Frozen Shoulder (adhesive capsulitis)

About 25 years ago I developed a frozen shoulder on my left side. Luckily I had it treated by a surgeon, as second opinion after a doctor who had given two steroid injections recommended surgery. I second opinion, who was the shoulder surgeon for the US Olympic team, fixed it up magically with a steroid injection that looked like it was for a horse It was 35 mls. I commented on the size of the injection (a combination of steroid plus stent medium and long term anaesthetics) and he told me that the normal shoulder takes 25mls without discomfort and what he wanted to do was to build up pressure in the shoulder joint too break the adhesion apart. I walk out of his office pain free for the first time in about 3 years and never had even a twinge of pain for about 23 years. 

Unfortunately I am also a diabetic and the frozen shoulder has recurred and I cannot now lay on my left side, and the pain wakes me up when I shift side when I am asleep. My previous experience with the frozen shoulder means that I really want to repeat the experience with the mega injection and now bother with any small 5 ml injections, manipulations, surgeries and the like.

I have read about hydo-dilation as a superior treatment to conventional treatments in diabetics on the Harvard Medial website. Does anyone have experience with treatments for frozen shoulder or any knowledge of where I can get a non surgical mega injection into my shoulder?   

Hot press pressure point 'massage' worked on mine, the pain was in my right shoulder, unable to even raise my arm, or grasp anything, she started on my left foot, when she pressed a pressure point on my foot a pain came from my shoulder, it took several sessions, but she 'cured' it.  just to say it hurts but works.

It was brought on by a side effect from TB medication. (rheumatoid arthritis).

good luck.

• Thanks 1

I a similar problem and had steroid injections that would last long. And then it got shorter and shorter and change my Ram hospital. There’s an exit orthopedic doctor I highly recommend I operation on my shoulder back in July and I am free of all pain in my shoulder now, his name sounds like Dr.Preechop I highly recommend him. He’s an excellent doctor TIT.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, retarius said:

About 25 years ago I developed a frozen shoulder on my left side. Luckily I had it treated by a surgeon, as second opinion after a doctor who had given two steroid injections recommended surgery. I second opinion, who was the shoulder surgeon for the US Olympic team, fixed it up magically with a steroid injection that looked like it was for a horse It was 35 mls. I commented on the size of the injection (a combination of steroid plus stent medium and long term anaesthetics) and he told me that the normal shoulder takes 25mls without discomfort and what he wanted to do was to build up pressure in the shoulder joint too break the adhesion apart. I walk out of his office pain free for the first time in about 3 years and never had even a twinge of pain for about 23 years. 

Unfortunately I am also a diabetic and the frozen shoulder has recurred and I cannot now lay on my left side, and the pain wakes me up when I shift side when I am asleep. My previous experience with the frozen shoulder means that I really want to repeat the experience with the mega injection and now bother with any small 5 ml injections, manipulations, surgeries and the like.

I have read about hydo-dilation as a superior treatment to conventional treatments in diabetics on the Harvard Medial website. Does anyone have experience with treatments for frozen shoulder or any knowledge of where I can get a non surgical mega injection into my shoulder?   

I suppose you didn't do much exercise the past years? It's not only good for your shoulder but also for your diabetes.

Concerning your frozen shoulder a good chiropractor might help. Or even accupuncture. But of course you have to discuss this with your GP. Don't trust online advisers.🙏

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

I a similar problem and had steroid injections that would last long. And then it got shorter and shorter and change my Ram hospital. There’s an exit orthopedic doctor I highly recommend I operation on my shoulder back in July and I am free of all pain in my shoulder now, his name sounds like Dr.Preechop I highly recommend him. He’s an excellent doctor TIT.

Thanks for the response....but I don't understand 

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

and change my Ram hospital.

I don't understand this part? Why hospital does Dr Preechop operate at?

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I suppose you didn't do much exercise the past years? It's not only good for your shoulder but also for your diabetes.

Concerning your frozen shoulder a good chiropractor might help. Or even accupuncture. But of course you have to discuss this with your GP. Don't trust online advisers.🙏

Actually no, I was a very regular exerciser up until about 2 years ago, gym, treadmill and weights every day. Two years ago I developed profound fatigue, I suspect the COVID vaccine, but doctors are not listening to me. I have started to recover and hence my interest in treating my shoulder. It has had a twinge for some time but developed into a problem recently. When one gets old, one wakes up with a new condition every morning it seems.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, retarius said:

Actually no, I was a very regular exerciser up until about 2 years ago, gym, treadmill and weights every day. Two years ago I developed profound fatigue, I suspect the COVID vaccine, but doctors are not listening to me. I have started to recover and hence my interest in treating my shoulder. It has had a twinge for some time but developed into a problem recently. When one gets old, one wakes up with a new condition every morning it seems.

Not only you😂

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, retarius said:

Some time ago I found a British Chiropractor in Chiangmai/Bangkok.

His name's Dr. Philip Parry.

Chiropractor.com

He helped me with my neck pain miraculously.

Hmm, I got recommended physical therapy first before trying any injections. My physical therapist said it would be very unlikely to get frozen shoulder a second time. Nuts.

There are a lot of exercises listed on Youtube for frozen shoulder. It is something to try in the meantime. My pain has lessened but the limited range of motion is still there for me.

https://youtu.be/DzSwJHdP8ek?si=z1XR-6tbeyuUrNCs

Edited by zakalwe

I went to Bamrungrad with a frozen shoulder about 13 years ago for a second opinion after another hospital in Bangkok recommended 10,000 USD surgery. Bamrungrad recommended physio only and after about 6 weeks it was all cleared up. The pain came back about 2 years later in my other shoulder, and I just repeated the physio I had learned before at Bamrungrad and fixed myself. It has been 10 years free of shoulder pain ever since until now. There are YouTube videos on how to treat yourself as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, retarius said:

I'm following this with interest and want to share a personal experience. 

Having had a frozen Left shoulder that lasted almost 18 months before it went away (no treatment), only to then find that my Right shoulder started to go the same way, having avoided medication first time around and after consulting with Google, I started taking Ibuprofen and it became ok, not perfect but not as bad as my previous experience of frozen shoulder. I continued taking Ibuprofen as more a preventative measure and did so for a number of years until I had a fairly bad accident.

Now that bad accident broke a few posterior ribs that left me with only one way to lay down in bed (couldn't sit back in a chair either) and that was I had to sleep propped by pillows with my body weight resting on my Right shoulder (and my right ear, but thats a different story), because the broken ribs were behind my Left shoulder blade they were non-aligned and for quite some time were also non-union, so it took a long time of sleeping on my bad Right shoulder until eventually my broken Left posterior ribs formed union (but still non-aligned) and I was no longer required to sleep on my bad Right shoulder. Now the positive side was that suddenly (or at some point in those 3+ months of my Right shoulder taking the pressure of my bodyweight) my Right shoulder no longer has any frozen shoulder symptoms.

I'm generally not superstitious, but I'm touching a bit of wood as I type this.

3 hours ago, retarius said:

Thanks for the response....but I don't understand 

I don't understand this part? Why hospital does Dr Preechop operate at?

I think 'change my' was supposed to be 'Chiang Mai'.  Probably got changed by spell checker without him noticing.

I had a frozen shoulder which cause me great pain when lifting my arm more than 90 degrees. I had the surgery at Bumrungrad hospital. I watched all the Youtube videos on how to solve your own shoulder problems. Waste of time. My shoulder is back to normal. I wish you the best. 

Being young and stupid wanting to show off to the girls I lifted up the end of a pool table so the balls would roll to the other end. Next morning my shoulder was locked stiff and painful so I went to the doctor. He figured he could fix it with acupuncture but I howled when he stuck the first needle in. He said that is not supposed to happen so he stopped and gave me a sleeping pill . Told me to go straight home as I would be asleep in half an hour. I slept from Monday lunchtime to Wednesday sometime. Passed out in the bathroom or so I was told and got packed back to bed. When I woke up the pain was gone but it was a couple of days before I could lift my arm above my head. Not one of my most pleasant experiences.