Do you drive wifey around on motorbike with side cart (saleng) ?

My ole lady is to hiso to even contemplate riding in a saleng with a foreigner at the helm. Maybe as a crutch if foreigner has no balance but then a car or truck seems better.

3 minutes ago, sungod said:

I make mine run behind. I know it may sound harsh to some.

But I do show some consideration and slow down uphill for her.

:cheesy:

No, as they are not very comfortable, unless extremely modified.  Plus add a whole new driving physics, although some shade would be nice.   I've considered adding one to the scooter a few times.   Would only do if it had a quick release for easy removal for when not brutally sunny out.

We just take the car, as parking isn't that big an issue where we live.  Although a saleng would defeat the purpose, almost, of taking the scooter.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

My ole lady is to hiso to even contemplate riding in a saleng with a foreigner at the helm. Maybe as a crutch if foreigner has no balance but then a car or truck seems better.

I did own a motorcycle/sidecar in my early days as a cheap form of family transport. But I never really liked it and they can be a real bitch to handle. 

If I did need cheap 2 person transport here I'd opt for an EV trike. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Back in the 1950s when I was riding a motorcycle combination, they were regarded as the safest means of transport on the road. Pic. Me introducing my son to motorbikes in 1960.image.thumb.jpeg.ac951a8d2ec282dc9514f3001de1406c.jpeg

I owned one for three years and I'd say they are the most unsafe vehicle on the road. I hated it and was really glad to be rid of it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I owned one for three years and I'd say they are the most unsafe vehicle on the road. I hated it and was really glad to be rid of it.

Each to his own.👍

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I reckon a disability scooter travelling at 60km/h would be more dangerous. 

• Haha 1

My missus won’t even go on the back of my motorcycle….  
Though she did once down the local soi & I think she enjoyed it.

I suggested we dye our hair henna orange - Van-van & Seqoi (biker guy .& girl). 

In Trat on the way to the koh Chang ferry  I saw a whole western family on one on the main road (cars doing 90 kmh past them) - lethal.?

44 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I always used to fancy one of these things But never quite got there.

Motorcycle sidecar racing hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

My son and grandson raced one until his wife objected to the risk of losing both of themimage.png.3eb1b387b5bf695148a7d6b2ecbb804a.png

59 minutes ago, loong said:

A Farang driving a motorbike and sidecar with passenger(s) in the sidecar may draw the attention of the police as an easy way to make a few baht!

You can carry goods but not passengers in the sidecar.

Depends how rural you are, they usually point and laugh when they see me...

5 hours ago, sungod said:

I make mine run behind. I know it may sound harsh to some.

But I do show some consideration and slow down uphill for her.

Do you have to kick start her ? 

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Back in the 1950s when I was riding a motorcycle combination, they were regarded as the safest means of transport on the road.

Back in those days cars were a lot less reliable and there were very few of them on the road so it's quite likely true to say a motorcycle combination was the safest thing on the road, but not any more.

By the way. Like the 1960's blow wave.

Probably not the most popular opinion here, but I shake my head in disbelief when I see expats using them (usually in coastal towns). Talk about lack of class or self respect. I wouldn't degrade my family to that level.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, loong said:

A Farang driving a motorbike and sidecar with passenger(s) in the sidecar may draw the attention of the police as an easy way to make a few baht!

You can carry goods but not passengers in the sidecar.

Yea right ,Same as it's Illegal  to carrying people in the Luggage department of a Ute (truck) .

No one cares Not even the fuzz.

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I would hope you are too hiso to even consider it too. 

21 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

if only more threads could be as pleasantly amusing as this one.

No ..no.. nearly a whole page of decent comments.... let's get some bickering, pedantic, know it all <deleted> on here....

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Back in those days cars were a lot less reliable and there were very few of them on the road so it's quite likely true to say a motorcycle combination was the safest thing on the road, but not any more.

By the way. Like the 1960's blow wave.

Cheeky boy.😀

18 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

OK

I'm jealous.

Why are bald heads so shiny, when the skin elsewhere on your ...

That's a nice head of skin. All it needs is a spit and polish in the mornings. You're in fashion. Quiffs went out ages ago. :wink:

• Haha 1