Change from Visa Exempt to Non-O

Hi all,

I had to make an urgent visit to The UK in February, and had no time to renew my annual visa; after 20 years, P***** *** doesn't even come close.

I,ve entered on Visa Exempt and will need to change to a NON-O by the end of next week.  If anybody has recently done that at Jomtien, I'd appreciate knowing exactly what documents will be required when I apply.

As far as I can ascertain, I've compiled the following:

TM47.

Passport copy, photo page and entry stamp.

Bankbook with 800K.

Wife's housebook.

My yellow book.

Marriage certificate.

Wife's ID.

House location map.

Kor Ror 2.

Map to house.

Some of the above may be over the top, but better safe that sorry.  I can't think of anything else they might require, but well, it is Jomtien!

Also, can the bankbook update be done the day before, and will I need a letter from the bank?

Thanks in advance for any help.

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/ 

Thinking you have couple of issues.

You should apply for non O with 15+ days remaining on your permission of stay. 

If required you can obtain 30 day extension or a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

Has funds been in bank for 2 months.

True the rule is funds in account day of application However earlier this year Jomtien was insisting on 2 months seasoning 

Same thread currently running here

https://aseannow.com/topic/1325238-procedures-for-non-imm-o-and-one-year-retirement-extension-from-a-visa-excempt-30-day-entry/

Thanks for the info Dr Jack.

I'll still have 15 days remaining by the end of next week, so no problem there.

If I apply for a 60 day extension to visit my wife, the funds will need to be in the bank for 2 months before I can get an annual visa.  I'd prefer not to go down that route because after having done 7 annual spousal extensions, I'd had enough of jumping through hoops for 1 immigration officer in particular.  However, if I have to do that, please can you tell me what documents I'll need for the 60 day extension.  If you think that is the best option, I'll do that.

Thanks

Best regards

Moti

12 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

However, if I have to do that, please can you tell me what documents I'll need for the 60 day extension.  If you think that is the best option, I'll do that.

I didn't realize that you had the required time up your sleeve so that not a problem.

The Non O provides a 90 day stamp and that's plenty to season funds for 2 months for the 12 month extension. 

If Jomtien plays games and wants the funds in account for 2 months for the Non O application, you could obtain the 60 day extension.  

Here is old thread re 60 day extension but still applies. Posts from ubonjoe always spot on 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1130123-re-60-day-extension-to-visit-your-wife/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

As far as I can ascertain, I've compiled the following:

TM47.

Passport copy, photo page and entry stamp.

Bankbook with 800K.

Wife's housebook.

My yellow book.

Marriage certificate.

Wife's ID.

House location map.

Kor Ror 2.

Map to house.

That's a confusing list.
Will you apply for the Non O and 1 year extension of stay (a permit, not a visa) based on Thai spouse, or retirement?

26 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

If I apply for a 60 day extension to visit my wife, the funds will need to be in the bank for 2 months before I can get an annual visa. 

It's a 1-year extension of your permission of stay, not a visa.
Regardless of whether you apply based on Thai spouse or retirement, the required funds will need to be in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the date of application.

For the Non O application, the procedure states funds are only required to be in a Thai bank account on the day of application, but as @DrJack54 has pointed out, Jomtien have been requesting those funds also be in a Thai bank account for 2 months.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I didn't realize that you had the required time up your sleeve so that not a problem.

The Non O provides a 90 day stamp and that's plenty to season funds for 2 months for the 12 month extension. 

If Jomtien plays games and wants the funds in account for 2 months for the Non O application, you could obtain the 60 day extension.  

Here is old thread re 60 day extension but still applies. Posts from ubonjoe always spot on 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1130123-re-60-day-extension-to-visit-your-wife/

I would like the retirement route, but if immigration want the funds seasoned for 2 months, then it will have to be the 60 day.  But that will mean the funds are seasoned only a few days before the extention ends, which is cutting it fine when it's always a gamble at Jomtien.

Thanks for the taking the time to answer; much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

I would like the retirement route, but if immigration want the funds seasoned for 2 months, then it will have to be the 60 day. 

No offense but that was not clear from the start. Why mention proof of marriage. 

I suggest you visit Jomtien and ask if 800k needs to be seasoned for 2 months to obtain non o.

If answer is yes I suggest you obtain 30 day extension plus 60 day extension in that order. 

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I suggest you visit Jomtien and ask if 800k needs to be seasoned for 2 months to obtain non o.

If answer is yes I suggest you obtain 30 day extension plus 60 day extension in that order. 

No need to visit Jomtien to ask as I already posted the non-imm O requirement sheet they hand out. It clearly states 800k had to be in bank for 2 months prior to application of non-imm O

2024_04_18 15_23 Office Lens.jpg

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No offense but that was not clear from the start. Why mention proof of marriage. 

My apologies.  I suppose my post was a bit misleading.

I must point out that this will be a new application because my previous visa extension expired while I was in The UK.

I have 800K in the bank, but won't be seasoned for 2 months until June.  So, if Jomtien insist the funds are seasoned for 2 months, even though the rules say that the money only has to be in the bank on the day of application, I'm screwed.  I don't particularly want to apply for an extension to visit my wife because it will only be a 60 day extension, leaving only a few days to complete the annual extension.

The other thing that bothers me is that the bank letter has to be dated the day on application, but before, it was accepted dated the day before.  I visited a Bangkok bank a couple of days ago, and had to wait over 2 hours for my ticket number to come up.  Then, another 20 minutes to do a 5 minute job.

Thanks for the info.  I'll probably have to get an agent on the job; expensive, but a lot easier.  

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

No need to visit Jomtien to ask as I already posted the non-imm O requirement sheet they hand out. It clearly states 800k had to be in bank for 2 months prior to application of non-imm o

Still think a visit is worthwhile. 

The OP has had continuous extensions based on retirement and immigration may overlook the (rogue) 2 month requirement.

As Pattaya City expats point out in this link.

The 2 months is Jomtien specific.

https://pcec.club/Applying-for-Non-Immigrant-O-Retirement/

25 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll probably have to get an agent on the job; expensive, but a lot easier.  

The only reason you're in a bad situation is due to rogue 2 month rule from Jomtien immigration. 

I posted above same time as your post.

Given you have had ongoing extensions at that office you could ask them.

Re Agent. You could use your own funds and ask agent to step around the 2 month issue if possible.  

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The only reason you're in a bad situation is due to rogue 2 month rule from Jomtien immigration. 

I posted above same time as your post.

Given you have had ongoing extensions at that office you could ask them.

Re Agent. You could use your own funds and ask agent to step around the 2 month issue if possible.  

Yes, an agent will do it for me.  I've always done my own extensions except when I had a work permit.  This will be my 10th year at Jomtien, and like the past 9 years, nothing is what it's supposed to be.  I'm just tired of playing their games.

Again, thanks for your help.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Yes, an agent will do it for me. 

I wonder which IO will issue the 'rogue' extension, Khon Kaen perhaps, then you have another issue, but don't worry, for additional fees the agent can sort them out too.

• Confused 1