Phuket car rentals must verify tourist driving licenses

webfact

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Whilst that is correct... they can atleast request the renter to show a licence that match name, country and photo in passport as well as an expiry date not passed.

And without question, extend the same to renting a motorbike!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

In this situation you have someone who wants to rent a vehicle and a dealer that wants to satisfy the customer for his own livelihood. There are no other parties involved in the transaction. What is to stop the renter using a fake licence and the loaner accepting it? 

To me this will achieve nothing. It is against the natures of both parties to accept an obviously false or even no, licence and to take a chance. The dealer risks nothing as he is likely Thai, and if the police become involved after an accident, the dealer is a victim because his property is damaged. The renter, ie the driver will be found at fault by the police and by the courts if it goes to court. 

The only country where I’ve never been asked for proof of a driver license is Thailand anywhere else in the world you have to show it after all a driver license is like a passport giving all your details

I thought there were reciprocal treaties where US (for example) licenses were acceptable for a limited time with no IDP required. And Thai licenses are accepted in the USA, for a limited time.

• Like 1

Wait a minute guys this was always the law, just the lazy police never follow it up, 

How about when you are on your road blocks stopping bikes and scooters for no helmets, no license so no insurance, why do you fine them and let them ride away? No confiscate the bike or car, make the rental company come and collect it from the cop shop, 

Last week I have some Russian guest got the hump with me because I wouldn't rent them a scooter, he didn't have a license, the problem is he's got one from somewhere, but not from me, 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

I thought there were reciprocal treaties where US (for example) licenses were acceptable for a limited time with no IDP required. And Thai licenses are accepted in the USA, for a limited time.

The IDP is a translation of your license into English, under the Geneva convention 1948, years ago I had one and it had a UN stamp on it, 

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

used to be here but now they insist on the IDP . The international convention now states that the license used must be in the official language of the country it is used in. hence the need for the IDP.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Err by looking at it....

Yeh they will all have knowledge about how each of the thousands of different licenses look.  Oh not thousands only 750 or so?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

IDP is a translation of your driver license. If it’s in English there should be no need to have an IDP. It’s a scam to fine you. 

Yes, something wrong here. Always just used my OZ license as there is a recipricol agreement between Thailand and OZ (NSW at least). When I hire a car back in OZ I use my Thai license and has always been accepted.

22 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How many Russians would have a M/C license, it's freezing, and icy there.    

In the winter much of Russia is usually cold and icy. In the spring it thaws, in summer much of Russia is warm ( by European standards: 20C +)  and dry. The autumn can be frosty at night but real winter doesn't usually start till November. 

You know you can find this sort of stuff out on the internet and save yourself embarrassment? 

49 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The IDP is a translation of your license into English, under the Geneva convention 1948, years ago I had one and it had a UN stamp on it, 

There are actually 3 different ones - 1926, 1949 and 1968.  Thailand requires the 1968 version.

A lot of people assume this means 'just driving licence'... but the Op is clear - licence for Car and Motorcycle. 

It has always been law that rental companies must see a valid Driving Licence or Valid Motorcycle Licence when renting out a car or motorcycle. 

The issue of course is that motorcycle rental companies rarely ask for this as they don't care, they just want the money and any lack of insurance is also irrelevant as they'll charge the customer directly for any damage - i.e. they side step any responsibility for renting out motorcycles to tourists without a valid motorcycle licence. 

The Police ??...   Well, they are just lazy - they are not going to visit motorcycle rental companies when a tourist is caught renting a motorcycle without a license - thats way too much effort, its easier to simply charge the tourist 500 baht.

It actually appears as though its preferred that the rental companies rent out the motorcycles to tourists without a licence as the BiB have greater opportunity to fine them at check-points.

This announcement - that Rental Companies area also accountable when renting out vehicles to those without a licence has been made before.....  its been made numerous times.

Its as if those officials who make the announcement believe the mere announcement itself is sufficient to effect change... 

• Agree 2

Asking people for an IDP is going to come as a big surpise to a lot of western tourists (and probably hurt rental business). Fact is, you can't legally drive in Thailand with only a driver's license from your home country (except for some/most ASEAN countries who signed on to a special treaty). I suspect if the rental company is insured (for loss and damages to assets), renting to someone without a valid DL would presumably void any coverage they did have. Crazy to rent to anyone without a valid DL. And, if the tourist want that free healthcare insurance, if in event they crash, I suspect the rental will have had to be made with a valid DL.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1