Air Con

15 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Also   does the electric service need to be factored in with the extra BTU's?

Yes, but if you are lucky the cables and breaker are still good enough for the higher load.

Check in the manual!

Sample: In the manual of my new 18000 BTU Daikin it shows 6.4Amp.

53 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, but if you are lucky the cables and breaker are still good enough for the higher load.

Check in the manual!

Sample: In the manual of my new 18000 BTU Daikin it shows 6.4Amp.

Why did you settle on that brand?   So I can check how many amps the present one is drawing and work off of that.

I am using a Mitsubishi inverter 18000btu inverter
It replaced a Mitsubishi heavy duty same size from around 12 years ago

It was getting old as usually leave them on around 18-20 hours a day and starting to cost more in electric than normal.
the new inverter type has taken the electric bill down by around 1200 baht a month from around 4000baht to 2800 last month

Edited by kwak250
  • Like 2

I just bought a 18k BTU inverter TCL from Lazada for 11,000 baht and it's very good, recommended on another thread. A local AC company installed it 3,500 baht, no drama. Very quiet, i can hear next door AC now

Edited by scubascuba3

9 hours ago, charleskerins said:

living with a 12,000 BTU -not getting the job done

Try using a fan at the same time, might save you a bit of money buying a new AC. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I am using a Mitsubishi inverter 18000btu inverter
It replaced a Mitsubishi heavy duty same size from around 12 years ago

It was getting old as usually leave them on around 18-20 hours a day and starting to cost more in electric than normal.
the new inverter type has taken the electric bill down by around 1200 baht a month from around 4000baht to 2800 last month

that is a significant savings

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems Daikin and Mitsubishi (there are two Mitsubishi) have consistently good reputations. So, I wanted one of them.

And I wanted a model with Wi-Fi control which I can integrate in my home automation.

Daikin has Wi-Fi controlled ACs. I bought 4 of them and I am happy with them.

And especially now I love the fact that I can turn them on when I am 10min away from home so when I arrive it's wonderfully cool. 😉 

Nice

22 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Probably due for a new one then. 

Good luck with the purchase 

22 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Probably due for a new one then. 

Good luck with the purchase 

thanks -rental and she has to provide her own AC     weird.

Yes, your new aircon will most probably get no problem with the extra amp it might take. Usually Thai electric use a 32 amp switch for aircon as their standard. Check your switch and the switch it is connected to for make sure. And yes, 18k btu is needed for cooling down ok now as the weather is extremely hot. We changed just 2 month ago from 12k to 18k.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just bought a 18k BTU inverter TCL from Lazada for 11,000 baht and it's very good, recommended on another thread. A local AC company installed it 3,500 baht, no drama. Very quiet, i can hear next door AC now

this one ?    

TCL แอร์ติดผนัง (18000 BTU , Inverter) รุ่น TAC-XAL18 / รับประกัน คอมเพรสเซอร์ 5 ปี อะไหล่ 1 ปี. น้ำยาR32 แถ่มท่อ 4เมตร สายไฟ 10เมตร

฿12,500.00

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, your new aircon will most probably get no problem with the extra amp it might take. Usually Thai electric use a 32 amp switch for aircon as their standard. Check your switch and the switch it is connected to for make sure. And yes, 18k btu is needed for cooling down ok now as the weather is extremely hot. We changed just 2 month ago from 12k to 18k.

What model did you purchase?  it's direct wired into a 30 amp Chang

Edited by charleskerins
correction

2 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

What model did you purchase?  it's direct wired into a 30 amp Chang

We have changed to Hisense Inverter in all home, as I feel they are cooling down really good and quick. Moreover, they also turn off slow and push out the air in the system before shutting down.

Yes, it is connected directly to a 32 amp auto-switch. Not the most safe for the aircon, but at least I know wiring will take the load. hehe

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

We have changed to Hisense Inverter in all home, as I feel they are cooling down really good and quick. Moreover, they also turn off slow and push out the air in the system before shutting down.

Yes, it is connected directly to a 32 amp auto-switch. Not the most safe for the aircon, but at least I know wiring will take the load. hehe

Is this the model you purchased?  HISENSE เครื่องปรับอากาศ 18000 BTU INVERTER รุ่น AS-18TRCE2T โดย สยามทีวี by Siam T.V.

17 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Is this the model you purchased?  HISENSE เครื่องปรับอากาศ 18000 BTU INVERTER รุ่น AS-18TRCE2T โดย สยามทีวี by Siam T.V.

In my apartments the aircons are getting slowly changed out after 10 years of operation. Using 'hisense' 18,000 btu Aircons also. For taking out the old aircons, redoing any necessary wiring and piping, installing new aircons and 2 year free cleaning, we pay our aircon guy 20,000 per room.

With apartments and houses our aircon guy (Daikin certified) has 28 aircons to service every year. 

This is one of the models we are upgrading too. 

HISENSE AS-18TR4RGSKB00

There are a few models with much the same specs, so we just go with the latest model.

Edited by couchpotato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

that is a significant savings

I replaced old units with new Daikin inverter units 4 years ago. Increased with new units from 9,000BTU to 12,000BTU and 18,000BTU to 22,000BTU. Same physical size of the internal units. Saved a huge amount on electricity, better cooling and quieter too. Very good value.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems Daikin and Mitsubishi (there are two Mitsubishi) have consistently good reputations. So, I wanted one of them.

And I wanted a model with Wi-Fi control which I can integrate in my home automation.

Daikin has Wi-Fi controlled ACs. I bought 4 of them and I am happy with them.

And especially now I love the fact that I can turn them on when I am 10min away from home so when I arrive it's wonderfully cool. 😉 

Yes they do - and justyified. Whenever we are in a hotel we first clean the AC units (wash filter etc) and those that work best as Mitsubishi and Daiken consitantly. 

You say there are two Mitubishis - I assume that is 'Normal' and 'Heavy Duty'. Is there any known difference in quality durability etc.  

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

this one ?    

TCL แอร์ติดผนัง (18000 BTU , Inverter) รุ่น TAC-XAL18 / รับประกัน คอมเพรสเซอร์ 5 ปี อะไหล่ 1 ปี. น้ำยาR32 แถ่มท่อ 4เมตร สายไฟ 10เมตร

฿12,500.00

This one but they are probably all good

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.njfRP

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-31-46-065_com.lazada.android.jpg

9 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Yeah, it´s that one.

• Like 1