U.S. D list towns & cities revisited as low budget repatriation options (rent under 1000)

16 minutes ago, swissie said:

I don't want to come across as a "smart alec", but assuming you have a valid drivers licence, why not buy a small motor home or a large van? That way you have housing AND transportation.

Don't know how it is today, but "back then", I could park my motor home just about anywhere I wanted too (overnight).

Not so in Europe. Outside of "campgrounds", a friendly police officer will wake you at 2 AM asking "what the hell are you doing here".

To live in the US does have certain advantages (unless that too has changed).

No interest whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No interest whatsoever.

Your choice. Still, a zillion of senior Americans like this lifestyle. =snowbirds. Usually "happy campers", not having to pay horrendeous rents.

42 minutes ago, swissie said:

Your choice. Still, a zillion of senior Americans like this lifestyle. =snowbirds. Usually "happy campers", not having to pay horrendeous rents.

That's very debatable.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's very debatable.

The debate usually stops, when an individual realises that he can not afford to live in Palm Springs.

Folks, seeking cheap living in combination with a high cultural level should not look for a domicile in Alabama or Gary Indiana.

Many famous Indian Gurus have proclaimed that in old age one must keep it's feet on the ground, as to "soar like an eagle is the privilege of the youth of the world".

For you and me, our "soaring days" are over. Only remedy: Adjust in a fast changing world. Or better: Stay in Thailand.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, swissie said:

The debate usually stops, when an individual realises that he can not afford to live in Palm Springs.

Folks, seeking cheap living in combination with a high cultural level should not look for a domicile in Alabama or Gary Indiana.

Many famous Indian Gurus have proclaimed that in old age one must keep it's feet on the ground, as to "soar like an eagle is the privilege of the youth of the world".

For you and me, our "soaring days" are over. Only remedy: Adjust in a fast changing world. Or better: Stay in Thailand.

Tastes are subjective.

If I could afford anywhere, Palm Spring wouldn't be on my list.

Huntington, Birmingham, and Montgomery AL offer some cultural amenities.

Gary IN is F list, not D list.

I'm aware of the Hindu thing of old people letting go of material things to become spiritual wanderers. If they want.

As stated before, for me personally repatriating to any place in the US is a third choice after staying in Thailand or moving to a third country like Mexico. 

But I'm sure many others on a budget put retiring in the US as the most desirable. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 6/20/2024 at 1:43 PM, Jingthing said:

No interest whatsoever.

I agree stealth camping out of a serial killer mobiles isnt what the cool kids are doing n these days. It has become much harder just to "park" somewhere.

Van Life is an answer for city parking. It's very popular and I'm trying it next in Europe.

In EU area many gas station chains offer safe place to park, shower n breakfast"ˇ for cheap.

My budget is low, to see if I like it, and I don't want to take a bath when I sell it it's not for me.

There are thousands on great videos since van people are not bozos who buy "the biggest n best" to show off.

https://bearfoottheory.com/van-life-101-how-to-guide/

NOTE; This is only for 4-5 months in summer time! For winter it's Asia again, or Spain or the US, etc. Gotta have 26 C minimum.

Edited by GypsyT

Thousands of houses, mobile homes on own lots, land in Texas can be purchased under your $1000 monthly rent limit.

No state income tax, homestead and senior exemptions, VA loans. 

When Thailand decides to tax worldwide income.............

One of my old friends once obtained a large Pace Arrow motorhome for almost nothing. Everything worked, and all he had to do was update the upholstery.  He didn’t really want it, but figured that for $1800, he couldn’t pass up the deal. I think he used it once or twice.  The rest of the time, it just sat there.  He finally got the bright idea to rent it out.  And he managed to get a lot of customers.  People who wanted a vacation with the family, people who wanted a vacation in a motorhome, and people who didn’t mind that the miles per gallon rate horrendous. I think the thing got five miles per gallon. 

Anyway, something was always going wrong, but under the rental agreement, people had to pay for whatever they broke.  

I think the people who only want to rent one once in a while have the right idea.