve issues amicably.

You are in province "next door" to us! Cool.. Well, actually it is quite hot here now, 40+ C 😆🥵

Thank you again for the offer!