Introduction to Personal Income Tax in Thailand

Message added by CharlieH,

Notice to Members:

Posts made by individuals reflect their own opinions and should not be taken as fact.

Please draw your own conclusions and consult a qualified professional before acting on any such advice or content.

11 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Yes lol but some figures do not add up but who knows still early and yes the pension figure but how you get to 193K nut mai pen rai mate thanks again for your help

on behalf of others too

TAX FILING ELLEGIBILITY 

87) “All persons earning income are required to file a tax return no later than 31 March of the following year for hard-copy filing and 8 April for on-line filing, except for individuals whose income from employment is THB 120,000 or less (for single persons) or THB 220,000 or less (for married persons) and in the case of having income from other sources (with or without employment income) of THB 60,000 or less (for single persons) or THB 120,000 or less (for married persons)”.  

Am I to understand that if the individual calculates that they owe NO tax that they do NOT have to file a return?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Ricohoc said:

Am I to understand that if the individual calculates that they owe NO tax that they do NOT have to file a return?

Thanks.

That depends on who you talk to.

Talk to a lawyer or to a poster who’s name is from the north of Thailand  and they will say you must still file a tax return 

Talk to a TRD officer (the ones who accept tax returns) or a tax consultant and and they will say “no tax due, no tax refund due, do not file a tax return”

I know who I believe. You do you TIT YMMV

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ricohoc said:

Thanks.

just reading from the thai revenue dept website, I blv it says if one has assessable income they are to obtain a Thai tax id number and fill out the tax forms and (quoting fm the RD page) pay tax if any.  Sounds to me like they want one to file even if there is no tax owed.  After that quote, the rd provides everything about income and charts for taxes , etc.  I for one will have NO ASSESSABLE income so I will not obtain a tax id number unless they change that rule and thus will not file any tax forms.  Just saying, one can easily go to the Thai revenue department website (ENGLISH) and read for themselves.   Good luck on your tax situation whatever it may be.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

There is no need to personalise this issue SWW and I strongly object to you doing so. A straight forward legitimate question was asked, a straight forward simple answer is all that's required, without the need for personal digs and commentary.

CM - if you plan on ever answering anyone or commenting on anything here, seems like there is always someone that seems offended though in about 99.9% of the cases, we are only providing our opinion on something.  I sure don't know why they get offended when you are only providing what you know or have read.  Just like this taxation subject... folks can easily google the Thai Revenu Dept website and it is in English if one desires so and they can read just what we tell them that we have read there.  I too don't understand why if one has no tax due they have to file the tax forms and some say that if one goes to a RD local office they will say you don't have to file if you owe nothing but the website does indicate a fine is possible if one doesn't file but has assessable income even though it is below the necessary minimum for filing - based on logic but TIT and we all know that means it is what the locals say it means, not what the ENGLISH says.  Take care, hopefully when the new forms come out, they will either have a place for no tax due to exemptions or below the levels necessary and a change in the RD website to make things clearer - Yes, I know I am dreaming!

• Love It 2

51 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

The TRD rules say that you must file a return, if you have income over the minimum assessible income threshold which is either 60k, 129k or 220k, based on marital status and income type, regardless of whether you owe tax or not. If you do not file a return when you should have, there are penalties that can be levied and these are draconian if tax was due.

In practise, there is no evidence that penalties are levied, that's to say we are not aware of anyone who has ever been penalised.

You must decide what you want to do in this respect.

Late edit: should read, 120k, not 129k

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

There is no need to personalise this issue SWW and I strongly object to you doing so

So indirect possible personalisation when you assume it is of you, to highlight a post made is bad!

But direct negative aspersions from yourself are OK. Hypocritical much.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So indirect possible personalisation when you assume it is of you, to highlight a post made is bad!

But direct negative aspersions from yourself are OK. Hypocritical much.

Goodbye

• Haha 1