What do you like about Thai culture?

On 4/9/2024 at 3:10 PM, bob smith said:

For me personally I cant think of anything right now, but I will add to this thread if and when I do.

bob.

They are prepared to rent their daughter's at bargain prices.

• Agree 2

On 4/9/2024 at 12:30 PM, bob smith said:

fake friendly or real?

bob.

For the most part, real. Bear in mind we are generalising, so there are plenty of villains in Thailand, like any other country. 

• Confused 1

On 4/9/2024 at 8:24 PM, bob smith said:

I understand your sentiments, Charlie, but I also feel that these traits can be a hindrance to Thailand becoming a fully developed country.

bob.

That wasn't your question.

That has nothing to do with liking the culture. I like it because it hasn't yet gone down the road to hell that western "developed" countries are running down fast as they can.

On 4/10/2024 at 12:21 AM, bob smith said:

yep, seen it happen many times.

beneath their thin veneer of friendliness lies a vindictive, envious, bitter and resentful individual that will murder you for the most trivial of reasons. 

bob.

BS, BS and more BS.

Get out of your bubble if you want to experience reality.

I am far more fearful of the many ultra violent thugs in western countries than I ever was in Thailand.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

Their overall relaxed and laid-back attitude. You don't often see Thais run around like headless chickens. 

Yeah. They don't hold much enthusiasm for western BS like man made climate change is going to kill us all unless we buy a tesla, or Russia is the enemy because we don't like Putin, and there are dozens of genders because our education system is barking. There are a few more reasons why Thailand is a million times better than western countries, but those are enough for now.

• Confused 2

On 4/9/2024 at 2:50 PM, Ben Zioner said:

Is there a Thai culture, other than xenophobia, dogma, subservience and superstition?

yes. and the fact you don;t know this means you are missing out on some amazing experiences.

you really should get out there and experience the real thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, it is what it is said:

yes. and the fact you don;t know this means you are missing out on some amazing experiences.

you really should get out there and experience the real thailand.

Just went out and saw a few people watering the road.. Thai culture I suppose?

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:12 PM, CharlieH said:

The "mai bpen rai" and "live n let live" attitude generally prevalent.

This is okay in general, but a lot let others get away with a lot of damage and use that saying. It doesn't work for a lot of things even though it's the go to phrase of most. It's why it's still behind the times here.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yeah. They don't hold much enthusiasm for western BS like man made climate change is going to kill us all unless we buy a tesla, or Russia is the enemy because we don't like Putin, and there are dozens of genders because our education system is barking. There are a few more reasons why Thailand is a million times better than western countries, but those are enough for now.

I wouldn't say a million. Maybe 3 or 4, but the negatives far outweigh the positives. Leave out girls that will go with an older man, albeit for his money, the cheaper living conditions and travel expenses (public), and fresh mango, and there isn't many more.

BS, BS and more BS.

Get out of your bubble if you want to experience reality.

I am far more fearful of the many ultra violent thugs in western countries than I ever was in Thailand.

I'm afraid of very little besides the fact some here would shoot you for absolutely nothing but a harsh look, something I never experienced in 62 years back home. They will gang up on you 5 against 1, armed with sticks and machetes, also something that only happens in gang against gang back home. There are ultra violent people all over this country, and many have no thoughts about what comes next, as life doesn't mean as much here as it does outside. In all my life, I have never seen so much in daily news about the cowardly attacks that go on here daily. Of course America has a lot of crime, but it's usually gang related  or mass shootings, which will increase here, as it seems to be a competition for insanity.

That wasn't your question.

That has nothing to do with liking the culture. I like it because it hasn't yet gone down the road to hell that western "developed" countries are running down fast as they can.

It's been in hell since time began , and where is it not still there, although western influence is helping the younger generation fight for more freedom? Remember in Buddhism, women are still looked at as inferior. This means millions of women, as in all male dominated societies, which is still caveman thinking. Thai culture values serenity and no displays of public anger, but daily we see this isn't so. It's a good way to think but actually practicing it is a losing battle. If they stood by their Buddhist beliefs as far as serenity, it would be fine, but people still are people, all with anger inside, and keeping it under wraps? When I see people daily chasing one another down the road armed with whatever, it doesn't appear to be serenity in practice, and when they hit others and pay them off, it opens the door to more violence, because if all we get is a small fine if we say we're sorry with a wai, we know we can do it again and again and get the same result.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

I love the (seemingly) laid back attitude to gays and trans (live and let live) and the fact they have not been indoctrinated into thinking sex is a dirty, disgusting activity in the way the Abrahamic religions try to brainwash whole societies.

• Like 2

There are a couple of facets of characteristics specific to Thailand which 'could' be called Thai culture (these characteristics are not the solely Thai and are also characteristics of general behavior and attitudes in some other countries).

1) A General lack of confrontationalism.

In General people don't get upset, angry, moan or cause confrontation about simple things - this makes life more enjoyable and stress free for many of us living here.

But, this is a double edged sword, as this lack of confrontationalism also causes issues as the same attitudes and apathy prevail, things do not get done which also causes issues. 

I prefer the lack of confrontationalism, at the same time can get exasperated with things which people seem not to care about.

It seems to me that a lot of what makes Thai Culture likeable are the very same things that make it frustrating too, not just for foreigners, but also for Thai's. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 7:31 PM, Hummin said:

When we argue, we are here now, not yesterday or the year before,

They have more memory than an Elephant when it is about something you may have done wrong years ago, and Will bring it up in an argument IME

40 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I love the (seemingly) laid back attitude to gays and trans (live and let live) and the fact they have not been indoctrinated into thinking sex is a dirty, disgusting activity in the way the Abrahamic religions try to brainwash whole societies.

U sure about that? I got laid a lot in my HS years, University, and service back in Israel, was seen as healthy.. On the other hand there are plenty of girls on Thai Friendly who post they don't want to hear about sex.

1 minute ago, Ben Zioner said:

U sure about that? I got laid a lot in my HS years, University, and service back in Israel, was seen as healthy.. On the other hand there are plenty of girls on Thai Friendly who post they don't want to hear about sex.

Yes.....I"m not saying they will have sex at the drop of hat.....just that the act of sex is not viewed in the same way as many in the west might......especially the older generations in the west who had the joy of hell and damnation thrust down their throats.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

They have more memory than an Elephant when it is about something you may have done wrong years ago, and Will bring it up in an argument IME

Not my experience