What can substitute a money safe?

12 hours ago, still kicking said:

Banks are only good for people living in Thailand and credit cards are only for young people. I did apply for a credit card at my bank and the answer was no. Because I am a pensioner.

Why would you, anyone need a Thai credit card ? Visa & Master cards are accepted all over the world.

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Why would you, anyone need a Thai credit card ? Visa & Master cards are accepted all over the world.

1 hour ago, scotty1286 said:

To pay for things in Thailand from your Thai bank account without any currency exchange fees ?

That would be a debit card

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

Or a Thai Credit card...., which you get points for using etc which you don't get with debit card.

Just recently got an Ipad for the Mrs from points and still got a load left.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, scotty1286 said:

Or a Thai Credit card...., which you get points for using etc which you don't get with debit card.

Just recently got an Ipad for the Mrs from points and still got a load left.

And of course you pay your Thai credit card bill from your Thai bank account.

On 4/20/2024 at 3:50 PM, still kicking said:

Banks are only good for people living in Thailand and credit cards are only for young people. I did apply for a credit card at my bank and the answer was no. Because I am a pensioner.

Nonsense and BS.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, AreYouGerman said:

Nonsense and BS.

I'm not sure what the process is in Thailand for us visitors ,maybe an agent could help.

Of course one must do the due diligence at cost vs ratio 

Or cost vs ........?

Never, ever leave cash money in a hotel room safe. ALL the staff have the override codes to access it. You may not miss a few notes. OK for passports or laptops but NOT cash!

If I'm lucky enough to have cash when on tour, I will leave it locked in bike box. If not on a bike tour will leave it under the liner of the waste paper bin (overnight but not when room cleaners are likely to attend). Alternatively, hide behind the TV or fridge/freezer. Best option is to carry on person as safer. How many here got robbed of cash unwillingly? Maybe a few made some bad choices and got releived of cash by ladies. 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm not sure what the process is in Thailand for us visitors ,maybe an agent could help.

Of course one must do the due diligence at cost vs ratio 

Or cost vs ........?

The part about 'debit cards are for young people' is hilarious, because it's for boomers. We 'young people' have virtual debit cards with our NFC phones.

Anyway, I mean, I am not 100% what you are asking? I used a lawyer as an agent because he was offering it while I he did my Thai company stuff. Years ago where it was possible to do it without an agent. Now? Just use an agent, what's the issue?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AreYouGerman said:

The part about 'debit cards are for young people' is hilarious, because it's for boomers. We 'young people' have virtual debit cards with our NFC phones.

Anyway, I mean, I am not 100% what you are asking? I used a lawyer as an agent because he was offering it while I he did my Thai company stuff. Years ago where it was possible to do it without an agent. Now? Just use an agent, what's the issue?

I'm not good at ratio vs cost being a amateur data analyst 

But the cost to obtain one for us visitors /tourists, from a visa agent possibly could be a fee of 5ooo baht 

Then again of course,you can have it every trip to Thailand ,is it worth opening a bank account for a once a year long trip ,one must analyse that 

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

I'm not good at ratio vs cost being a amateur data analyst 

But the cost to obtain one for us visitors /tourists, from a visa agent possibly could be a fee of 5ooo baht 

Then again of course,you can have it every trip to Thailand ,is it worth opening a bank account for a once a year long trip ,one must analyse that 

If you don't need it, then don't get one?

If you are that short on cash that 5000 THB is an investment... I dont think you need another bank account.

• Sad 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:50 PM, still kicking said:

credit cards are only for young people

Credit cards are not only for young people. 

I have 2 Kasikorn credit cards, also a spouse credit card.

I receive points from transactions, these points add up quickly, I use points for many things. 

The Kasikorn app is a great tool, it allows me to pay for utilities etc. with these points. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Poor bloke needs a girlfriend with a bank account and a debit card to leave it with.

Deffo safe that way for sure.😊👌👍🤣

He should have passport with him at all times for identification like it says In the brochure.

31 minutes ago, wombat said:

Poor bloke needs a girlfriend with a bank account and a debit card to leave it with.

Deffo safe that way for sure.😊👌👍🤣

He should have passport with him at all times for identification like it says In the brochure.

Ahhhh ,great point ..he does have a Gf , maybe he can transfer the $$$ from Australia into her Thai bank account 

Very good points 🙏

I have a credit card that doesn't charge foreign currency exchange fees on my purchases.  It is very useful for travellers.

Or, you can get a card that does not charge for foreign ATM transaction fees.

20 hours ago, JayClay said:

Maybe I should have been more clear. I didn't mean debit card. All nationality visa or master cards are able to be used internationally. I use my Aussie bank visa card in every country I visit. Why would I need a Thai credit card ?

The best hiding place is inside dirty socks in a laundry basket, with a couple of sets of used underwear on top.

This has worked for me over the years, sell a truck on the weekend  and stash the cash.  :biggrin:

What's so safe about the safety boxes in hotels..do you know the staff can open the safes ...

Google will show you how to open the so called safety boxes without a Pin number...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Banks are only good for people living in Thailand and credit cards are only for young people

Nonsense.

I did apply for a credit card at my bank and the answer was no. Because I am a pensioner.

Banks will issue a credit card for you secured by a cash deposit (minimum may apply). The credit limit will be equal to the amount of the deposit. I had one of these for a while, secured by B50,000. I later worked for a Thai company and converted it to a standard card. After I left the company, the bank allowed me to keep it. I'd established a good payment record.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Yes he should of have asked first before renting it off Airbnb but he says you can't contact the owner first on this Airbnb .

I highly doubt that he can't contact the owner prior to completing the booking. Airbnb just doesn't work like that. More likely that he doesn't know how to or forgot.

Anyway FWIW when travelling I use one of these portable stainless steel mesh & cable backpack-sized security bags together with a good quality padlock. They roll up into a small space (when not in use) and can be secured to almost anything. Nothing is going to stop a determined thief, but this will slow them down and probably avert a snatch & grab type situation.

meshbag.jpg.18269b743e1cf7cbaa6daf38d9c7915e.jpg

49 minutes ago, AverageAussie said:

I highly doubt that he can't contact the owner prior to completing the booking. Airbnb just doesn't work like that. More likely that he doesn't know how to or forgot.

Anyway FWIW when travelling I use one of these portable stainless steel mesh & cable backpack-sized security bags together with a good quality padlock. They roll up into a small space (when not in use) and can be secured to almost anything. Nothing is going to stop a determined thief, but this will slow them down and probably avert a snatch & grab type situation.

meshbag.jpg.18269b743e1cf7cbaa6daf38d9c7915e.jpg

May I ask where you got them?

I'm wondering if Lazada may sell similar

• Like 1