Fortuner Key Problem

I took my 2005 Fortuner to the agent last week in response to a Thai language recall letter and left it for a few hours. They rang me a said that the remote key that I had left with them was faulty and asked me to bring the spare keys when I returned to collect up the car. At first I was angry because the key had been working fine when I left the car with them but reserved judgement until I went back

The young lady then pointed out that the plastic around 'lock' and 'unlock' buttons was bulging and swollen although the functions still worked fine. I pulled out the unused spare remote and could then see the difference. She said that this was a design fault with the key and that Toyota would replace them FOC. I then left the 'bad' key with her to order up a new item which I picked up a few days later. It has a much larger 'alarm' (red) button and seems more robust

So, if your keys are a-bubblin' call in at you freindly neighbourhood Toyota agent and ask for a replacement. Don't forget to take your spares so you can get home!

i was at toyota hua hin a couple of days ago to ask about new tyres and the manager saw i was holding the car key in my hand , he asked to have a look , and saw the bulges as described and offered to replace it.

its been like that for a year and works fine.

they want all the keys and the car for 3 hours. mine is a vigo.

apparently they said it takes that long to re set the codes in the cars computer to match the new keys.

Toyota vechicals seem to have no end of problems; really puts me off. Yet in the past you could not go wrong buying a Toyota. Wonder why; sourcing/building in Thailand cannot guarantee good quality, so is it something to do with just trying to make so many vechicals in Thailand? Or maybe the quality control is set lower for Thai vechicals? Makes you wonder; corners being cut somewhere?

No probs with my Mitsu (well apart from the air going warm, but this is a common problem in hot countries, and when fixing it they insisted on using only the 'Mitsu approved aircon fixer' and have had no problems since).

i was at toyota hua hin a couple of days ago to ask about new tyres and the manager saw i was holding the car key in my hand , he asked to have a look , and saw the bulges as described and offered to replace it.

its been like that for a year and works fine.

they want all the keys and the car for 3 hours. mine is a vigo.

apparently they said it takes that long to re set the codes in the cars computer to match the new keys.

How many klicks have you done on the current set of tyres on your Vigo? Are they Bridgestone?

52000kms , bridgestones. almost down to the minimum tread marker so i have changed them.

the hua hin toyota manager couldnt supply anything ,could order , but it would take 10 days , but he took me down to see his pal in pranburi , i think he was glad to get out of the showroom for an hour !

a small tyre place just as you come into pranburi , just before the esso? station on the left , i had 4 michelins fitted , good price too , 2000b cheaper than B-quick on 4 tyres. he fitted them with care , balanced the wheels and then we went back to toyota to have the toe-in/toe out tracking checked.

the michelins seem much quieter than the bridgestones , although i'm not sure if thats because the bridgestones were worn down and therefore noisy.