Buying/Owning a sports or premium car in Thailand

For owners of the above are you happy you made that decision?

Some (most) of the roads in Phuket are terrible. 
One case in point the road between Patong and Karon. 

It's absolutely horrendous. One lane is still half blocked off from the mountain in a certain section.
Three or four bikes got wiped out last night im guessing an oil spill but unsure, can post video if anybody wants to see it.

Anyway off topic but emphasising my point.

Is it more headache than its worth?

Punctures,

Cracked rims,

Stonechipped paintwork,

Dings from bikes and other cars common?

The roads around Buriram seem to be much better than Phuket. 
Bangkok I cant really remember because I usually used the BTS. 

Alot of the reason why so many people opt for SUVs here to soak up all the holes and bumps

Is One2car/marketplace the most popular place to search for cars, marketplace the filters and results are terrible to do any decent search but im not sure there's an alternative? 

Everybody talks about check for flood damage, is this the main concern across the whole country or specific to certain areas and what are the things to look for? 

Most of the newer cars of this type often have service packages included so a car thats less than 5 years old should be easy to see the history and servicing schedules?

Edited by Startmeup

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What would be the point of buying/owning a sports or premium car in Thailand, except that you can impress some people with that?

The roads are too bad for "normal" cars. For sports cars, which are low and have a floor which should not be damaged, it is worth.

Is an ordinary Toyota or something like that with a top speed of 200km/h not good enough for you?

Went to dinner last night in the back of Pattaya, there was a Rolls Royce SUV parked in the front; they cost approx 40 million baht.  It was driven by a Chinese guy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Went to dinner last night in the back of Pattaya, there was a Rolls Royce SUV parked in the front; they cost approx 40 million baht.  It was driven by a Chinese guy.

Ya but surely he would prefer to be in a Toyota?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

He is Chinese/Thai. Lives in Paradise Villa. Has another 3 cars worth about the same amount. FYI only.

Curious, What are the other cars?

Edited by Startmeup

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And?

Sometimes I see very expensive cars in Bangkok. Most of the time they are standing. And few times they are driven, slowly, mostly in the traffic. 

A long time ago I drive a Porsche cabriolet for a weekend. 250 on the Autobahn and a little slower on other well maintained roads. Yes, it can be nice and fun under the right conditions. But in Thailand? 

Something like this might be useful. 

-lscl52_sdv_SoiIss6T3CEWuU1FcgQ3q85XordK

I've seen a few high value cars in Pattaya, but first time for a new RR. If I had that wealth I wouldn't be driving such a vehicle in Thailand - each to their own...

2 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Curious, What are the other cars?

One of these would do him. 200 hp turbo charged. Plenty enough for Thailand.

¾ driver side front facing view of 2023 Civic Sedan Si model in Sonic Grey Pearl colour

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I've seen a few high value cars in Pattaya, but first time for a new RR. If I had that wealth I wouldn't be driving such a vehicle in Thailand - each to their own...

From a safety point of view is it, do you think you are a target when you drive a car like that? 

Just now, Startmeup said:

From a safety point of view is it, do you think you are a target when you drive a car like that? 

It seems the police avoid stopping luxury cars because they don't want to be in conflict with influential people.

I guess most thieves will follow that rule.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems the police avoid stopping luxury cars because they don't want to be in conflict with influential people.

I guess most thieves will follow that rule.

Ive noticed that too. Ive even noticed it with people who have bigger bikes often just get waved through.

I was thinking about it after reading some reports of Russians kidnapping other Russians recently in Phuket trying to extort them of their cryptos millions. Not sure how that one ended. 

Having a RR is a different level to a BMW/MB/Audi. People who have the means to own that type of car in Thailand (or anywhere) are very wealthy by any measurement. In a country like Thailand where there is often rules for the rich and rules for others, and everybody here knows that the case, is that somebody you would want to be trying to scam or rob, Do you want to FAFO with somebody who can drop $10-20k to solve a problem? The police would do alot of digging if you told them you have some money to spend on it

I dont see headlines of super rich dorks getting kidnapped in Bangkok/Phuket etc? There's tons of rich kids in Thailand. Driving around in their Lambos around Thonglor.  Seems like a very easy target for an established or aspiring scammer/robber but doesn't really happen does it?

Edited by Startmeup

Back before moving here they supposedly allowed cars to be imported....I loved my Lexus SC400 & briefly pondered bringing it over....At that time the road conditions + lack of parts and qualified techs dowsed that thought.....

And that's a fun, solid, well equipped vehicle....

I'm not sure the carbon fiber new generation super cars would have any kind of long life expectancy here....

Don't own either, but sports car, no, doesn't make sense, as roads suck for high speed, along with too many hazards want to commit suicide on your car.  I won't even own a bike scooter (750cc & up), as I know I'll kill myself, as not will power not to push the limits.

Premium... how can that ever be a bad thing.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Startmeup said:

Yes, by professional criminal elements.

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Back before moving here they supposedly allowed cars to be imported....I loved my Lexus SC400 & briefly pondered bringing it over....At that time the road conditions + lack of parts and qualified techs dowsed that thought.....

And that's a fun, solid, well equipped vehicle....

I'm not sure the carbon fiber new generation super cars would have any kind of long life expectancy here....

Good point.

I remember a guy who was the top boos in a big international company. He had a top of the line 7 series BMW. And it seems sometimes he had to wait for parts because BMW Thailand didn't have them in stock. At some time a motorcycle crashed against and open rear door. He needed a new door. BMW told him it will take over a month to get one.

That's when he/his company sold the car and he decided to buy some Toyota or something like that with everything available in Thailand...

Personally, I had a Japanese motorcycle which was private imported from Japan. I often waited for parts. Annoying - at least if you have just one vehicle. 

• Thanks 1

If you have money to waste, why not! 

Suv is the way to go for safety and driving comfort, and will not limit your adventures if you like to travel inside Thailand by car! 

Sports cars is useless, except it is important for your ego and self esteem. If I lived in Germany, A sports car would be more right choice

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, connda said:

You mean someone who owns a Status-Symbol-On-Wheels.  Waste of money. 

Any high end car can be a status symbol, but a sports car in thailand is in my opinion useless. Depend on what kind of sports car of course, but low clearance, low profile tires, etc is in my opinion useless.

A rally edition would work better

DOnt know how far Thailand is already with this, but now you can buy classic sedan and import free.

Weird they only say SEDAN, but ok a nice GTO in Thailand?

Not mentioned what is a classic. And also parts would be free of import tax?

Also not mentioned, if you bring a total brand new revisited classic sedan, ok then?

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=def07fe5-bd9d-479b-9ba7-4b77be32057d

image.thumb.jpeg.b2ed7abcaf5663a175e62264c52d1ec1.jpeg

See if that link is working, as sometimes this article is hard to find.

Can also be blocked and you have to register first, but with some work you can read it.

Otherwise try yo find by searching "Lexology Thanathip & Partners, Bangkok, op 28 maart 2024."

On 4/7/2024 at 9:49 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

What would be the point of buying/owning a sports or premium car in Thailand, except that you can impress some people with that?

The roads are too bad for "normal" cars. For sports cars, which are low and have a floor which should not be damaged, it is worth.

Is an ordinary Toyota or something like that with a top speed of 200km/h not good enough for you?

Once you go for a night drive from BKK to Pattaya you will understand the difference between a sports car 300+ HP and a normal car.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:54 AM, Startmeup said:

I dont see headlines of super rich dorks getting kidnapped in Bangkok/Phuket etc? There's tons of rich kids in Thailand. Driving around in their Lambos around Thonglor.  Seems like a very easy target for an established or aspiring scammer/robber but doesn't really happen does it?

It's a very homogeneous society. Doesn't only apply to cars. Did you notice where the ATMs stand in Thailand? And they won't get blown up like in Germany. If an ATM would be placed in Germany in a public place like in Thailand it would take a day until a stolen car would drive into it or it getting blown to pieces by some home made IED.

1 minute ago, AreYouGerman said:

Once you go for a night drive from BKK to Pattaya you will understand the difference between a sports car 300+ HP and a normal car.

So, what is the difference?

Lots of ordinary cars can drive faster than 200km/h. Some sports cars >300km/h.

But for all of them you need good roads, and it helps a lot when you know the other drivers are used to fast cars and the other drivers know how to drive.

I did a lot of >200km/h driving on the Autobahn with above conditions. I doubt I would want to drive anywhere near that speed in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

And they won't get blown up like in Germany. If an ATM would be placed in Germany in a public place like in Thailand it would take a day until a stolen car would drive into it or it getting blown to pieces by some home made IED.

Where in Germany does that happen?

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So, what is the difference?

Lots of ordinary cars can drive faster than 200km/h. Some sports cars >300km/h.

But for all of them you need good roads, and it helps a lot when you know the other drivers are used to fast cars and the other drivers know how to drive.

I did a lot of >200km/h driving on the Autobahn with above conditions. I doubt I would want to drive anywhere near that speed in Thailand.

It's also the acceleration and how the car handles the high speed. The Japanese cars drive like a boat in comparison to a C43. Also, kickdown etc. Some people have fun driving these cars as it's a completely different feeling.

There's a ~20km stretch on Pattaya <-> BKK road which is like Autobahn+.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where in Germany does that happen?

Everywhere! "Geldautomat gesprengt" = ATM blown up.

a.png.320cb28019f65229b88e0fdbb76b6bef.png

Just a random result for the lazy:

"Some 496 cash machines were blown up last year, 27 per cent more than in 2021, the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA) said."

https://www.ft.com/content/5a03b08d-dc7e-4115-b6aa-139e1ec39b99

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Thanks 1