Overstayed by 7 months.

55 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

The right thing to do is do border run, pay 20K fine and pray for the mercy of IO

That would not be a good idea.

He will receive a ban.

He needs to exit via airport now. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I don't think they fix overstays these days. Probably a scam.

Yes, I met one "dude" who claims he can "remove anybody from ban" for mere 100K. With his Eastern European accent and Rolex replica, yes, sure-sure! Just as little thai woman (about 50-soon) that claims she can arrange Thai residence permit for 1M. I met her with my friend at CW. Unbelievable!

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That would not be a good idea.

He will receive a ban.

He needs to exit via airport now. 

He will (or he might) receive ban either way. Why airport is better? Just out of curiosity 

Edited by NativeBob
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NativeBob said:

He will (or he might) receive ban either way. Why airport is better? Just out of curiosity 

If he leaves by Airport and has a flight ticket out, then he can fly out (in case he is early enough for paperwork and he has the 20'000 baht overstay fine).
If they catch him somewhere else, he comes into IDC detention, which then he have to spend some time, till his flight is arranged.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Probably because it's better to be banned on a plane going somewhere you want to go to rather than at the border in Cambodia/Laos.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 2:27 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Because the fine will just end up in their pockets and they fix it up in the computer. In the south many things are still easier like it used to be anywhere, if you know the right person and time. But 20K actually sounds too cheap, should be more in the direction of like 40-70K if combining it with changing it to a yearly extension.

Dream on little Dreamer:clap2:

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Nonsense 

Not entirely Jack.

There was a member of this forum posted a couple of years ago with a similar issue.

He had the Thai Elite visa and was mistakenly under the impression he could stay 5 years, not realising he had to leave and re-enter for another year, or apply for a 1-year extension.

Overstayed 8 months, my advice was to leave, pay the 20K and be banned for 1 year.

He contacted me via PM stating that wasn't an option as he was married and they'd just had their first child.

Mitigating circumstances, as it was in part also Immigrations fault.
He'd been submitting 90-day reports, and nobody noticed his permission of stay had expired until his 3rd 90-day report after that date.

He took his case up with CW, with little sympathy.
Fortunately, his wife had an uncle who was a high ranking police official in Bangkok, who took their case up.

Cost him 80K to sort it out, and CW issued him a 1-year extension backdated as if they'd issued it 8 months earlier.

I doubt an agent could facilitate such an outcome, unless they knew some high ranking officials.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

I doubt he will be able to find a non-scam offer to get it disappeared. Best is to enjoy another 4 months to get close to 1 year and then fly out and get a 1 year ban. Overstay procedure at BKK airport is no big deal. It's a streamlined process. Just make sure the overstay is under 1 year otherwise it's 3 years blacklisted.

What might happen if he were picked up or stopped by police during those 4 extra months?

What might be the probability that he be locked up?

And, if caught, is there not a much longer "ban" from returning to Thailand?

Why take the risk?

I have no idea, but would it not be the best choice to head for the airport, as soon as possible, and accept a one-year ban?

The Bt.20,000 fine is really NOTHING, compared to the long overstay of 7 months....right?

• Thumbs Up 1

so you give a bribe of 20 K++ to an agent...he takes your passport, can't get it fixed and disappears?  what do you do then?  call the police and report the agent took your bribe money and passport and moved to ko whoknows?

28 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What might happen if he were picked up or stopped by police during those 4 extra months?

What might be the probability that he be locked up?

And, if caught, is there not a much longer "ban" from returning to Thailand?

Why take the risk?

I have no idea, but would it not be the best choice to head for the airport, as soon as possible, and accept a one-year ban?

The Bt.20,000 fine is really NOTHING, compared to the long overstay of 7 months....right?

Risk is very low, as proven by 7 month without issue. He will receive a 1 year ban anyway, maybe he has certain issue which prevents him from leaving instantly. Sure, better would be to leave immediately or even better not overstaying but life isn't always just a to b, right?

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

There was a member of this forum posted a couple of years ago with a similar issue.

I don't see this as a similar issue.

Sure there have been cases involving medical reasons for overstay also court cases and folk end up on overstay if they didn't obtain extension for court proceedings etc.

Lawyers in some situations can be useful but costly. 

Not really clear about this friend of a friend situation is.

One thing is clear (imo) get out of dodge. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

whats  on earth these  people  are  doing overstaying for  months and years....cant they read or have zero  memory...much  be  selective amnesia...ban them forever..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

when it comes to negative problems most Karen here are as toxic as a monkey behind

overstay is bannable but that doesn't mean you will get banned, it all depends, get yourself an agent and let them deal with it, don't try to do it yourself, if you want to take a risk head to the airport, pay your fine and hope for the best, either way, they will send you on your way home.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Not entirely Jack.

He had the Thai Elite visa and was mistakenly under the impression he could stay 5 years, not realising he had to leave and re-enter for another year, or apply for a 1-year extension.

Overstayed 8 months, my advice was to leave, pay the 20K and be banned for 1 year.

He contacted me via PM stating that wasn't an option as he was married and they'd just had their first child.

Mitigating circumstances, as it was in part also Immigrations fault.
He'd been submitting 90-day reports, and nobody noticed his permission of stay had expired until his 3rd 90-day report after that date.

He took his case up with CW, with little sympathy.
Fortunately, his wife had an uncle who was a high ranking police official in Bangkok, who took their case up.

Cost him 80K to sort it out, and CW issued him a 1-year extension backdated as if they'd issued it 8 months earlier.

I doubt an agent could facilitate such an outcome, unless they knew some high ranking officials.

Even though the PE visa rules and limitations are very clear in the application

and online manuals

It happened more than once

On 4/12/2024 at 6:06 AM, PeachCH said:

An agent with a good relationship to the Immigration, can fix the problem and your friend can avoid to be banned for one year. 

Will be around 40k + the official 20k.

Illegal suggestion should be deleted as well

9 minutes ago, pomchop said:

But in English class we did learn to put a ? mark after a question. Happy now?

What. Hmm. Ok. Yes!

Anyway. I agree that there is nobody to complain to if someone would be scammed by the promise of getting the overstay cleared and scam is very likely.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 2:10 PM, eeworldwide said:

Greetings and for any help and good perspective and advice, I thank you in advance.

A friend of a friend has just informed me that on the offer of a job and relication to BKK, that they have overstayed and been living in Phuket for 7 months on overstay. They have suggested that they know a thai guy in Phuket who will speak to immigration for them and all he will have to do is pay the 20K fine and all should be well.

I'd say 7 months is a seriously long time and how likely is it that they will turn a blind eye to it?

Ive lived in thailand for 16 years and have only ever over-stayed by a couple days.  Usually thats not taken seriously and you just pay the fine.

7 months seems a bit robust....?

Is it really likely that they'll turn a blind eye or he'll be turfed out..?

What is wrong with people these days?

On 4/12/2024 at 9:08 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

People on this forum don't believe us clearly, they seem to not be aware of the exceptions and possibilities down south. I heard the exact same figure, I even posted that figure yesterday here too. I've seen plenty of hippies and Russians/Ukranians fix their overstay that way on islands too.

I doubt that figures. THB60k was before they implemented the bio metric system. Nowadays I heard figures around TBb200-250k. 

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2024 at 1:34 PM, NativeBob said:

Stay away from agents - heard some ladies had bad experience with them. The right thing to do is do border run, pay 20K fine and pray for the mercy of IO

There is no mercy. 7month overstay is a year ban.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, visarunner said:

There is no mercy. 7month overstay is a year ban.

I won't argue, if you say so, esp. with nick @visarunner you might know something we don't. 

On 4/12/2024 at 12:47 PM, eeworldwide said:

This is not about me, nor about the overstay rules per se.

You started the thread and explain you don't understand the overstay rules? Seems pretty clear to me.