UK Tax Code Changes (re State Pension Increases)

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I haven't received my 'Notice of Coding' yet but what amount of increase are we talking about?

State pension up from 10k5 to 11k4 so your tax code will be down by 900 pounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Got an email from HMRC that my Tax Code for next year was available.

Had to go online to see it, looks like they are not sending a paper copy out now.

Yes, State Pension showed an increase so Tax Code changed and increased tax due from my other pension!

Spent most of the last two years getting this corrected from earlier years of increase applied, eventually getting a cheque from HMRC.

Contacting them is not easy, the complaints page has gone.

Rang HMRC three days ago, after trying for 5 times, cut off after a few minutes, and then hanging on for 1 hour 10 minutes finally spoke to someone who corrected the error.

Checked online and my Tax Code returned to normal.

I suppose I'll have to do this again next year.  

31 minutes ago, proton said:

Nothing to do with state pensions, they are still un taxed as bellow the allowance

Rubbish.

Everything is taxable.

The state pension is deducted from the personal allowance and is the residual allowance is applied to private pensions etc.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I haven't received my 'Notice of Coding' yet but what amount of increase are we talking about?

In two cases friends are paying around GBP 10 p.m. more

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

Had to go online to see it, looks like they are not sending a paper copy out now.

Yes, State Pension showed an increase so Tax Code changed and increased tax due from my other pension!

Spent most of the last two years getting this corrected from earlier years of increase applied, eventually getting a cheque from HMRC.

Rang HMRC three days ago, after trying for 5 times, cut off after a few minutes, and then hanging on for 1 hour 10 minutes finally spoke to someone who corrected the error.

There is an obvious flaw in the system that DWP cannot pick up those people with 'frozen' pensions.

• Agree 1

If you have an on-line account with HMRC it is a very simple procedure to correct the amount of state pension you're receiving. Your coding will then be amended and the appropriate tax deductor (usually another pension payer) will be informed of the change. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, proton said:

Nothing to do with state pensions, they are still un taxed as bellow the allowance

Completely wrong. It has everything to do with it. This is a perennial issue with HMRC and the state pension. I've got it sorted now, but it takes persistence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

The state pension is deducted from the personal allowance and is the residual allowance is applied to private pensions etc.

Not quite.

All income is aggregated and in a specific order.

Then applicable personal allowance is deducted.

Residual income is the taxable amount - tax code generated.

Tax code sent to private pension and collected.

State pension paid gross.

59 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If state pension hasn't gone up, as frozen, why would the code change? except in error. Assuming no other taxable income

Hmrc can't distinguish who has a frozen state pension and who doesn't. So they simply adjust your tax code by the generic % increase that DWP awarded for that year. 

Thats the likely theory, unconfirmed.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Hmrc can't distinguish who has a frozen state pension and who doesn't. So they simply adjust your tax code by the generic % increase that DWP awarded for that year. 

yep so an error, doesn't surprise me

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

yep so an error, doesn't surprise me

Not an error because its not a mistake. 

Like applying an emergency tax code when you start a new job. Incorrect, but not an error.

1 hour ago, noobexpat said:

Confirmed............

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If state pension hasn't gone up, as frozen, why would the code change? except in error. Assuming no other taxable income

Wrong assumption.............................otherwise the state pension will always be covered by tax allowance.

3 hours ago, Ginkas said:

HMRC are still sending out tax code notices by post. I got one in mid February. This was after I discovered my tax code was wrong using the HMRC app. I contacted them to sort out the issue after HMRC had "assumed" that I would receive the SP increase and adjusted my tax code to cater for that. I contacted them via their webchat and they "fixed" my tax codes for 23/24 & 24/25. I had to do this last year as well. Looks like it's going to happen every year as someone has already stated, HMRC can't tell (or don't care) who is frozen and who is not, so they assume everyone gets the rise, putting the onus on the individual to check their tax code and then if it's wrong, take steps to have it corrected.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
typo
  • Like 2

A very poor statement and should be ignored by everyone.

Rubbish.

Everyone's circumstances are different.

I only receive the basic state pension from 8 years ago.

I do not pay tax on it.

If you receive other payments then yes, you will pay tax.

• Confused 1

Not an error because its not a mistake. 

Like applying an emergency tax code when you start a new job. Incorrect, but not an error.

Yes it's an error yes it's a mistake, it isn't taking account of the frozen pension correctly

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

no not really

yes

FACT........................nobody solely on state pension will have a pension great than the individual tax allowance

Edited by hotandsticky

40 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Rubbish.

I do not pay tax on it.

It was a poor statement.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

yes

FACT........................nobody solely on state pension will have a pension great than the individual tax allowance

Incorrect, i'm afraid.

My 85 year old dads state pension is way above the personal allowance.

Just because the maximum now is £x per week ...doesn't mean it was changed retrospectively for anyone else.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes it's an error yes it's a mistake, it isn't taking account of the frozen pension correctly

Yes ...i do have some sympathy that their systems are not perfect. Nothing ever is.

For 90 something % of the people its working.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Rubbish.

I do not pay tax on it.

You do pay tax on it.

Its at 0% rate.

It is taxable income, but paid gross.

This understanding is above your pay grade. Stay in your lane!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noobexpat said:

A very poor statement and should be ignored by everyone.

State pension is less than the personal tax allowance so is not taxed, other pensions taking you over that and interest on savings over 1k a year is.

• Sad 1