What can/should be done about the yaba crisis in Thailand?

jvs

1 hour ago, eumenades said:

Sixty years ago, I took a little yellow amphetamine for a technical drawing exam. I finished 45 minutes before anybody else and got a pass with honours. Some say it is the same for maths, but with English it can make you too confident. (Just passing through, folks.)

Indeed. I remember taking Modafinil  for physics exams. I felt focused like never before and got better results. However if I studied for my exam under Modafinil the learning was poor. Good for taking the exam, bad for learning towards the exam.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:47 AM, BritManToo said:

Also gives you the energy to work all day in the fields. Drug of choice for Gogo dancers as it gives them the energy to dance all night and it keeps their weight down.

... exactly, bus & lorry drivers, construction workers, the one or other pilot ... you name it.

Also far from just a 'recreational use' problem alone that stuff, Japan for example had a massive amphetamine crisis stretching long after WWII during which it was used freely - as it was in plenty other countries btw. - and at that time the surplus war stockpiles hit the market ...

• Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 9:27 AM, KhunLA said:

That's funny, and I think most people addicted to yaba, prefer the addiction level compared to cigarettes.   Number one problem with druggies, they do commit crimes to finance their habit.

Do try to live in the real world once in a while :coffee1:

They only commit the crimes when drugs are expensive. With yaba at 20bht/tab and cannabis at 30bht/GM, nobody needs to commit crimes to purchase them.

Alcohol is far more expensive so why aren't you ranting about the evils of alcohol forcing the poor into committing crimes?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They only commit the crimes when drugs are expensive. With yaba at 20bht/tab and cannabis at 30bht/GM, nobody needs to commit crimes to purchase them.

Alcohol is far more expensive so why aren't you ranting about the evils of alcohol forcing the poor into committing crimes?

Just in the Thai news,yaba addict kills 12 year old because he was jealous because the boy had some money and he wanted it to buy pills.

Lots of people with an addiction and no income.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought yaba was like 1 or 200 a tab, after the 'crackdown'.   No experience myself, but that's what I've read in news.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I thought yaba was like 1 or 200 a tab, after the 'crackdown'.   No experience myself, but that's what I've read in news.

No it is now a lot cheaper!

I hear some are sold for 20 baht a tablet.

Any one can afford to get hooked but after that your life(and those around you)are changed forever,and not in a good way.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

20bht is the top price, and it's dropping. Used to be 50bht before COVID.

On 4/14/2024 at 12:12 AM, BritManToo said:

I was reading about the evils of alcohol, thus leaving me with no others choice to give up...................reading! 🙂    chok dee!

On 4/12/2024 at 10:02 AM, herfiehandbag said:

I am not particularly biased, nor am I addicted.

I drink, moderately, on occasions. I also go for considerable periods, several weeks, without drinking. Currently I am on a course of antibiotics, which preclude drinking. Absolutely no problem. I can live with that.

We see many posts, whenever yaa baa, or any other drugs are discussed claiming that none of these addictions are as serious as drinking alcohol. If you query the zeal with which alcohol is condemned then you are branded an addict. It is for the most part a deflection. 

as i said

On 4/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, patman30 said:

As for alcohol it is extremely difficult to see the damage alcohol does to a society until you are completely clean of it, and i do not mean just a few days or weeks off it.

Thanks for making my point for me.

• Agree 1