The Isaan and the rest of the world.

swissie

The wold in turmoil. (once more).

As a long term Farang in the Isaan, how much attention you and your family pays to increasing  "international disruptions"? Possibly, eventually affecting Farangs and their families in the Isaan? Especially if "international disruptions" would make it hard to transfer monthly funds to Thailand from the "old country"?

Any plan b) or other remedies in such a case?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

I transfer money from Oz every month. I figure Oz is less likely to be 'disrupted' than most countries but anything's possible.

No point in worrying too much about what could happen but probably won't, particularly if there's not much you could do about it anyway.

It's more about what the "locals" think about the happenings of the world and how it could possibly affect them. With or without the support of Farangs. History shows, that Thailand has not been affected by any colonial "power plays". Thus making it possibe to stay away from "international disturbances", as they have done successfully in the past, possibly benefitting long term Farangs, if they play their cards right.

2 minutes ago, swissie said:

It's more about what the "locals" think about the happenings of the world and how it could possibly affect them. With or without the support of Farangs. History shows, that Thailand has not been affected by any colonial "power plays". Thus making it possibe to stay away from "international disturbances", as they have done successfully in the past, possibly benefitting long term Farangs, if they play their cards right.

AND??? 

7 hours ago, swissie said:

So you've really answered your own question.

9 hours ago, swissie said:

The wold in turmoil. (once more).

As a long term Farang in the Isaan, how much attention you and your family pays to increasing  "international disruptions"? Possibly, eventually affecting Farangs and their families in the Isaan? Especially if "international disruptions" would make it hard to transfer monthly funds to Thailand from the "old country"?

Any plan b) or other remedies in such a case?

If that the case I go back, if I can

We have about 6 months reserve we can extend to one year if necessary. But if international disruptions, everything can change dramatic, also the safety conserning foreigners. 

We also have live stock we can feed on, and land we grow vegetables and fruit. So almost self sufficient 

• Like 1

Trying not to be cynical, but 'my' adopted family and all other locals I know have only a little or no knowledge of world events nor any geographical perspectives. Most are not even aware of what's happening in the next village. I don't have a 6 month reserve but same as Hummin wrote, we can cut many corners if necessary and almost live off the land.

• Like 2

I don't watch the news and have no idea what's happening. Suits me just fine because these disputes have been going on since time begun.

I don't want to know how hot it will be next week or the rising price of fuel because I can't do a thing about it and have no option but to accept it.

I don't listen to sceptical bs unless there are facts and evidence in front of me.

Call it ignorance but ignorance is bliss. Say what you like about Thai attitudes to world affairs...all I know is that I've not met one who doesn't sleep well. 

I wouldn't give it any thought. Carry on as you are and remember, if you have options you have a good life.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...