Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Bringing human ashes into Thailand

Hi all, 

I know what documentation I need to bring ashes into Thailand, however I can't seem to find if it's okay to bring certified copies? My family needs to keep hold of the original documents.

Thanks

Can you take human ashes to Thailand?

(1) The death certificate is not required. However, a copy of the death certificate should be carried by the importer when transporting the cremated human remains in case of security inspection. (2) The cremated human remains must be in the container that can easily be scanned such as cardboard, wood, plastic.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have not carried ashes to Thailand but I have carried ashes in my check in luggage from Thailand to the UK via Istanbul and Antalya.

Some baggage handlers that I know said to put a label on the container stating that they were human remains. Non toxic.

I did have problems at every stop. I was searched and tested for drugs.

Apparently the ashes look like drugs on an X-ray scan.

The ashes do not look like drugs, they are opaque ie. they could be used to mask another object.

Remove the ashes from your carry on, advise the loader what they are. They may pass a metal detector over container (if not metal). This was method of operation in Aust. No documentation was required but could help to support claim if required.

Coroners and hospitals that issue death certificates simply charge a fee for every official copy.  My experience was that they cost me US$10 per copy.

Just spend the money and have more issued.

• Agree 1

I took my first Thai wife’s ashes year 2009 in hand luggage with the documentation. All good no problems.

Her parents and close relatives will greatly appreciate you letting them know that not once did you put her bones on the floor during the journey.

Edited by twizzian
  • Like 1