UN Report Warns Of Asia's Increasing Climate Crisis

webfact

17 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Still making up excuses for the serial scaremonger who is always wrong. Pretty desperate.

Always wrong?

Is Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth accurate?

The majority of the film, covering issues like Himalayan Glaciers, Greenland and Antarctica losing ice, the severity of hurricanes and other weather phenomena, was accurate and represented the science as it stood. Since the release of the film, considerably more evidence has been found in support of the science and projections in the film.

https://skepticalscience.com/print.php?r=187

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

Always wrong?

Is Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth accurate?

The majority of the film, covering issues like Himalayan Glaciers, Greenland and Antarctica losing ice, the severity of hurricanes and other weather phenomena, was accurate and represented the science as it stood. Since the release of the film, considerably more evidence has been found in support of the science and projections in the film.

https://skepticalscience.com/print.php?r=187

That would be wrong still. If I say it warms tomorrow by 5 degrees and it only warms by 1 I'm still wrong. At least learn something about predictions. Fairly basic science.

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

That would be wrong still. If I say it warms tomorrow by 5 degrees and it only warms by 1 I'm still wrong. At least learn something about predictions. Fairly basic science.

what would be wrong still? What predictions about glaciers, the severity of hurricanes, etc was wrong?

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

This is your idea of evidence?

Tell me how many people died from storms in the last 20 years compared to the previous 100 years on a decadel basis.

Can you not even look up the science?

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

All the details. 

"The film includes segments intended to refute critics who say that global warming is unproven or that warming will be insignificant. For example, Gore cites the retreat of nearly all glaciers caused by melting over recent decades, showing nine cases, such as the Grinnel and Boulder Glaciers and Patagonia. He discusses the possibility of the collapse and melting of a major ice sheet in Greenland or in West Antarctica, either of which could raise global sea levels by approximately 20 feet (6m), flooding coastal areas and producing 100 million refugees. Melt water from Greenland, because of its lower salinity, could then halt the currents that keep northern Europe warm and quickly trigger dramatic local cooling there. It also contains various short animated projections of what could happen to different animals more vulnerable to global warming."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth#:~:text=The film includes segments intended,and Boulder Glaciers and Patagonia.

None of this is inconsistent with climatological research.

• Like 1

"The film includes segments intended to refute critics who say that global warming is unproven or that warming will be insignificant. For example, Gore cites the retreat of nearly all glaciers caused by melting over recent decades, showing nine cases, such as the Grinnel and Boulder Glaciers and Patagonia. He discusses the possibility of the collapse and melting of a major ice sheet in Greenland or in West Antarctica, either of which could raise global sea levels by approximately 20 feet (6m), flooding coastal areas and producing 100 million refugees. Melt water from Greenland, because of its lower salinity, could then halt the currents that keep northern Europe warm and quickly trigger dramatic local cooling there. It also contains various short animated projections of what could happen to different animals more vulnerable to global warming."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth#:~:text=The film includes segments intended,and Boulder Glaciers and Patagonia.

None of this is inconsistent with climatological research.

6m sea rises. Thanks for the comedy show. No credibility left.

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Tell me how many people died from storms in the last 20 years compared to the previous 100 years on a decadel basis.

The response to certain disasters, like hurricanes, has greatly improved thanks to greatly improved forecasting and transportation, and medical progress. But the consequences of other slow moving disasters like ocean acidification, sea level rise, and loss of glaciers, aren't so easily remedied

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, susanlea said:

What a weird approach, you do know that we have these things called "satellites" which can warn people about imminent storms, and have saved countless lives? To you, that means global warming isn't real.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The response to certain disasters, like hurricanes, has greatly improved thanks to greatly improved forecasting and transportation, and medical progress. But the consequences of other slow moving disasters like ocean acidification, sea level rise, and loss of glaciers, aren't so easily remedied

Climate deaths down 99%, world hunger down, world population up 2bn since 2000.

The pretend crisis is a scam. It was supposed to kill millions. 

Endless lies to make money.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Conversely, if you say there is no warming, but the temperature rises, you are wrong.

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

What a weird approach, you do know that we have these things called "satellites" which can warn people about imminent storms, and have saved countless lives? To you, that means global warming isn't real.

Nothing wrong with warming. World hunger index is down, population is up. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Carbon Dioxide levels are increasing and push up global temperature.

That's reality.

So what? The world is doing better. At least learn something about the facts that matter. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Nothing wrong with warming. World hunger index is down, population is up. 

Landslides and massive flooding kills dozens in Brazil

Hundreds Die In Floods Around The World As Schools Closed, Flights Canceled, Mandatory Evacuations Ordered

Kenya floods claim 228 lives as cyclone approaches coast

I don't think you are keeping up on current events.

Edited by Danderman123

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

6m sea rises. Thanks for the comedy show. No credibility left.

You really don't have a clue about the current state of research, do you?

Antarctic ice sheet collapse could add 3 meters to sea-level rise

The East Antarctic Ice Sheet could be in more danger of collapsing than previously thought, National Geographic reports. The ice sheet is the world's largest, holding 80% of the planet's ice. But some 400,000 years ago, a large chunk about the size of Arizona collapsed into the ocean, causing sea levels to rise by more than 3 meters. The worrying thing is that this happened during a period of relatively mild warmth, according to a study published yesterday in Nature. And it could happen again. 

https://www.science.org/content/article/antarctic-ice-sheet-collapse-could-add-3-metres-sea-level-rise

West Antarctic ice sheet faces ‘unavoidable’ melting, a warning for sea level rise

Accelerating ice losses are all but “unavoidable” this century in vulnerable West Antarctic ice shelves as waters warm around them, according to new research. And the analysis could mean scientists were too conservative in predicting about one to three feet of sea level rise by 2100.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/10/23/sea-live-rise-antarctic-ice-loss/

Greenland losing 30m tonnes of ice an hour, study reveals

A significant part of the Greenland ice sheet itself is also thought by scientists to be close to a tipping point of irreversible melting, with ice equivalent to 1-2 metres of sea level rise probably already expected.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/17/greenland-losing-30m-tonnes-of-ice-an-hour-study-reveals#:~:text=A recent study suggested the,level rise probably already expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

False. It's not the same old same old Major insurance companies are actually refusing to take on new properties and some are even abandoning the California market. 

California loses 2 more property insurers in growing crisis

"However, as a rising number of insurers have limited coverage or exited the state, some homeowners are left with only the insurance option of last resort, the government-created FAIR Plan. Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara is trying to stem the exodus with a new “Sustainable Insurance Strategy,” which includes rules that insurers must write at least an average of 85% of their California market share in high wildfire risk communities."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/california-loses-two-more-property-insurers-growing-crisis...

Thank you for proving my point. Did you read the article?

"State Farm followed suit last year, saying it would stop accepting new home insurance applications in California due to "historic" increases in construction costs and inflation"

"After State Farm announced last month that it would cut 72,000 home and apartment policies in California because of inflation, regulatory costs and increasing risks from catastrophes, California's insurance commissioner, Ricardo Lara, told KCRA, "This is a real crisis."

Catastrophes is mentioned last. 

These are pointless discussions.  I honestly don't care what religion people choose to follow as long as they respect my right to think for myself and arrive at my own conclusions. 

You really don't have a clue about the current state of research, do you?

Antarctic ice sheet collapse could add 3 meters to sea-level rise

The East Antarctic Ice Sheet could be in more danger of collapsing than previously thought, National Geographic reports. The ice sheet is the world's largest, holding 80% of the planet's ice. But some 400,000 years ago, a large chunk about the size of Arizona collapsed into the ocean, causing sea levels to rise by more than 3 meters. The worrying thing is that this happened during a period of relatively mild warmth, according to a study published yesterday in Nature. And it could happen again. 

https://www.science.org/content/article/antarctic-ice-sheet-collapse-could-add-3-metres-sea-level-rise

West Antarctic ice sheet faces ‘unavoidable’ melting, a warning for sea level rise

Accelerating ice losses are all but “unavoidable” this century in vulnerable West Antarctic ice shelves as waters warm around them, according to new research. And the analysis could mean scientists were too conservative in predicting about one to three feet of sea level rise by 2100.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/10/23/sea-live-rise-antarctic-ice-loss/

Greenland losing 30m tonnes of ice an hour, study reveals

A significant part of the Greenland ice sheet itself is also thought by scientists to be close to a tipping point of irreversible melting, with ice equivalent to 1-2 metres of sea level rise probably already expected.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/17/greenland-losing-30m-tonnes-of-ice-an-hour-study-reveals#:~:text=A recent study suggested the,level rise probably already expected.

Who cares? More scaremongering. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Obesity kills millions. Thanks for showing you don't understand science.

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Climate deaths down 99%, world hunger down, world population up 2bn since 2000.

The pretend crisis is a scam. It was supposed to kill millions. 

Endless lies to make money.

Even before the covid pandemic, world hunger was on the rise:

Global hunger continues to rise, new UN report says

821 million people now hungry and over 150 million children stunted, putting hunger eradication goal at risk

https://www.unicef.org/eap/press-releases/global-hunger-continues-rise-new-un-report-says

Can you cite some evidence from scientific journals or the IPCC report that predicted that millions would have died already?

• Like 1

Even before the covid pandemic, world hunger was on the rise:

Global hunger continues to rise, new UN report says

821 million people now hungry and over 150 million children stunted, putting hunger eradication goal at risk

https://www.unicef.org/eap/press-releases/global-hunger-continues-rise-new-un-report-says

Can you cite some evidence from scientific journals or the IPCC report that predicted that millions would have died already?

False claims and scaremongering. World hunger is down since 2000.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Who cares? More scaremongering. 

Right. All this information reported on comes from the world's leading scientific journals. So on the one hand, we have an anonymous poster on aseannow.com on one side of the issue, and actual scientific researchers on the other. I'm going to do the crazy thing and go along with the scientists. You've got nothing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Thank you for proving my point. Did you read the article?

"State Farm followed suit last year, saying it would stop accepting new home insurance applications in California due to "historic" increases in construction costs and inflation"

"After State Farm announced last month that it would cut 72,000 home and apartment policies in California because of inflation, regulatory costs and increasing risks from catastrophes, California's insurance commissioner, Ricardo Lara, told KCRA, "This is a real crisis."

Catastrophes is mentioned last. 

These are pointless discussions.  I honestly don't care what religion people choose to follow as long as they respect my right to think for myself and arrive at my own conclusions. 

And why does being mentioned last make it of little or no account?

Right. All this information reported on comes from the world's leading scientific journals. So on the one hand, we have an anonymous poster on aseannow.com on one side of the issue, and actual scientific researchers on the other. I'm going to do the crazy thing and go along with the scientists. You've got nothing.

You quoted The Guardian.

Just now, placeholder said:

And why does being mentioned last make it of little or no account?

At least learn something today. Journalists add in climate change all the time. If listed last that means not the number 1 factor.