Bangkok Governor Targets Taxi and Tuk-Tuk Overcharging

webfact

waited for 10 taxis at the taxi stand at Centralworld last week and every single taxi refused to use the meter and tried to gouge me for 200+ thb for a 70 thb trip

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

What is the reason for that Newton, given I quit getting stopped when I quit speeding?

Wat that you doing 60 in the right lane? Why buy a car when you can’t afford to put gas in it? Hey, get you a BYD EV, they’re really really cheap and cost almost nothing to drive. 

Using 30% less gas isn’t only about money. I honestly wouldn’t expect humans to understand. Maybe I’ll numb myself and and get a drinking habit and start driving 120 soon too

On 4/29/2024 at 3:25 PM, ikke1959 said:

Not my words kids were saying that.... On the other hand we had a conversation with a few wives from policeofficers and they told us, that their husband was bored being a policeman as their boss wanted that they took bribes or unregistered fines and hand them to him( the boss).... just to say

Keep them coming.........

On 4/29/2024 at 1:51 PM, Yagoda said:

I have had one taxi problem in 30 plus years, sucks to be you guys

You’ve only taken one taxi in 30 plus years? 

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:00 PM, Metapod said:

waited for 10 taxis at the taxi stand at Centralworld last week and every single taxi refused to use the meter and tried to gouge me for 200+ thb for a 70 thb trip

Possible remedies:

Grab.

Walk 10 meters to the street and flag a taxi.

On 4/29/2024 at 7:39 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I see lots of taxi-no-meter blocking the streets all the time, and 99% of the time the police do nothing about it. 

One of the most obvious is outside the Banglamphu/ Khaosan Police Station.

There's a simple solution that i saw in China. 

EVERY TAXI DRIVER must have a camera fitted in their vehicle that records. In case of dispute any local enforcement can easily check the camera to see what went on. 

In the US Uber already require drivers to have cameras, and there should be no reason why a small cheap camera could not be installed in every taxi in Thailand. If drivers fail to have them installed or TURNED OFF then they face harsh penalties. 

Taxi drivers in Bangkok really do take the biscuit, and they're not pushing it by simply hiding their ID's - which is actually a dangerous step. 

10 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Possible remedies:

Grab.

Walk 10 meters to the street and flag a taxi.

Already tried 5+ taxes on the street BEFORE using the taxi stand. All tried to scam.

Calling grab to Centralworld? Sure, if you like waiting 20+ minutes for them to arrive. 

Motorbike taxi wasn't an option as I had too many things to carry. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Metapod said:

Already tried 5+ taxes on the street BEFORE using the taxi stand. All tried to scam.

Calling grab to Centralworld? Sure, if you like waiting 20+ minutes for them to arrive. 

Motorbike taxi wasn't an option as I had too many things to carry. 

I really think you are a bit irrational.

Can't wait 20 minutes for a Grab?, how much time did you spend flagging taxis in the street and trying to get a taxi at the taxi stand?

You have an armload of purchases from Centralworld but you don't want to pop for a taxi for 200 baht? How much did you spend in Centralworld?

When you were shopping in Centralworld did you apply the same kind of value for money analysis to your purchases?

Did you ultimately walk from Centralworld to your destination?

If all the taxis want 200 baht then that was the going rate wasn't it?

I know, you remember when it cost 5 cents to go to the movies but that was then, prices have gone up now.

Edited by cdemundo