Leaving with 500 000 the in Cash

3 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Not many places I would want to be with 500,000 Baht except Thailand.  Another currency probably better 

He asks about 500k usd

Edited by Hellfire
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why?

I would say the risk of it being confiscated.

There is no presumption of innocence on such matters.

You need to prove the money was legitimately sourced.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Agree 1

Why?

Wai not?

Them's the rules.

Unless going to a neighboring country where the limit is 2m baht, according to the Wise link above

You’re only able to take up to THB 50,000 if you’re leaving the country with Thai currency. To give an idea, that’s around about USD 1500.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why?

It's useless anywhere but here.. I had 20k cash in Canada a few years back and changed it at a currency exchange.They didn't want it at first but in the end gave me a very poor ex rate.Big mistake on my part.

Whenever I used to go to Cambodia I always bought USD here to take with me and never any issues.

49 minutes ago, stoner said:

is there a problem taking this much cash out of thailand with you ?

The maximum amount of Thai currency that can be carried out depends on your destination; the maximum cash permitted is B50,000 unless the destination country is Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar or Yunnan, China in which cases the limit is B2,000,000 but anything over B450k has to be declared on leaving.  

https://www.thailand.go.th/issue-focus-detail/009-010

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why?

Foreign currency transactions between residents and non-residents of Thailand are governed by exchange control regulations, which are provided for under the Exchange Control Act (B.E. 2485) and Ministerial Regulation No. 13 (B.E. 2497) which was issued under the former.

Rationale for Exchange Control Regulation

✓   Maintain control over the inflow and outflow of currency.

✓   Maintain stability of the economy through prevention of volatile exchange rates.

✓   Minimize speculation against local currency.

✓   Protect and preserve foreign currency reserves.

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why?

He's not asking about restrictions when entering other countries, he's asking about limits when leaving Thailand.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

He's not asking about restrictions when entering other countries, he's asking about limits when leaving Thailand.

BS if it is declared and all paper work is in order there is no restriction loopy.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't do it if country of destination is in the West, no matter you can show all is legal (no black).

They're going to give you a hard time. The West is calling for central bank digital currency. No more cash in use.

If you mean 500k USD then completely forget it, if thai baht up to you.

4 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

I wouldn't do it if country of destination is in the West, no matter you can show all is legal (no black).

They're going to give you a hard time. The West is calling for central bank digital currency. No more cash in use.

If you mean 500k USD then completely forget it, if thai baht up to you.

I was tugged at Gatwick last month by Customs (randomly for sure)

Do you have more than £1000 on you was the 5th question (45,000 Baht)

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

He did not state what currency he wants to take with him. But what normal person will want to take 500 k thai money to another country with him? It is definitely US dollars.

If he has 500k in USD cash I'm thinking there will be more than a few eyebrows raised.He definitely has to declare it no matter what or risk being detained and the cash confiscated. Is he here on a tourist visa or ? Something just doesn't add up. 

If he has 500k in THB he'll have to exchange it somewhere before he can spend it...even Laos or Cambodia. Maybe a Myanmar General gave it to him for safe keeping. sheesh

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is no presumption of innocence on such matters.

You need to prove the money was legitimately sourced.

1 hour ago, stoner said:

as long as you can show bank records to immigration officials ? 

So if you can read the OP it sounds like he can prove it was legitimately sourced. What was your point again?  

7 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I got pulled over a few times in the 90's and was asked that question. Under GBP1000 no further questions, any amount over that and they start questioning the source and proof.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Several years ago I was lined up at a kiosk at the boarding gate for a flight to Tripoli and a suit slid up to me and politely asked how much cash I was carrying?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So if you can read the OP it sounds like he can prove it was legitimately sourced. What was your point again?  

My point is that what he thinks is good enough proof might possibly not be good enough proof for the interrogators. So there is a risk with taking big sums of cash regardless. 

• Thumbs Up 1